Transfer Summer 2021

Craigieboy

31 minutes ago, Garvis said:

I might be wrong but I think Rangers were heavily involved in that deal.

Rumour had it we agreed same terms and costs with Birmingham as Aberdeen. Stewart’s agent made him aware of Sevco summer interest/contract offer and they advised him not to stay at us as we were more of a threat to second place than the dons.

May be conspiracy theory but did do the rounds at the time.

Supposing there was no conspiracy, we had him on a season-long loan with an option to terminate in January.

It's one of the hazards of loaning players you couldn't otherwise afford. You don't have any control over the parent club pulling the plug for any reason, no questions asked.

Edited by skygod

9 minutes ago, Monty1998 said:

Rumour had it we agreed same terms and costs with Birmingham as Aberdeen. Stewart’s agent made him aware of Sevco summer interest/contract offer and they advised him not to stay at us as we were more of a threat to second place than the dons.

£30,000 sweetner swung it.

26 minutes ago, Monty1998 said:

Absolute nonsense. Stewart signed for Aberdeen and went on record saying he wanted to stay for the season at Killie as it was best form of his entire career. He also says he was recalled and training with the kids again and was only told of Aberdeen’s bid for him and his options was six months with no games or six in Scotland. He signed for them and then was told afterwards that Killie had matched the loan offer Aberdeen made. Clarke, Killie and Stewart were all stitched up. I’ll link the newspaper article again once I find it with his direct quotes on this. 

8 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Absolute nonsense. Stewart signed for Aberdeen and went on record saying he wanted to stay for the season at Killie as it was best form of his entire career. He also says he was recalled and training with the kids again and was only told of Aberdeen’s bid for him and his options was six months with no games or six in Scotland. He signed for them and then was told afterwards that Killie had matched the loan offer Aberdeen made. Clarke, Killie and Stewart were all stitched up. I’ll link the newspaper article again once I find it with his direct quotes on this. 

This is my understanding of what happened too. Can't see the Christopher Nolan directed movie of Rangers pushing for him to go to Aberdeen to nullify the threat of us finishing 2nd ahead of them

32 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

This is my understanding of what happened too. Can't see the Christopher Nolan directed movie of Rangers pushing for him to go to Aberdeen to nullify the threat of us finishing 2nd ahead of them

I reckon we would have finished second if he had stayed that season.

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

No way he was in the dark of our bid.

I'm not usually a conspiracy theory kind of guy but we were in the heads of Rangers (not just the fans) at the time and I wouldn't put it past them to have had a word with his agent to ensure he went elsewhere.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Supposing there was no conspracy, we had him on a season-long loan with an option to terminate in January.

It's one of the hazards of loaning players you couldn't otherwise afford. You don't have any control over the parent club pulling the plug for any reason, no questions asked.

I can understand why there is a six month termination clause on loan deals as they could be wrong for so many reasons but it could be worth changing the rules to stop the parent club taking the player from the original loanee club to loan them out to another if the original loanee club still wants to keep the player.

5 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

I can understand why there is a six month termination clause on loan deals as they could be wrong for so many reasons but it could be worth changing the rules to stop the parent club taking the player from the original loanee club to loan them out to another if the original loanee club still wants to keep the player.

If the loan player isn’t playing there parent club can recall them

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

Sorry Steve Clarke is on record as saying he had spoken to him and Greg told him he was coming back to Killie the following morning he was at the sheep, so he knew Killie had matched the Aberdeen deal.

Definitely something was stinking about the deal.

2 hours ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

I'm not usually a conspiracy theory kind of guy but we were in the heads of Rangers (not just the fans) at the time and I wouldn't put it past them to have had a word with his agent to ensure he went elsewhere.

At the time of the January break and transfer window, this was the table:

Celtic P 23  Pts 51
Rangers P 23  Pts 45
Kilmarnock P 23  Pts 45
Aberdeen P 23  Pts 43

If you're Rangers, getting Stewart to move to Aberdeen is a no brainier.

