The road to Istanbul

7 hours ago, Zorro said:

If it’s the clip of him laughing with Kurt Zouma it’s a complete overreaction on Killie Kickback scale from Madrid. 

Think it’s the galasticos syndrome from Madrid and it’s fans , there superstars got a lesson over the 2 matches in tactics and speed . With an ageing squad , poor recruitment and purse tightening what did they expect ? 

4 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

Think it’s the galasticos syndrome from Madrid and it’s fans , there superstars got a lesson over the 2 matches in tactics and speed . With an ageing squad , poor recruitment and purse tightening what did they expect ? 

Bit extreme that. They were beaten over two legs by a better team. They hardly got taught a lesson. Despite being very poor over 180+ minutes that ageing squad were still in the tie until the last few minutes of the second leg. It was a comfortable 3-0 aggregate win for Chelsea but no one was schooled. 

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

Bit extreme that. They were beaten over two legs by a better team. They hardly got taught a lesson. Despite being very poor over 180+ minutes that ageing squad were still in the tie until the last few minutes of the second leg. It was a comfortable 3-0 aggregate win for Chelsea but no one was schooled. 

Real are expected to win by their fans , I’ve a Spanish mate who now lives in Lanzarote who was a season ticket holder for over 30 years , and his attitude is that they almost demand a win every game they play . When I argued , in my best pidgin Spanish that wasn’t that arrogant ? He said no “previsto “ ...expected . Last year v Man City he thought it would be an easy tie . 
My exuberance was related to my conversations with Nico , which I’m looking forward to continuing,  hopefully come August . 

9 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

Real are expected to win by their fans , I’ve a Spanish mate who now lives in Lanzarote who was a season ticket holder for over 30 years , and his attitude is that they almost demand a win every game they play . When I argued , in my best pidgin Spanish that wasn’t that arrogant ? He said no “previsto “ ...expected . Last year v Man City he thought it would be an easy tie . 
My exuberance was related to my conversations with Nico , which I’m looking forward to continuing,  hopefully come August . 

I’ve seen the stuff about expectations of winning every game and for long periods of my lifetime fans of teams like Real and Barca could justify that stance. The quality they had available to them and the football they played at times could blow everyone away. 

IMO only a fool would expect that squad at this time with everything it’s been through to win every game. I watch a lot of Spanish football. I’ve seen them blow teams away but also seen them stutter at a surprising level. They haven’t been able to rejuvenate that squad properly in a few years. Covid has caused them problems. Injuries have plagued their season. They’ve never been able to replace Ronaldo. Hazard has flopped and Vinicius and Rodrygo may be stars of the future but aren’t world beaters now. Like Barca they’ll need to get themselves back on track or risk being left behind by the likes of Bayern, PSG, City, Liverpool, Chelsea who are far better at planning for the present and the future. 

29 minutes ago, piffer said:

I’ve seen the stuff about expectations of winning every game and for long periods of my lifetime fans of teams like Real and Barca could justify that stance. The quality they had available to them and the football they played at times could blow everyone away. 

IMO only a fool would expect that squad at this time with everything it’s been through to win every game. I watch a lot of Spanish football. I’ve seen them blow teams away but also seen them stutter at a surprising level. They haven’t been able to rejuvenate that squad properly in a few years. Covid has caused them problems. Injuries have plagued their season. They’ve never been able to replace Ronaldo. Hazard has flopped and Vinicius and Rodrygo may be stars of the future but aren’t world beaters now. Like Barca they’ll need to get themselves back on track or risk being left behind by the likes of Bayern, PSG, City, Liverpool, Chelsea who are far better at planning for the present and the future. 

I think the Spanish teams in particular desperately wanted the ESL to work. We decry the old firms sense of entitlement but Barca and Real take this to a new level , perhaps with more justification tbf . The big 2 plus Athletico have an eye watering amount of debt which they realise is only going to get bigger, and even discovering the next Messi or Ronaldo is hardly going to make a dent in it . As you say the clubs and more so their owners or presidents are no longer the richest folk attached to a football club and they might struggle to compete with the new boys . 

1 hour ago, Bonbon19 said:

You really are over hyping your team.

The standard of football around the world has dropped dramatically. It says it all that the CL is an all English final and the premier league has been abysmal to watch. It’s not even me being bitter, I’ve tried my hardest to watch other teams and it very hard to watch. Even up here, Scottish football has probably been at its all time worst in my lifetime, in terms of quality on the park.

Once the fans are back we’ll see exactly where teams are at in terms of quality.

1 minute ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

Bollocks

Over the course of the 90 minutes there’s what, 10/15 minutes of excitement? VAR has ruined how many games? How many individual errors have lead to goals, instead of the winning team just being better?  

It’s been s**te.

Anyone I talk to agree, couple of them are United fans who are having a great season by their standards. Boring football.

