Lafferty!

shug

Kyle Lafferty is keen to stay at Kilmarnock beyond the summer as he hits the goal trail at Rugby Park.

He’s on the 13th club of his time in football but the Northern Irish striker is hitting one of the hottest streaks of his career. Lafferty has scored 10 goals in eight games since joining Kilmarnock and his hat-trick midweek fired the club out of the Scottish Premiership relegation zone with a 3-0 win over Dundee United.

On staying at Kilmarnock after his short-term deal, Lafferty said: “Obviously, I don’t want to be known as someone who just moves around saving clubs. It’s a nice feeling but I’d rather be with a team from the start of the season and enjoy the bigger picture, helping them into the top six or whatever.

“I knew the manager before I came here, having worked with him in the Northern Ireland set-up. I’ve always had a good relationship with Tommy – I can have a bit of banter with him and he enjoys a bit with me as well.

“He makes me feel wanted and he’s put a lot of trust in me, which is a big thing. I had a similar relationship with Michael O’Neill when he managed the national team and he got the best out of me as well. The more trust a manager puts in me, the more I’ll repay him.

“I would 100% be prepared to stay here if we can stay up. I’m happy here, I’m near my family and I’m staying in my house so it ticks all the boxes.  Once we’re certain to avoid relegation I’ll be more than happy to sit down with the owners and the manager to work something out.”

Wright has praised the striker – but admits he won’t get him a dog in order to get Lafferty to stay: “You know what he can do, he’s a top player and he gives that extra quality at the top end of the pitch. He’s enjoying his football and he plays well with a smile on his face.

“I’ve been really impressed and he’s probably in the best run of goals for a long time. The end of the season? Apart from the fact he told everyone that if we stay up I’m buying him a bulldog. I’ll be doing everything I can to keep him if we stay up. I’m sure once we get enough points we’ll be sitting down with him.

“Am I buying him a dog? No chance. But I sense this could be a home for him. The relationship I’ve had with him makes me hopeful but I’m realistic if he keeps scoring other clubs with bigger budgets might come in for him.”

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/interview/kyle-lafferty-100-ready-to-stay-at-kilmarnock-as-tommy-wright-hails-striker/

1 minute ago, Monty1998 said:

Would we disappointed if TW decided to leave him out and keeping fresh for next week? Survival before cup semi-final. 

I think before yesterday there may have been an argument for this, but in all honesty now since the cup is now blown wide open, I think we should be giving it everything we have.

We should go for both. Can you imagine the lift it would give the players in the league. Effectively finishes St Mirren's season. 

We would also have players bursting g a gut to get a semi final place and who knows a Cup Final spot as well. 

1997 we stayed up just and won the Cup no reason we can't do the same in 2021.