Arabs match Fred

CB

6 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Connor Sammon scored 3 in 8 mins against Torrington back in 2010 according to club historian John Livingston, a game in which 4 different players all grabbed a hattrick, another club record....

A 16-0 pre-season friendly against a Devonian team doesn’t count.

I’m surprised John Livingston would consider anything that happened there as a club record.

The club’s record win is 13-2 against Saltcoats in the Scottish  Qualifying Cup in 1896. 

10 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

If we had beaten Ross County we’d have been 5 in front and just looking for a draw from 3 games to be safe because of superior goal difference. I’d like to see Ross County and Hamilton go down. Hughes is enthusiastic but don’t see why others rate him as a coach. 

County supporting mates are absolutely dreading a grudge playoff between County and the Rovers. They would take great pleasure in relegating him after what he did to them. 

8 hours ago, Zorro said:

I’ve come to the realisation I’m a glass half empty kind of guy. Great results for us tonight but I’m struggling to get as excited as everyone else appears to be by the performance. I thought United were poor, and I know you can only beat what’s put in front of you, but I worry that a lot of the great performances tonight had more to do with the level of our opponents rather than our players all rediscovering their form at the same time.

Tbh I didn’t think there was much between the teams until their dodgy keeper misjudged the flight of the ball. It could even be argued they’d had the better passages of play up until then. Haundstrup was almost caught sleeping at a cross, which could have easily resulted in a goal or even worse a penalty and a red card. Pinnock struggled to get involved and was poor at his defensive duties.  Broadfoot’s mistake, which wasn’t much different from Medley’s at the weekend, hasn’t provoked the same reaction. Which is odd but not surprising. Our midfield struggled to gain control and were out-passed in the early stages too. 

Lafferty, a dodgy keeper and a weakened United side were the most significant factors tonight. Suggestions that Dicker and Power have rediscovered their form and that Rossi is the new Beckenbaur are premature imo  

I actually agree with your post in that one swallow doesn't make a summer and although the situation looks slightly better there is still a lot of work to do and if we hopefully manage to avoid the bottom two places then TW will have achieved what we all want and give us renewed optimism for next season. 

BTW if we are in the play offs could it be raith rovers with you know who in goals coming back to haunt us just a thought.

20 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Beat a makeshift Utd team with Connolly at the back. Still alarm bells for me with some of the players. A good win, which puts us in a good position, but it’s not over in the slightest.

United were in youthful ascendancy last night until their keeper flapped at a cross and Lafferty gambled. 

All ifs and buts, but if they had got the breakthrough before us, we might have struggled again. 

As it was Rossi added a bit of shape at the back, Power played with a smile on his face and Lafferty proved again that a quality front player can make all the difference. 

Onwards and upwards. 

2 hours ago, skygod said:

A 16-0 pre-season friendly against a Devonian team doesn’t count.

I’m surprised John Livingston would consider anything that happened there as a club record.

The club’s record win is 13-2 against Saltcoats in the Scottish  Qualifying Cup in 1896. 

I'd tend to agree with you on this...  but here's the link when I did a quick search on Google out of curiosity....

KILLIE’S 16-goal hammering of hapless Torrington will go down in the history books as the club’s biggest-ever win, writes Lizzie Struthers.

The club’s historian John Livingston this week confirmed it is a new Killie record.

John said: “Although the game was a friendly, it is still an official game as there was a paying crowd, referee and linesmen.”

It breaks the previous record dating back to November 1890 when Killie beat Lanemark 15-0 in the Ayrshire Cup second round.

John joked: “I think that game finished with only three or four players, as the rest walked off in protest as it was too cold to play the game in New Cumnock.”

In 2004, Killie beat Italian amateurs Bargo 18-0 in a bounce game at their pre-season training camp in Il Ciocco.

Killie thumped in 10 goals in the first half and added a further eight in the second.

The goal scorers were Gary Wales and Steven Naismith with five apiece, a brace each for Danny Invincibile and Gary MacDonald, solo efforts from Stevie Murray, Gary Hay, Rhian Dodds and a 30-yard screamer from Gary Locke.

John said: “The game didn’t count as it was played on an open park without proper officials.”

The Torrington game could provide more Killie records.

John said: “I think that is the first time that four players have scored a hat-trick in the same game.

“It may also be the fastest hat-trick as Conor Sammon netted three goals in eight minutes.”