3 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

You really are over hyping your team.

The standard of football around the world has dropped dramatically. It says it all that the CL is an all English final and the premier league has been abysmal to watch. It’s not even me being bitter, I’ve tried my hardest to watch other teams and it very hard to watch. Even up here, Scottish football has probably been at its all time worst in my lifetime, in terms of quality on the park.

Once the fans are back we’ll see exactly where teams are at in terms of quality.

That’s what fans do , no one who watched both legs will deny that Chelsea were the superior team . 
Considering where Tuchel has taken this team from , I’d say it’s quite remarkable despite what you say about the quality of the football in the EPL . I don’t watch much Spanish Italian German or French football so can’t compare fairly , but the EPL is only going to get richer and the Europeans , relatively poorer . This allows them to attract the top talent , whether that talent is harnessed properly is another matter , Chelsea have been profligate in that department many times . 
As you state once fans are back and shouting and moaning we’ll see who’s coping better and can handle the added pressure . 

3 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

That’s what fans do , no one who watched both legs will deny that Chelsea were the superior team . 
Considering where Tuchel has taken this team from , I’d say it’s quite remarkable despite what you say about the quality of the football in the EPL . I don’t watch much Spanish Italian German or French football so can’t compare fairly , but the EPL is only going to get richer and the Europeans , relatively poorer . This allows them to attract the top talent , whether that talent is harnessed properly is another matter , Chelsea have been profligate in that department many times . 
As you state once fans are back and shouting and moaning we’ll see who’s coping better and can handle the added pressure . 

Agree with that.

9 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Over the course of the 90 minutes there’s what, 10/15 minutes of excitement? VAR has ruined how many games? How many individual errors have lead to goals, instead of the winning team just being better?  

It’s been s**te

Depends what game/teams you're watching, dunnit? Folk have been slating the quality of the PL for example, for years now. How many years have you been reading sarcastic "best league in the world" quotes after literally every s**te game which takes place.

This season has been no different, some teams/games are s**te whilst others are not.

Just now, Dieter's Heeder said:

Depends what game/teams you're watching, dunnit? Folk have been slating the quality of the PL for example, for years now. How many years have you been reading sarcastic "best league in the world" quotes after literally every s**te game which takes place.

This season has been no different, some teams/games are s**te whilst others are not.

For me there are too many games where not getting beat is regarded as just as almost more important than winning. There’s also a growing number of teams IMO who should have title aspirations but are more interested in top four than a trophy at the end of the season.

I understand why people have a keen interest in it but personally find more entertainment in the Spanish and Italian leagues in particular. Perhaps a smaller number of contenders but winning still seen as the priority for them. 

10 minutes ago, piffer said:

For me there are too many games where not getting beat is regarded as just as almost more important than winning. There’s also a growing number of teams IMO who should have title aspirations but are more interested in top four than a trophy at the end of the season.

I understand why people have a keen interest in it but personally find more entertainment in the Spanish and Italian leagues in particular. Perhaps a smaller number of contenders but winning still seen as the priority for them. 

Man United were closing in on city and chose to sit back against a very weak Liverpool defence. Two midfielders at CB. If I was a United fan I’d be furious at that. They should have went for it. And for the sake of everyone watching it would have opened them up for Liverpool to score too, goals at both ends, entertainment.

Talks ongoing to move venue to UK.Looks like common sense will prevail and allow some fans of both sides to be there 

UEFA chiefs are ready to shift the Champions League final to WEMBLEY.

But only if the UK Government can give them a set of guarantees.

SunSport revealed the personal plea from Boris Johnson to Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin after Turkey was placed on the Government’s red list.

That would mean travellers would be required to quarantine for ten days on their return to the UK.

Uefa are understood to be sympathetic and agree that, in the circumstances of a Covid wave in Turkey, not asking Chelsea and Manchester City fans to travel makes sense.

But Uefa has ruled out grounds including Tottenham, Newcastle, Arsenal and Aston Villa.

The governing body is also not considering Hampden Park or the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

Euro bosses signalled that Wembley - with a capacity of 22,500 until the middle of June - is the only suitable venue.

While there is growing momentum, a series of issues must be overcome.

The first would be for the EFL and FA to agree to shift or reschedule the Championship play-off final, also due to be played on May 29.

That could either be moved or brought forward by 48 hours, allowing both Chelsea and City to train at Wembley on the day before the Champions League final.

But Uefa is also seeking absolute guarantees from the Government that all media, broadcasters, sponsors and VIPs will be allowed to attend without quarantine issues.

In addition, Uefa will ask the clubs who were involved in this season’s competition to give up part of their prize money to meet the estimated £20million-plus costs already incurred by the Turkish authorities ahead of the planned game at the Ataturk in Istanbul.

A final decision is expected to come early this week.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14895877/champions-league-final-wembley-chelsea-city/