Planes

Lroy

19 minutes ago, Fankle said:

Aye once smoking was banned the airlines could use cheaper less powerful air filters I believe...

Not to do with the smoking ban or the quality of the filters, although filtration is part of the issue.

Cabin air is derived from the aircraft engines. Some of the air which is sucked into the engines to combust and propel the aircraft is diverted into the cabin. It is filtered to eliminate - or, more correctly, reduce - the incidence of organophosphates, hydrocarbons, additives etc in the engine oil. The concentration of these in the air should be well within human tolerances.

What is more of an issue is the frequency of the cycles of replacing the cabin air. It's simpler to filter and recycle the air in the cabin than it is to replace the cabin air with "fresh" air from the engines.

The exception to this method is the B787 Dreamliner which takes in air through the aircraft hull via compressors.

This is a gross over-simplification but there has been a lot of papers published in the subject by experts in aviation medicine.

I had to remove and re-install aircraft bathrooms in a previous job...rip them oot down to the frame to install a modification, then put that bad boy back together.
It could be a wrassle

Love flying, hate turbulence (especially when I'm trying to eat) and detest the whole security rigmarole.
Best flight I had recently was with Lufthansa (Chicago to Dusseldorf), definitely a notch or two above the usual cattle class level in terms of service, even a cheeky wee post meal brandy on offer.

Not sure on the air recycling issue, my understanding is along these lines...
Cabin air quality

5 hours ago, RayD said:

I had to remove and re-install aircraft bathrooms in a previous job...rip them oot down to the frame to install a modification, then put that bad boy back together.
It could be a wrassle

Love flying, hate turbulence (especially when I'm trying to eat) and detest the whole security rigmarole.
Best flight I had recently was with Lufthansa (Chicago to Dusseldorf), definitely a notch or two above the usual cattle class level in terms of service, even a cheeky wee post meal brandy on offer.

Not sure on the air recycling issue, my understanding is along these lines...
Cabin air quality

We flew with them for the Scotland game in Dortmund in 2014 and we got a glass bottle of German Beer with our snacks (500ml!)

6 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

We did it to Mexico in April, hope you have upgraded to Premium, absolutely superb

Dreamliner to Thailand last year, was guid, choosing your window tint rather than a shutter was a novelty.

Was on the A380 this year though, superb, that's the way to fly.

A wee ATR - 75 to Dublin last week, no thanks, no worth it.

Best plane I've been on was an ancient plane, something like a 20 seater. Was for a foreign crew change for ship. Not windtight , you could watch pilots flying and one just turned head to give safety brief. You could see bags at back behind a cargo net.

They had another that one of the crew sat in co-pilot seat but never got to go on that one

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Plane Story:

I was looking about of Google Earth around where I live and spotted a big Vulcan bomber. Much confusement. Found out there is a little know air museum in my town with a few cold war planes. Lived in the North East 5 years and didn't know about it.

Turn up, £5 to get in, some cracking aircraft but run by a bunch of old blokes in port-a-cabins who have no idea about advertising or running a museum, they just do it for the hell of it.

Just as I'm about to go, they ask "I don't suppose you want to go inside the Vulcan." Yes, yes I do.

IMG_20160228_122026263_HDR.jpg