Montrose Match Fred

C4mmy31

Looking at the team which took us top of the league Dec 2018 and the one which started today, considering our old players then are two and a half years older now, I’m amazed TW has actually managed to keep our season alive. 

00CB694F-783D-4280-9720-79F1FBD8ABBF.jpeg

1CA380EE-83A1-4F03-BEE7-1769A8D660C5.jpeg

Second half was poor but a huge negative over reaction by many. These are no win games so performance should be discounted quickly. It’s about being in the hat with vital players not injured. It’s a day for Montrose. That said, if we had Dyer in charge we would not have lafferty and we could have lost such a game. 

The defence was poor. But we have two first teamers to come back in full back positions. Mackenzie also stops a lot of heat on the defence by breaking stuff up early. So not sure we should talk about this side not being fit for the run in or challenging in the cup.

Mulumbu did fine. If his attitude is right - and not just on match day - he would start for me. If it’s not, he wouldn’t. Only the coaching staff can measure this. We have options in the middle of the park but the others need to show it in training to get ahead of power and dicker. They have served us fantastically well and I understand the loyalty shown. 

Kiltie looks sharp enough, Pinnock has improved and lafferty is the best all round striker in a killie shirt for a very long time. I’m struggling to think of any right now that have been better in terms of all round, hold up, link up and goal threat in the air and on the deck.

The worry is a partner for Kirk (and I still worry about the keeper but he has done ok recently). Medley was very, very poor today. But only 3 weeks ago, he was on the fast track to be a premiership centre half. We cant swing from high to low the way many seem to do. Rossi gets better without playing. But he was not exactly solid in his last appearances. But if someone does not get a chance after Medley today then the Arsenal lad will likely play till end of the season.

All in all, some reasons to be cheerful.

Trouble is rossi and medley should b back ups not competing for first choice

Just got to hope lafferty burke can create and score more than our dodgy centre halves give away.

Oh well cup final on Wednesday c'mon killie big performance.

Also interesting 2 c if the 3 teams not involved in relegation might rest some players on Wednesday for cup games on Saturday.

16 minutes ago, skygod said:

I’m glad it’s not just me who doesn’t think he’s the finished article. 

Like most Killie players he improves massively when he doesn’t play. 
You should go back and read the comments about Medley on his debut v St Mirren. You would have thought we had signed the next Beckenbaur. A few people might have been a bit hasty. 

A lot of talk about the midfield is it time to go back to a three man midfield. It would mean sacrificing one of Burke, Pinnock, McKenzie/Kiltie but in the bottom six it would allow us to dominate fixtures more and in Lafferty we have a striker with better holdup play and more likely to take chances than we’ve had all season.

Folk saying we don’t need to play two defensive minded midfielders or it hasn’t worked doing so. Today showed how vulnerable we are when we open though. Going back to a combination from Dicker, Power, Tshibola, Mulumbu would get us a better presence in there and offer protection to the back four as well as a bit more quality from Mulumbu or Tish.

Edited by piffer

To me it looks as if AD'S biggest fault was the players he brought in. Apart from Lafferty TW doesn't  seem able to get much more out of this squad than AD did. Today's game posed more questions than answers. Why is Medley playing, why isn't Mulumbu playing, why can we start the first half well but start the second one poorly ? Is it all down to the age of the midfield, Burke, and Broadfoot  ?

6 minutes ago, Stokekillie said:

Trouble is rossi and medley should b back ups not competing for first choice

Just got to hope lafferty burke can create and score more than our dodgy centre halves give away.

Oh well cup final on Wednesday c'mon killie big performance.

Also interesting 2 c if the 3 teams not involved in relegation might rest some players on Wednesday for cup games on Saturday.

Exactly right about the centre halves. Looking back at the Dec 18 team and our back up was Scott Boyd - not brilliant but a good experienced player who rarely let us down. I guess this is the kind of player that Dikamona was supposed to be but isn’t. 
We have left ourselves too light at centre back and our best chance of winning games now rests on Lafferty scoring more than we concede. 

• CB unpinned this topic

We beat Montrose without getting out off second gear, on a sunny day and an early start. We conserved energy, got a confidence boosting win, gave some fringe players some match time and escaped without any injuries. We’re through to the next round and have a winnable tie to get into the semifinals. But the way people are going on you’d think Medley had cost us the Champions League final. A wee bit perspective is needed....no?

29 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Second half was poor but a huge negative over reaction by many. These are no win games so performance should be discounted quickly. It’s about being in the hat with vital players not injured. It’s a day for Montrose. That said, if we had Dyer in charge we would not have lafferty and we could have lost such a game. 

The defence was poor. But we have two first teamers to come back in full back positions. Mackenzie also stops a lot of heat on the defence by breaking stuff up early. So not sure we should talk about this side not being fit for the run in or challenging in the cup.

