Dundee Utd Match Fred

C4mmy31

4 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

Pretty sure there were alot of folk on here criticising Brophy for shooting on sight instead of passing, now there are posts wanting players doing exactly what Brophy was doing instead of passing.  Is it because Lafferty has that bit of skill in him that when he does it will usually be on target, something Brophy rarely accomplished?? 

Also, watched the highlights of the game again and that was never a red card offence for Connolly.  

Rubbish .... on both counts.

1 hour ago, GCM said:

Sending off for me, no way is that other defender getting across, mind you Kabamba had still time to fall over himself.

Kabamba.jpg

From STV report: 

"Connolly was booked for pulling down the striker as he chased a ball in behind. The fact Kabamba was running towards the corner saved the former Killie player from the red card the home players were calling for."

3 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

From STV report: 

"Connolly was booked for pulling down the striker as he chased a ball in behind. The fact Kabamba was running towards the corner saved the former Killie player from the red card the home players were calling for."

The ref must've written the match report for STV....

2 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Defenders will take a yellow card all day long to cover up for their mistakes. It is clearly not a deterrent.

There might be cases where another punishment - sin-binning, say - would be appropriate but the law's quite clear on denial of a goal scoring opportunity. Either it is or it isn't.

At the time, I thought the other defender, giving him the benefit of the doubt, might have got across. In fact, he looks like he was running through treacle.

I also wondered if it was too far from from goal, which it wasn't.

It was a foul. It was an obvious goal scoring opportunity - it should have been a red card. 

1 minute ago, skygod said:

It was a foul. It was an obvious goal scoring opportunity - it should have been a red card. 

You can still make the case that Kabamba was chasing the ball into the corner not towards the goal. Again, it was not a clear cut red. If he had got a red card he could not IMO have argued but he got lucky.

A bit like the one Broadfoot flicked away from the keeper for Lafferty. Even after watching it several times from different angles Sean Malloney (who is IMO indeoendent) said he could not decide if it was a foul on the keeper or not. Again United just got the benifut of the doubt.

4 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

You can still make the case that Kabamba was chasing the ball into the corner not towards the goal.

It wouldn't be much of a case based on the evidence!

The foul by Broadfoot was fair enough - goalkeepers get that protection almost all the time.

United definitely got the benefit of the doubt in the two contentious incidents.

4 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I agree but then I'm old school and IMO cards are flashed about these days far too readily. 

He was not the last man and while it probably would have developed into a goal scoring opportunity it was not clearly so.

That said it was a cynical, professional foul of the kind that I would have expected one of our defenders to commit and is probably ruining the game as a spectacle. Perhaps we need something between a foul and a red card, like them having to play with 10 men for a period of say ten minutes.

Can you explain why he wasn’t the last man. There was nobody between him and the keeper unless you think the other defender that’s 20yds away parallel to him was actually in play. 

26 minutes ago, Garvis said:

Can you explain why he wasn’t the last man. There was nobody between him and the keeper unless you think the other defender that’s 20yds away parallel to him was actually in play. 

Look where Nicki is, look where the ball is and remember it was travelling in the direction of a line between him and the ball. He was chasing the ball towards the corner. He would have caught it and turned towards the goal but that may or may not have given the 2nd defender time to get between him and the goal. The the ref took the view that the defender could have got back.. 

I'm not saying the ref was 100% right but it is the decision he made.

36 minutes ago, Garvis said:

I’m pretty sure the last man thing has been done away with. All about goalscoring opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Look where Nicki is, look where the ball is and remember it was travelling in the direction of a line between him and the ball. He was chasing the ball towards the corner. He would have caught it and turned towards the goal but that may or may not have given the 2nd defender time to get between him and the goal. The the ref took the view that the defender could have got back.. 

Just watched it again the ball is heading into the box. Red card all day long for me.

29 minutes ago, Chris1810 said:

I’m pretty sure the last man thing has been done away with.

"The last man" has never really existed outside of commentators' cliche manual.

"Location and number of defenders" is still one if the factors the referee must consider:

The following must be considered:

• distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

11 minutes ago, skygod said:

"The last man" has never really existed outside of commentators' cliche manual.

"Location and number of defenders" is still one if the factors the referee must consider:

The following must be considered:

• distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

If all of those points had been taken into account it should have been a Red card in my honest opinion.

7 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Kabamba’s not a supertanker - one slight touch and both him and the ball change direction. He would have gotten a shot away i.e. a goal scoring opportunity. An obvious red card but the ref bottled it. 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:36 AM, Prahakillie said:

From STV report: 

Blimey, Lee Clark must have narrowed the pitch even more than I remember if that is heading for the corner flag....