Lafferty!

shug

I think every Killue fan is desperately hoping that the hoard at the very least make a decent effort  to get the big nan signed on a contract for the very least next season. Its clear to see that him  and a few decent signings from Wright, and a Euro spot could well be on the cards for next season. Anything less and it would seem to be survival is the main ambition in the boardroom for next season

14 hours ago, RayD said:

I'm a clown.

I really thought this would be a bad signing for us... in my imagination he would be a "billy big time"

He's been phenomenal, and I apologise for doubting the man's commitment to the cause. 

Got to say I was the same , I thought it was a huge risk, but his performances have been unbelievable, he has shown leadership on the field, his press statements and interviews have been highly positive and the report on the support of the injured Stenny player do not fit with some of the stories that preceded him. Maybe it is a case of just getting the right person at the right time and him being with a manager he trusts.

13 minutes ago, The Cumbrian said:

I think every Killue fan is desperately hoping that the hoard at the very least make a decent effort  to get the big nan signed on a contract for the very least next season. Its clear to see that him  and a few decent signings from Wright, and a Euro spot could well be on the cards for next season. Anything less and it would seem to be survival is the main ambition in the boardroom for next season

Getting him to commit for a couple of seasons would probably help season ticket sales too.

You'd have thought we had all learned from the signing of Burke.   The vast majority of us thought he was done and it was just Lee signing his Rangers Pals.

But what an awesome professional he is, what an example to all the others.

I was one of those screaming that I didn't want Lafferty anywhere near us, but I am enjoying the taste of my own words with side order of humble pie.  Absolute professional with a will to win which sets topmolayers apart from the majority of our squad.

We have a history of those we decry as poor signings or gambles doing the deed for us in the latter stages of their careers or critical points in our seasons.

How many of us were happy that Steve Fulton signed, or Alan Johnstone, or Kevin Kyle?

We should all just shut up and let the players performances speak for themselves before we open our gobs, only to have to retract what we were saying before.

Even IF we go down, there can be no doubting Laffertys impact has been nothing short of awesome 

We have a long and successful history of signing quality players in their 30s, and there’s absolutely no doubt Lafferty is in that category. 

We’ve arguably had far better value from a lot of those guys, including a number of former Old Firm players, and the step up in quality can be remarkable - particularly when compared to some of the lower-league English players we’ve gambled on over the years.

If anything, there was very little doubt about his quality, link and hold-up play, and determination. The main surprise has been the number of goals, given that looked to be the thing which had gone from his game in recent years. 

Quality player, quality signing. No doubt.

Now, at the risk of losing every single one of my greenies, anyone who uses that particular hand sign after scoring a hat-trick is clearly a wrong ‘un. The only sane way to signal ‘three’ with your hands is the three fingers nearest your thumb. Anything else is questionable at best.

Is it possible to be considered as the signing of the season when you joined in February and have only played eight matches?

Such is Kyle Lafferty's impact at Kilmarnock, it's a question that may begin to be asked more and more.

The Northern Irishman has scored 10 times in his last six games, firing Tommy Wright's side towards Scottish Premiership safety and a place in the last eight of the Scottish Cup.

BBC Scotland examines whether Lafferty could be considered as the most shrewd bit of business this season.

The numbers speak for themselves in terms of Lafferty's impact on what was a struggling Kilmarnock side. His 11-minute hat-trick against Dundee United on Wednesday took his tally to 10 goals, six of which have come in the league.

That's the same as Celtic's Leigh Griffiths and Hibernian's Christian Doidge, and just one fewer than United's Lawrence Shankland has managed all season.

He has averaged just over a goal per league game, a far better strike rate than even the top marksmen in the league, albeit the sample size is small.

However, when it comes to the wider impact on the fortunes of his team there are not many players who can rival Lafferty, even in a short spell. And it's not just his goals.

In Wright's first match in charge against Motherwell pre-Lafferty, Kilmarnock swung in cross after cross into the box, with nobody there to put the ball in the net.

One month later, Lafferty scored one, assisted one, and was prominently involved in the build-up to another as Kilmarnock won 4-1 against the same opposition.

His presence and movement creates problems for defences, as evidenced in the previous meeting with United, where two centre-backs were drawn to him as a corner came in, leaving a two-on-one at the back-post and allowing Zech Medley to tap in and earn a draw.

