10 min chat

Killie61

8 minutes ago, skygod said:

You know that, after Waddell left Killie in 1965 he joined the Scottish Daily Express as a writer until November 1969 when he left to manage Rangers?

In 1969 I had a summer job working in the Express office as a Copy Boy, a gofer basically.

I can’t believe I worked beside Waddell for a couple of months and never asked him to sign anything! Go Fame, for example, would have been published that year.

He would, like the others on the floor, shout “Boy!” and ask me to get him cup of tea and a bacon roll from the canteen or take his expenses claim to Accounts. Discussing football with him would have been fanciful!

I went back the next year too. Footballers, OF usually, regularly came in and I got tickets for the Scotland -England match from Don Revie. He had a huge bundle in his pocket and, despite me being a poor lad, insisted on payment in full! Typical Revie -greed was his downfall.  

Another of the Copy Boys was Keith McCrae, Motherwell goalkeeper cum striker, who went on to play for Manchester City before moving to the US. 

I know about his newspaper work - I guess I am more talking about him answering questions put to him by mere mortals like you or I. You were lucky to have the chance to wisely decide not to bother him!

It's on my to do list to read some of his work. The centenary of his birth this year just came too soon with the piles of other bumph I have to get through.

Great insights re WW, skygod. Would love to hear a few more of them in an episode of the podcast.

I wasn’t suggesting you would find anything insightful in his newspaper work.

It was mostly match reports and commentary on the football stories of the day.

He did spend a lot of the time when he was in the office glowering over his glasses! Not somebody who invited intrusion into his personal space! 

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

I wasn’t suggesting you would find anything insightful in his newspaper work.

It was mostly match reports and commentary on the football stories of the day.

He did spend a lot of the time when he was in the office glowering over his glasses! Not somebody who invited intrusion into his personal space! 

Sounds genuinely terrifying!

Bizarrely, Kenny Shiels and family were staying at the same hotel as us just after he left Killie. Had a few chats with him round the pool but tried to leave him be. He was still hurting. He never sat down and relaxed though. Had all the kids from the hotel training. Best laugh was going to the airport in the transfer bus and we stopped outside a hotel with a big Hearts flag hanging from a balcony and he says to me in a thick NI accent. “C’mon let’s go and wind them up”. We had beaten them all season home and away. 

23 hours ago, Killie61 said:

Ok folks if there was anyone in Kilmarnock history past or present that you could sit and have a 10 min chat with over a cup of tea or coffee who would it be? 
mines is simple got to be Tommy Burns would have just loved to hear his philosophy on football 

Jim Clunie

On 4/1/2021 at 1:52 PM, KenVaagen1984 said:

I'd go Alessio, but with no interpreter.

I've still got the original audio file from an interview I did with him just after signing. I'm feart to listen to it again, took me days to transcribe.