Ross County Match Fred

C4mmy31

Just watched the match back.

Thought the first half was fine, with Power well to the fore. We lost the goal just before half-time but were on top over all.

What happened at half-time? We were ages late coming out and a lino was sent to get us out.

And then two inexplicable changes. McKenzie and Pinnock had done quite well in the first half and McGowan and Kabamba were strange replacements.

Then the shambles of two more goals conceded, followed by two more changes in personnel and formation. Too many changes in formation and personnel during matches by Mr Wright.

Dabo looked energetic. Lafferty and Kabamba were totally ineffectual in the second half. Power dropped out of the game. The crossing, especially from corners and free kicks is still rotten.

In fact, the second half was just a rabble and the manager must take some of the blame.

I wouldn’t be surprised though if something went on at half-time.

Edited by skygod

15 minutes ago, skygod said:

Thought the first half was fine, with Power well to the fore. We lost the goal just before half-time but were on top over all.

What happened at half-time? We were ages late coming out and a lino was sent to get us out.

And then two inexplicable changes. McKenzie and Pinnock had done quite well in the first half and McGowan and Kabamba were strange replacements.

Then the shambles of two more goals conceded, followed by two more changes in personnel and formation. Too many changes in formation and personnel during matches by Mr Wright.

Dabo looked energetic. Lafferty and Kabamba were totally ineffectual in the second half. Power dropped out of the game. The crossing, especially from corners and free kicks is still rotten.

In fact, the second half was just a rabble and the manager must take some of the blame.

Thought power was fine first half as well all our good work early in 1st half came from him .dont know what was said at halftime but we folded as soon as they scored 

It's natural that people watch the replay and their impression of certain players colours their view.. I'm no different.

I sat and watched sportscence and our fame coverage, as well listening to the interviews by TW.

1st goal ... poor punch by Doyle... terrible attempt by Dicker, he should have won the ball or at least stopped the player getting past him. Medlay makes no attempt to block the cross.. in the interviews TW points to the challenge and no attempt to cut out the cross as the problem.

For the second goal Medlay over commits and doesn't get the ball properly, enabling County to break forward.. County get some luck but make a good pass out wide where Mullen is posted missing. If Mckenzie was still on the park he wouldn't have as much space/time. TW commented that some players didn't do as instructed at half time.. both Mullen and Medlay could be guilty here.

Final goal.. hoofed over Broadfoot ..but we had cover and we let him have a shot and score .. no block or challenge by Medlay... both Kirk/Medlay should have stopped this.

So for 2 out of 3 goals .. most teams would have stopped by giving away a free kick... but we don't play smart enough.

We have terrible disciplinary record for reckless challenges.. but we don't do anywhere ear enough smart fouls.. County did this constantly to stop us move the ball forward quickly.

I'm not making excuses for any of the individual players..Medlay and Mullen were the biggest culprits along with Dicker yesterday.

On Mullen he must be fantastic  in training .. God knows its not how he plays on a Saturday. Yesterday he could have delayed the keepers kick out without getting booked.. and initially I thought he got booked for trying to take the free kick from the wrong place.. but he must have swore at the linesman.. played like a schoolboy... just stupid but helps that we won't play him in the next match.

As for TW he decided to go route one as the pitch didn't support the pass through midfield approach. But either his players don't listen or can't follow orders, the first 15mins after half time was woefull and looked like we had no idea of how to keep a good defensive line.. so as acoach he needs to address this.

Sky posted the Sevco stats post match today. The bottom one was goals conceded from errors. Are these stats available for every club? How many errors do they take into account per goal? Early in the season it was one player cocking up at a time but recently there has been more than one big mistake every goal

Defensively yesterday we were a shambles missed tackles terrible tracking of players and questionable decision making added to players looking as if they were passing the buck cost us to lose at least 2 very cheap goals.

Law of average as a team you can usually get by with one or two players off it but unfortunately we have had usually 7 or 8 struggling at same time hence the position we are now  in players need to step up big time over the next 6 games to get us out of it!

8 hours ago, skygod said:

What happened at half-time?

Perhaps Dickers crew werent happy with TW’s thoughts as to their 1st half performances. It won’t be the first time they’ve downed tools somewhat . 

Thank Dicker , Power and Broadfoot for their input throughout their time here and replace them for next week . 

Also watched Sportscene with interest. All comments regarding the first goal are spot on.

Doyle's attempt at a punch, Dickers clearance and excuse for a tackle followed by three statues claiming offsiide.

I think you can add Kilties's contribution to the goal. It was him that passed Dicker's initial clearance backwards to the County winger.

We might as well name and shame them all.

I was thinking about how the players under SC each knew their role within the team, and how he rarely made substitutions until the final quarter of the match.

Compare with the second-half shambles on Saturday with players changing their position within different formations several times.

No wonder confusion reigned.

Two week break now, from which we must emerge with a settled formation and a settled team.

Of course, there needs to be some flexibility to cater for different match scenarios but, given the short time left, we need to have a basic tactical plan and players who understand it and fit within it. 

5 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

i think we should arrange a closed door game for saturday.

then tommy can have a look at the other lads to see what they offer, play Dabo, Rossi, Oakley, Waters, Rogers, Peirrick, etc. so he can see them in action

TW had said after county game that a bounce game had been arranged for Saturday ....and others would get a chance 

30 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

i think we should arrange a closed door game for saturday.

then tommy can have a look at the other lads to see what they offer, play Dabo, Rossi, Oakley, Waters, Rogers, Peirrick, etc. so he can see them in action

Good to hear. I thought Oakley had a wee bit about him in terms of movement and effort at least, 

Tempted to agree with the @Skygod analysis that bar the farcical chain of events leading up the County goal we were basically on top in the first half with Power integrally involved in most of our attacking moves.

Pinnock and Rory were also heavily involved in our attacking play first half though sadly neither of them showed enough quality, especially Pinnock who seems to make worse decisions the more time he gets to decide and has the touch of an elephant.

Feck knows what went on at half time, whether it was recriminations about the goal conceded or whether players disagreed with Wright deciding to ditch trying to play football and go long because of the state of the pitch? Who knows??

The game was lost in the ensuing 5 minutes and the rest is history.

33 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Feck knows what went on at half time, whether it was recriminations about the goal conceded or whether players disagreed with Wright deciding to ditch trying to play football and go long because of the state of the pitch? Who knows??

The game was lost in the ensuing 5 minutes and the rest is history.

That last part is the story of the season. We are one of the weirdest sides I've ever seen. Not much in the game before those two goals and we did largely fine after them too - it's just every single game has these moments where we find a way to lose and can't right ourselves. 

We seldom play with intensity any more. That’s probably the symptom of our ageing first team, but it’s only there in flashes - 20 mins against Utd 2nd half, 15 mins against County, previously when we had a spell against Motherwell at home.

We lack the energy to stay with teams for 90+mins and may explain the number of late goals and points surrendered rather than being won. 

Edited by casual observer