Well Match Fred

CB

7 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

We've had half a dozen 'Must win' games and finally won one. That's great because if we'd lost that one I think we'd have had it!

Nice boost with the break coming but literally we've only just begun. It's the post split games that will decide our fate and I worry about some if the older legs with games coming thick and fast. Still, we have a good chance now.

Next!

For a change due to the delayed Scottish cup rounds getting played in between, the post split fixtures are spread out this season apart from the final 2 games ...

Rd 34 – Weekend of 10/11 April, Rd 35 – Midweek of 20/21 April 

Rd 36 – Weekend of 1/2 May ,  Rd 37 – Midweek of 11/12 May , Rd 38 – Weekend of 15/16 May

(Granted If we do have a decent cup run then we will be playing 3 games per week) 

What will help is if we can build on that much needed victory v Motherwell with 3 points in our next game , showed in that second half what a boost in confidence can do 

22 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

For a change due to the delayed Scottish cup rounds getting played in between, the post split fixtures are spread out this season apart from the final 2 games ...

Rd 34 – Weekend of 10/11 April, Rd 35 – Midweek of 20/21 April 

Rd 36 – Weekend of 1/2 May ,  Rd 37 – Midweek of 11/12 May , Rd 38 – Weekend of 15/16 May

(Granted If we do have a decent cup run then we will be playing 3 games per week) 

What will help is if we can build on that much needed victory v Motherwell with 3 points in our next game , showed in that second half what a boost in confidence can do 

Thanks Scouser2 I hadn't realised the post split matches were more spread out this time and that's good news! What view do we take of the cup in this situation?

We're due a good run but would ot be a good thing with the league (surely) having to take priority?

21 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Thanks Scouser2 I hadn't realised the post split matches were more spread out this time and that's good news! What view do we take of the cup in this situation?

We're due a good run but would ot be a good thing with the league (surely) having to take priority?

I'd play the youth team in the cup.

After a break we now start a new mini league with 4 Cup finals hopefully if we pick up enough points game 5 won't matter. 

I don't think we should fear anyone in the bottom 6. All 3 games against Utd we were the better team. Without Rogers catastrophic error we should have beaten St Mirren at home. We were by quite a long way the better team against Well in both home games. 

Ross County again we have been better team in 2 games and also nothing to fear against Hamilton.

With a massive confidence boost from yesterday I really think we have a very good chance of staying up. 

17 hours ago, Steppskillie said:

After a break we now start a new mini league with 4 Cup finals hopefully if we pick up enough points game 5 won't matter. 

I don't think we should fear anyone in the bottom 6. All 3 games against Utd we were the better team. Without Rogers catastrophic error we should have beaten St Mirren at home. We were by quite a long way the better team against Well in both home games. 

Ross County again we have been better team in 2 games and also nothing to fear against Hamilton.

With a massive confidence boost from yesterday I really think we have a very good chance of staying up. 

24 of our 28 points have been against the bottom 6 sides coupled with TW's excellent record post split against either top or bottom 6 sides and the thought of having to keep Lafferty quiet.

They should be worried about facing us is the mentality we should be adopting.....

We have an ageing squad which will have to be managed properly as playing 3 games a week has been proven to be too much for them. I’d play a strong team against Peterhead as it is after a break but potentially play a weaker team In following rounds and rest older players for the league games. The focus has to be on the league given the situation we are in. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

We have an ageing squad....

You can say that again!

Starting XI on Saturday had an average age of over 30.

Wright will have a rebuilding job akin to that Totten had when he took over from Burns.

He did very well bringing in the likes of Whitworth, McKee, Henry, Maskrey and Lekovic to replace the Dads Army team.

There won’t be the same money available but enough scope to do a thorough rebuild.

Edited by skygod

10 minutes ago, skygod said:

You can say that again!

Starting XI on Saturday had an average age of 29 yrs 300 days.

Wright will have a rebuilding job akin to that Totten had when he took over from Burns.

He did very well bringing in the likes of Whitworth, McKee, Henry, Maskrey and Lekovic to replace the Dads Army team.

There won’t be the same money available but enough scope to do a thorough rebuild.

I think the biggest issue short term would be asking older players to play 3 games a week. 

If you look at the bad run of results a lot of them were playing 3 games a week.

Priority has to be staying in the SPL and protecting the older players in the squad from having to play 3 games in short succession.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:22 AM, DuncD said:

Why? Because he has finally put in a cross that has led to a goal? (Which defence should easily have cleared) and scored after a slip by a Motherwell defender?

