Team v Arabs?

boydiesback

6 hours ago, GCM said:

Can't fault McKenzie for effort, however if he is playing on the left he has to take on his man, get to the byeline and make some crosses. He continually cuts inside and invariably runs into players. If he cuts inside he has to shoot more.

Haunstrup also cuts inside too often

I wouldn't be surprised if TW still plays Pinnock on Saturday. 

Why are wide players expected to "get to the bye line"?

I've never understood this. 

25 minutes ago, Angelo's Ashes said:

Because when the attacker crossesthe ball into the box from there is a lot harder to defend against as opposed to launching it from just over the half way line. 
As it’s been so long since we’ve actually seen it happening I can understand why you’ve perhaps forgotten. 

52 minutes ago, Angelo's Ashes said:

Cutting the ball back from the goal-line offers more options to the crosser. Depending on the angle of the cutback, more of the pitch is "in play" than with cross angled from deep.

It's easier for inrushing attackers to attack the ball than a cross angled in from deep. For example, a header with forehead instead of a glanced or flicked header from a deeper cross. 

Defenders are moving back towards their own goal increasing the chances of an OG, and their attention is distracted from attackers arriving in the space the defenders have just left. 

Goalkeepers too are having to adjust their position from sideways on to the goal, protecting the near post, to a half turn to face whatever arrives from the cross. A cross to the back post means the keeper has to move from one side of the goal to the other very quickly. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Cutting the ball back from the goal-line offers more options to the crosser. Depending on the angle of the cutback, more of the pitch is "in play" than with cross angled from deep.

It's easier for inrushing attackers to attack the ball than a cross angled in from deep. For example, a header with forehead instead of a glanced or flicked header from a deeper cross. 

Defenders are moving back towards their own goal increasing the chances of an OG, and their attention is distracted from attackers arriving in the space the defenders have just left. 

Goalkeepers too are having to adjust their position from sideways on to the goal, protecting the near post, to a half turn to face whatever arrives from the cross. A cross to the back post means the keeper has to move from one side of the goal to the other very quickly. 

A great summary of the effectiveness of the bye-line cross. 

I think we’ll see the tried and tested Dicker, Power, Mulumbu midfield trio most weeks from now on.  Two wide of Lafferty will go between Kiltie, Burke, McKenzie and Pinnock. Back 4 picks itself imo - McGowan, Kirk, Medley, Haunstrup with Rossi as good back up. Pierrick and Oakley as wildcards who may have something in the locker we’ve not seen yet. 

good luck gentlemen 

11 hours ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Off top of head, 1st goal for St. J, didn't track his mzn. St. Mirren jumped in needlessly got sold znx wandered back.

I think its time to conclude our mini debate over Rory as the basis of this forum is to express your opinion on whatever topic in hopefully a controlled and respectful manner.

The bottom line in the debate over this particular player is that more than any other he divides peoples opinion of him more than any of our others.

While I fully respect your and many other posters opinion of him there is no doubt he is definitely our 'marmite player at the moment and our opinion of him differs.

If our present manager decides to play him in the next 8 games that is his call and let us all hope that the most important thing is we will gain enough points to survive this year that is the thing we should be worrying about and not about the goals that Rory,Big Stu, Rodgers,Power,Millen, Dicker,Dikamona etc etc have cost us so far we cannot change that time to move on as one both on and off the field!

9 hours ago, pmonty3 said:

I think we’ll see the tried and tested Dicker, Power, Mulumbu midfield trio most weeks from now on.  Two wide of Lafferty will go between Kiltie, Burke, McKenzie and Pinnock. Back 4 picks itself imo - McGowan, Kirk, Medley, Haunstrup with Rossi as good back up. Pierrick and Oakley as wildcards who may have something in the locker we’ve not seen yet. 

good luck gentlemen 

Agree with most of that. Also think he might stick with Doyle in goal as he has been ok so far

needs to be 

Rogers

McGowan         Broadfoot     Medley       Haunstrup 

Power                Mulumbu 

Burke                                                          McKenzie 

Kiltie 

Lafferty 

18 minutes ago, RayD said:

2nd time today someone has posted that Dundee Utd "are no very good"

They are 10 points ahead of us and have won 2 of their last 3 games (the loss coming agin rangers)

Despite being ten points better off, United’s goal difference is almost identical to ours which probably reflects how we have thrown away points by the odd silly goal.

Until we cut that out, we’ll continue to toil. 

1 hour ago, RayD said:

2nd time today someone has posted that Dundee Utd "are no very good"

They are 10 points ahead of us and have won 2 of their last 3 games (the loss coming agin rangers)

Looking at the style and set up of both teams, I think they represent OUR most beatable team right now.

This is why many of us feel that this is such a massive game psychologically, not only for our confidence but also for the message it sends our rivals.

Best battlers or best footballer - I would choose the battlers and thankfully a good few are in both lists.

..................................Either  Keeper

..................Rossi ...........Broadfoot ........ Medley

McKenzie...... Mulumbu......Tshbola.....Dabo.....Haunstrup

.......................Kiltie.......................Lafferty

With Burke, Dicker, Power, Pinnock, McGowan, Kabamba on the bench

Rodgers

mcgowan

broadfoot

medley

haunstrup

dicker

power

mulumbu

burke

kiltie

Lafferty

Would play as essentially a 4-4-1-1. Have dicker, power, mulumbu as a 3 in the middle and Burke out right, not necessarily have anyone on the left but give haunstrup the license to go forward to act as a wing back, if they break on is dicker drops into CB and medley covers LB.

Get kiltie playing off of lafferty, hopefully lafferty can come short and hold it in or lay it off to kiltie and then spin in behind. Important for Burke to have a good game need to give lafferty as many chance as possible to get his first goal.

Would have kabamba sitting somewhere up in the stand hopefully as far away from the pitch as possible