Mulumbu did fine. If his attitude is right - and not just on match day - he would start for me. If it’s not, he wouldn’t. Only the coaching staff can measure this. We have options in the middle of the park but the others need to show it in training to get ahead of power and dicker. They have served us fantastically well and I understand the loyalty shown. 

Kiltie looks sharp enough, Pinnock has improved and lafferty is the best all round striker in a killie shirt for a very long time. I’m struggling to think of any right now that have been better in terms of all round, hold up, link up and goal threat in the air and on the deck.

The worry is a partner for Kirk (and I still worry about the keeper but he has done ok recently). Medley was very, very poor today. But only 3 weeks ago, he was on the fast track to be a premiership centre half. We cant swing from high to low the way many seem to do. Rossi gets better without playing. But he was not exactly solid in his last appearances. But if someone does not get a chance after Medley today then the Arsenal lad will likely play till end of the season.

All in all, some reasons to be cheerful.

Agree with some of this but not all. Haunstrup was horrific last week, not surprised to see Waters in.

Medley looks like a footballer rather than a defender and it is the latter we so desperately need. I think it is too big a risk to play him in the league after last 2 or 3 performances - rarely wins a header despite his height and gets caught sleeping about half a dozen times a game even against Montrose. Aw naw

2 minutes ago, Zorro said:

But the way people are going on you’d think Medley had cost us the Champions League final. A wee bit perspective is needed....no?

Possibly but we have 4 league games to try and win and Medley has come on to a shocking run of performances just at the wrong time.

32 minutes ago, historyman said:

You should go back and read the comments about Medley on his debut v St Mirren. You would have thought we had signed the next Beckenbaur. A few people might have been a bit hasty. 

In fairness, you can only call what you see.

He`s become lackadaisical and error-prone since then.

Edited by skygod

8 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Possibly but we have 4 league games to try and win and Medley has come on to a shocking run of performances just at the wrong time.

He’s a young guy who’s come into a team on a shocking run of performances lasting more than a year. He gets no protection from the midfielders in front of him and I’d suggest his one horrific mistake today was nothing in the grand scheme of horror shows we’ve endured from our defenders all season. 

Edited by Zorro

36 minutes ago, piffer said:

Folk saying we don’t need to play two defensive minded midfielders or it hasn’t worked doing so. Today showed how vulnerable we are when we open though. Going back to a combination from Dicker, Power, Tshibola, Mulumbu would get us a better presence in there and offer protection to the back four as well as a bit more quality from Mulumbu or Tish.

Which would be fine if the Power-Dicker pairing actually gave us a solid defensive midfield base. It doesn’t. It used to, but that’s long gone  

On paper it looks like we’re putting out a ‘solid’ midfield but in practice you give up any semblance of creativity, mobility and the ability to not simply play in flat lines. 

If I’m honest, I think Mulumbu does more solid defensive work than Dicker now in any case, and when he’s actually on the ball he’s then able to do more with it. 

7 minutes ago, Travis said:

Which would be fine if the Power-Dicker pairing actually gave us a solid defensive midfield base. It doesn’t. It used to, but that’s long gone  

On paper it looks like we’re putting out a ‘solid’ midfield but in practice you give up any semblance of creativity, mobility and the ability to not simply play in flat lines. 

If I’m honest, I think Mulumbu does more solid defensive work than Dicker now in any case, and when he’s actually on the ball he’s then able to do more with it. 

Its hard to win games with both Power and Dicker in the 2021 starting eleven. Maybe TW ie reliant upon them to try and protect our dodgy defence? I can't remember a time when we had to renew our whole defence and our goalkeepers. If we manage to stay up, I wouldn't keep any of them. 

55 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

These are no win games so performance should be discounted quickly.

For me it was all about the performance. I’m not bothered about the cup until we’re safe in the league.

I was hoping that the mistakes of last week would be eradicated and that those who came in would make a claim for a place.

Mulumbu did, but he should be playing anyway. Millen, Waters, Tshibola, McKenzie and Oakley didn’t.

The first half was fine, the second was unacceptable so that’s what will be uppermost in the memory.

It’s all about scraping together enough points by hoping TW can throw together a team out of what he has. 

18 minutes ago, killiefife said:

I keep on reading re Medley "he's just a young guy". Come on in footballing terms today a "young guy" is 15/17 years old. Medley will be 21 in three months hardly a youngster. Maybe inexperienced would be a better term or just crap as in the last half dozen games.

Compared to the rest of our team he’s practically still in nappies. 

1 minute ago, mitch14 said:

A rare game I didn't manage to see today - whats the consensus on Mulumbu? Attitude and fitness there? 

For me he was better than Dicker has been obviously opposition is taken into account. Probably expected him to be a more dominant presence on the park. He was decent enough in possession. Wasn’t as convinced when we were defending. I didn’t think the partnership with Power worked. IMO there was no obvious understanding of who was going and who was sitting etc between the pair. He looked like a player who hasn’t had regular football in a long time. Nowhere near as sharp as he has been previously. The only way that comes is with games but I’m not sure Wright will give him that.