The match was hastily arranged last Saturday after Ilfracombe, who were due to host the losers of the Joma cup game between Killie and Blackpool, opted out of the Saturday evening fixture in favour of a match against local opposition in the afternoon.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/kilmarnock-fc-16-0-its-record-2424268

40 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Beat a makeshift Utd team with Connolly at the back. Still alarm bells for me with some of the players. A good win, which puts us in a good position, but it’s not over in the slightest.

If United put out the same team against Ross county, you’d expect County to win. Which would put us in the position of having to better their result against St Mirren to maintain our lead over them. Do we have enough about us to take at least a point from St Mirren? I’m not sure. 

10 hours ago, Zorro said:

I’ve come to the realisation I’m a glass half empty kind of guy. Great results for us tonight but I’m struggling to get as excited as everyone else appears to be by the performance. I thought United were poor, and I know you can only beat what’s put in front of you, but I worry that a lot of the great performances tonight had more to do with the level of our opponents rather than our players all rediscovering their form at the same time.

Tbh I didn’t think there was much between the teams until their dodgy keeper misjudged the flight of the ball. It could even be argued they’d had the better passages of play up until then. Haundstrup was almost caught sleeping at a cross, which could have easily resulted in a goal or even worse a penalty and a red card. Pinnock struggled to get involved and was poor at his defensive duties.  Broadfoot’s mistake, which wasn’t much different from Medley’s at the weekend, hasn’t provoked the same reaction. Which is odd but not surprising. Our midfield struggled to gain control and were out-passed in the early stages too. 

Lafferty, a dodgy keeper and a weakened United side were the most significant factors tonight. Suggestions that Dicker and Power have rediscovered their form and that Rossi is the new Beckenbaur are premature imo  

The main positives to take to the end if the season is that we are scoring a lot of goals and we are playing weaker teams. We scored one in six before Lafferty arrived. We’ve scored 18 in the last six. 

All the teams we are playing in the league are beatable, and we have the most in form striker in Britain. Others have also contributed and supplied assists.

There are huge issues to address for next season no matter what and some obvious flaws in the team, but we don’t need to be great to do well in the next month. We just need to beat (or as least not lose to) what’s in front of us. 

I’m feeling that the glass is half full. By next Saturday we could be in a cup semi-final and another step away from the drop. 

40 minutes ago, skygod said:

The club needs to update its own website then!

Doesn't sit well, friendly matches being used for records. You could play the Outer Mongolian Nostril Trumpet players second XI, tan the 50-scud. But, as long as wee fat Boab & Doris from the corner shop paid to get in, and, there was a proper ref & linos it counts? Nah, not having that.

Never seen the 'Lanemark' game quoted either. It was always 13-2 vs Saltcoats Vics, or, 11-1 vs Paisley Academicals or some such. Depending on whether the writer considered the Scottish Qualifying Cup as a 'first class game' The 11-1 came from an early Scottish Cup tie, I think. 

What a night, we've put ourselves back in the driving seat (with a little help from others)

We're now the team with confidence and scoring goals, really surprised to see County take the lead and then lose so convincingly last night.

Cup will be a welcome distraction, would we dare rest Lafferty in that, with whats at stake the following weekend?

A season watching some of the worst football I can remember under Dyer, I think if we manage to stay up this will be a huge huge achievement

2 hours ago, Ngonge88 said:

The attitude change on this forum is brilliant this morning, myself included.

Never expected to say it again, but Dicker and Power i thought were excellent. Along with most... but its a bit step for them to perform like that after the last wee while

For me Dicker still looks done, the first 20 minutes felt like they were strolling past him. 

Saying that if we get another couple of results like that I won’t care. 

3 minutes ago, Chris1810 said:

For me Dicker still looks done, the first 20 minutes felt like they were strolling past him. 

Saying that if we get another couple of results like that I won’t care. 

Exactly, the discussion for players leaving is when we get enough points to stay up. I'd keep less than a handful of these players on, but we're stuck with them until the summer.

Onwards and upwards

I've watched County the last couple times and they are dung. We've made them look good whenever we've played them for whatever reason and that's when they've gained points. Since the shock result against celtic in February we are the only team who they've picked up points against. It's all if's and but's right now but that Utd side at home take some stopping and they'll have a real challenge to gain anything from them next week. I wouldn't count Hamilton out just so soon either, they are well known for sudden push near the end of the season.