30 years ago.

CB

54 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

Guy updating the scoreboardand talking over the tanoy was funny. Anyone know what minutes the goals were scored, I think we had 5 after 20 mins....But it was a long time ago...LOL

I've heard talk that it was facts about the goals. 'Last time we lost 6' etc. 

Is it true he said 'we've never lost 9' and he got booed?

One of the few games I missed that season. 

Not sure how we managed it, but did get a VHS copy of the full 90 minutes to watch a week or so later.

Remember a pal giving the house a phone early into the game, then "watching the game" on Ceefax !!

Was at Meadowbank plenty of other times, including the famous cat show game and the day when a drunken Killie fan louped the fence at halftime and proceeded to do the long jump.

Worked late that night, only about an hour, and wasn't going to go. Walking along Queens Drive my mate stopped his car and told me to jump in. Glad I did. I'd seen us get gubbed 8-1 by Rangers at Rugby Park. It was nice to see us win 8-1.

Edited by Lions13

2 hours ago, AllyAsylum said:

Brilliant night, was there with my dad. Steepest stand in the world, felt every time I jumped up when we scored I was going to fall! Even got the "I was there" t-shirt the club made after. Also special mention to the home fans chanting "give us a goal" and then "we want 2!" ?

I still have that t shirt somewhere 

To say it was unexpected is to do it a real disservice. There was nothing really at stake for either side, in either direction, as regards the league table. There was no indication whatsoever that we had it in us. We weren’t prolific scorers (no, really!) and had won only two of our previous five games, including a loss to Airdrie and a draw with Forfar. Meadowbank weren’t particularly bad either. What unfolded though was just incredible-Trevor Smith scored a goal. If I hadn’t been there myself I’d have assumed teletext had made a mistake.

7-1 up a few minutes into the second half, Killie fans even began to relax, only slightly mind, and all of the season’s preceding mediocrity dissipated into the still night Edinburgh air. Hitherto furrowed brows and grim faces,  weary from the seemingly never ending dashed hopes and crushed spirits, suddenly sprouted laughter lines. The petty, inter-fan, terracing squabbles that were so often a feature of watching Killie in the 80s and into the 90s ( you think an online forum is bad??) morphed into genuine warmth amid a collective giddiness and a growing sense that the relatively small number who were there, were indeed witnessing something truly spectacular in our time supporting the club. (Remember, this is long, long  after the league win in 65, and although only a few years away from a future Scottish Cup win, that wasn’t even a remote possibility on our horizon). It really was an unforgettable night.

Incidentally, I got married a couple of months later ( after the season finished, of course). Following the meal, I nervously got to my feet. After the traditional thanks and toasts were duly dispensed with , I said to the assembled guests “I suspect many of you probably think that Killie’s recent 8-1 win over Meadowbank is the happiest day of my life. Well, let me assure you, today runs it a very close second!”                                   

If you look closely enough, even 30 years later, you can still see the puncture marks where a sterling silver fork was thrust at high speed and no little force into my left thigh. 

21 hours ago, skygod said:

“Nipper” Lawrence, so called after the name of his favourite punk band The Nipple Erectors. 

I don’t think that’s actually the case. I occasionally shared a post match pint or two with Peter Smith of the brilliantly named Airdrie fanzine, ‘Only the Lonely’. According to Peter, he got his  name from Nipper Lawrence, a character in the Tiger and Scorcher comic, who was a talented footballer, drawn with that scruffy, undernourished look that suggested a “challenging” background (Exactly the sort of character which would no doubt attract some sort of Twitter campaign about class stereotyping nowadays)