According to Opta, the former Rangers striker has won more than half of his 47 aerial duels in his last three league games, and he won the ball for the second goal against United on Wednesday before finishing the move.

Wright spoke of the "edge" Lafferty has brought to training, and he is always first to sprint over to a team-mate after a goal, often bearing a broad smile. His strong personality adds to a dressing room, and he has a habit of scoring on the big occasion.

It has not been a season with lots of transfer business, but others have come in and made an impact.

David Turnbull has shone for Celtic by adding eight goals and five assists in the Premiership, but even his performances have failed to turn around a poor campaign.

Kevin Nisbet's 14 league goals have been instrumental in firing Hibernian into Europe, and Kemar Roofe has proved a productive addition for Rangers with his 10 goals coming from just 21 top-flight appearances.

Every team will have their own contender, with Shaun Rooney at St Johnstone and Hakeem Odoffin at Hamilton Academical receiving less attention, while remaining pivotal for their sides.

But would any of those clubs' seasons have panned out completely differently if none of the above players had arrived? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But Lafferty's addition looks set to fire Kilmarnock from the foot of the table to safety. You arguably can't have a much bigger impact.

Will he stay at Kilmarnock?

The key question is whether Kilmarnock can keep hold of Lafferty for next season. If they go down, it seems unlikely, and Wright acknowledged on Wednesday that wealthier clubs will take a keen interest if he keeps scoring at his current rate, with the Ayrshire club benefiting from his collapsed move to Romania to sign him.

What could play a key role, though, is Lafferty's own happiness. His career has been beset by controversy, and he has had 13 clubs to date.

At 33 and with his family based in Scotland, now could be a good opportunity to settle down and work with a manager in Wright, who he knows well and who can be trusted to get the best out of him.

Wright says his compatriot is a "nightmare" to manage. But on current evidence, and if Lafferty is happy, it is surely worth it.

"I'm happy here, I know the manager and it's a great bunch of lads," Lafferty told BBC Scotland. "It ticks all the boxes as I'm close to my family here as well.

"The manager just trusts me to lead the line and get the goals and when a manager puts faith in you it's one of the best feelings you'll have as a footballer.

"First and foremost we stay in the league. Once that's sorted we'll probably sit down and talk but I'm more than happy and open to signing a contract. I'm open to offers."

(BBC Scotland Sport).

Lafferty has had such a major influence and with his goals you could easily make a case that he has given us a great chance of surviving this season, something that I think we would have doubted a few weeks ago.

On the downside he could on another day/referee have been sent-off three times.

Given this risk of a rash tackle/challenge/keeping him fit should we rest him against St.Mirren.

In either case does a sending-off in a cup game carry over to the league games?

On 4/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, The Cumbrian said:

Glorious attempt to beat the all-time fantasy spelling count. Well done.

8 hours ago, Sam said:

I'm not having a go at his scoring stats but 3 goals against Srenhousemuir, 3 against a Dundee Utd youth team and 1 against Montrose is what you would expect from a good striker. 

There’s plenty to moan about just now and you go for Lafferty’s scoring record. I hope you’re trolling. 

8 hours ago, Sam said:

I'm not having a go at his scoring stats but 3 goals against Srenhousemuir, 3 against a Dundee Utd youth team and 1 against Montrose is what you would expect from a good striker. 

And by that you would have expected any of our other so called strikers to knock in 7 goals in those games. Wow. 

9 hours ago, Sam said:

Having no Killie game today..... I'm assuming you've gone fishing !!

9 hours ago, Sam said:

This season we've had Brophy, Whitehall, Kabamba and Oakley to an extent play up front. Weve played Dumbarton at home and Clyde away with full strength teams. Both those sides are worse than Montrose and Dundee United "youth team" as you call it. Brophy scored 1 and Whitehall scored 2 in those 2 games. 

Different level compared to what we're use to Lafferty

17 hours ago, Killie lad said:

I think it just goes to show that kabamba isn't just s**te because 'there's no service' 

He had a good chance on Wednesday and couldn’t take it.

He would be one to keep if he could guarantee his early season form, but he can’t. 

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

He had a good chance on Wednesday and couldn’t take it.

He would be one to keep if he could guarantee his early season form, but he can’t. 

He has shown some form though unlike the other two. The game v Celtic was one of the best individual performances from a Killie player this season