All you have to do is to get Birmingham City, who just want to see the back of the player, to recall Stewart. Then persuade Aberdeen to sign Stewart and pay him wages they hadn't budgeted for.

Unless, of course, you think Rangers maybe paid his wages. 

All for the sake of getting him away from a club which had two points more.

Edited by skygod

11 minutes ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

No way he was in the dark of our bid.

I'm not into conspiracy thing either but I understood that both Kilmarnock and Stewart had agreed with Birmingham that he was coming back and he was just about on the road here when he was told that he wasn't.

Something changed Birmingham's mind (I can only presume cash, no matter how small) and somebody changed it.

Would Rangers be involved at that stage for someone they knew was a free agent in six months? I'm not sure.

Would Aberdeen pay some cash for someone who had not been good in a previous spell and we can only presume chose not to extend that loan spell? On the surface, no, but shady thoughts could have been going on it would have been in Aberdeen's head as them missing out on third place to us was a very real possibility (and they were correct), so they may have decided to pay a small sum of money to try to weaken us.

5 minutes ago, Jasg said:

If the loan player isn’t playing there parent club can recall them

They can recall him for any reason they choose, the obvious ones being to cover for injured player(s) or the player has hit form which makes them want to recall him.

They don't have to justify it - he's their player.

2 hours ago, skygod said:

They can recall him for any reason they choose, the obvious ones being to cover for injured player(s) or the player has hit form which makes them want to recall him.

They don't have to justify it - he's their player.

Not always the case.Celtic paid a loan fee for Duffy and had him for the season whatever the situation with his club.Bet they wish they could have returned him 

7 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

Not always the case.Celtic paid a loan fee for Duffy and had him for the season whatever the situation with his club.Bet they wish they could have returned him 

I meant, where there is a recall clause in the loan agreement, the parent club can recall for any reason.

It's probably just as well that he went. Imagine if he had stayed & we had finished 2nd or, (whisper it), even won the bloody thing & then went on the same downward spiral, ending where we find ourselves today. Judging by the reaction on here after going from 3rd, I fear that a few might not have survived if we had done it from a loftier position. It would have been nice to find out though. 

I do wonder whether at the end of their careers players like Stewart regret not carrying on at a place like Killie where they played their best football, or, faced with the harsher real world are glad they followed the money?

Could be a bit of both or vary from player to player. 

Let's see where he ends up.

6 hours ago, KillieBus said:

I'm not into conspiracy thing either but I understood that both Kilmarnock and Stewart had agreed with Birmingham that he was coming back and he was just about on the road here when he was told that he wasn't.

Something changed Birmingham's mind (I can only presume cash, no matter how small) and somebody changed it.

Would Rangers be involved at that stage for someone they knew was a free agent in six months? I'm not sure.

Would Aberdeen pay some cash for someone who had not been good in a previous spell and we can only presume chose not to extend that loan spell? On the surface, no, but shady thoughts could have been going on it would have been in Aberdeen's head as them missing out on third place to us was a very real possibility (and they were correct), so they may have decided to pay a small sum of money to try to weaken us.

And this nonsense behaviour from an Aberdeen, whose manager was on the radio two seasons previous, bleeting on (pun intended not) about how, if people wanted Aberdeen to challenge Celtic, the other teams in the league would need to help out! 
So Derek, if Killie want to challenge Celtic you just p#$$ all over it.......knob

10 hours ago, Harrogate Peter said:

I do wonder whether at the end of their careers players like Stewart regret not carrying on at a place like Killie where they played their best football, or, faced with the harsher real world are glad they followed the money?

Could be a bit of both or vary from player to player. 

Let's see where he ends up.

No matter what he did that season I think he was ending up at Sevco. Despite what looked like underhand tactics from some quarters he was a supporter and it was an opportunity for him we’d all crave for our own team. I think his biggest regret could be the jump to Aberdeen in the middle. Had he stayed at Killie he could have been a 20goal striker with a pile of assists as well. He’d very likely have been an outstanding candidate for player of the year had his form continued. He’d also be catching the eye of the national team. That could have changed perceptions of him when he arrived at ibrox.