I’m in two minds whether the defender slipped or Pinnock put him on his backside and I’m giving Pinnock the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by skygod

Doesnt matter whether defender slipped or he got lucky with his goal reality is that our present marmite player stepped up to be counted when it really mattered and hopefully this will have given him some muchneeded confidence going forward and btw our new manager seems to have faith in him as well.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:22 AM, DuncD said:

Why? Because he has finally put in a cross that has led to a goal? (Which defence should easily have cleared) and scored after a slip by a Motherwell defender? His composure was excellent for finish when 1 on 1 though.

If Pinnock keeps sticking them in the pokey or continues to deliver a peach of a cross like he did on Saturday for Burkes goal, from now till the end of the season, I couldn't give two hoots if a defender slips or he gets lucky.

The only thing that matters, if TW deems him a starter, is he keeps up the kind of performance he showed he's capable of 2nd half Saturday. He's set himself a standard which is up to him to maintain.

Edited by C4mmy31

MOTHERWELL may be seven points clear of second-bottom Killie with just five games left — but defender Stephen O’Donnell warned they are STILL in a relegation dogfight.

The Scotland full-back will be on World Cup duty with the national team this week, but admits this defeat by Killie will haunt him for days.

The 4-1 drubbing ended a three-game unbeaten run for Graham Alexander’s men.

And O’Donnell insisted: “Until it’s mathematically impossible for you to go down, I don’t think there’s one team who can claim that they’re safe.

“We’re all capable of taking points off each other.

“That’s the excitement of the split for the neutral but, hopefully, we won’t be involved at the death.

“It’s the same in the top half, where you can be fighting for third place — and end up in sixth.

“We need to react positively to this — and I’m sure we will. We can still finish this campaign well, but that wasn’t the case here.

“It’s nice to go away with the national team but this defeat will still be hurting when I join up with the lads.

“It was a disappointing display at Rugby Park. We’ll all take flak for that.

“There will be plenty of time to mull it over and club football is always at the back of your mind.

“But by the time the match against Austria comes up I will have something else to think about.”

O’Donnell believes it could have been very different — if ref Alan Muir had given a penalty when Killie’s Brandon Haunstrup pushed him to the ground.

The Motherwell man added: “I’m not a diver, I don’t know how to do it. I’ve never been taught how to throw myself to the ground.

“There was a nudge on my back and that’s a foul anywhere else on the park. I was convinced it was a penalty.

“If we go in 2-1 up at the interval it’s a different story, but these things happen and games change on decisions like that.

“For us, that’s a big three points dropped. We’d started a bit slowly, but once we got a foothold in the game I thought it was a very even first half.

“I couldn’t have imagined it ending 4-1, so we need to take this as a wake-up call.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6856421/odonnell-diver-motherwell-kilmarnock-defeat/ 

17 minutes ago, AyrshireCocard said:

MOTHERWELL may be seven points clear of second-bottom Killie with just five games left — but defender Stephen O’Donnell warned they are STILL in a relegation dogfight.

The Scotland full-back will be on World Cup duty with the national team this week, but admits this defeat by Killie will haunt him for days.

The 4-1 drubbing ended a three-game unbeaten run for Graham Alexander’s men.

And O’Donnell insisted: “Until it’s mathematically impossible for you to go down, I don’t think there’s one team who can claim that they’re safe.

“We’re all capable of taking points off each other.

“That’s the excitement of the split for the neutral but, hopefully, we won’t be involved at the death.

“It’s the same in the top half, where you can be fighting for third place — and end up in sixth.

“We need to react positively to this — and I’m sure we will. We can still finish this campaign well, but that wasn’t the case here.

“It’s nice to go away with the national team but this defeat will still be hurting when I join up with the lads.

“It was a disappointing display at Rugby Park. We’ll all take flak for that.

“There will be plenty of time to mull it over and club football is always at the back of your mind.

“But by the time the match against Austria comes up I will have something else to think about.”

O’Donnell believes it could have been very different — if ref Alan Muir had given a penalty when Killie’s Brandon Haunstrup pushed him to the ground.

The Motherwell man added: “I’m not a diver, I don’t know how to do it. I’ve never been taught how to throw myself to the ground.

“There was a nudge on my back and that’s a foul anywhere else on the park. I was convinced it was a penalty.

“If we go in 2-1 up at the interval it’s a different story, but these things happen and games change on decisions like that.

“For us, that’s a big three points dropped. We’d started a bit slowly, but once we got a foothold in the game I thought it was a very even first half.

“I couldn’t have imagined it ending 4-1, so we need to take this as a wake-up call.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6856421/odonnell-diver-motherwell-kilmarnock-defeat/ 

f**k you o'donnell how's that stellar move going for you?