Transfer Summer 2021

Craigieboy

I would love to see Stewart back but I think it would be at the expense of another 'conventional' number 9. Unless either the board decides to splash out on 2 players or (quite possibly) Robinson is seen/used as the '9'.  Even then, it's a shallow pool of 'strikers'.

I take the point re-Robinson being injured, but feel that one of the other midfielders would be used there; the ones that played against Ayr + McKenzie. 

The runs into the box are already night & day, compared to last season, without Robinson playing.  That's less of a concern than the spearhead. 

Cameron was excellent against Ayr, except for the sitter, but can't be expected to sustain that all season.  There'll always be a dip, which I think is worse for younger players.

As said elsewhere, a Heffernan or Sludden (RIP) type would be ideal.

1 hour ago, Guff92 said:

“Out and out goal scorer”.

Who was the last out and out goal scorer we had? Kris Boyd the season we nearly went down? That’s the last time we had a striker scoring 20+ goals a season.

Boyd scored 23 in all competitions in 2017/18 when we finished 5th. 22 in 2013/14 when we nearly went down. 

12 minutes ago, trenwick said:

if we get a goalscorer who scores 20 + goals a season we romp the league, what we need and have been lacking for a while is a midfield or other strikers who are also scoring so we don"t become reliant on a single goal threat

Tbf the goals have laready been ahared around the team and squad.  Polworth, Cameron, Murray, Naismith, Burke, Alston (i think), Connel.

More to come I woukd reckon from Robinson, Armstrong, E Murray and Stokes too.

I’m surprised TW hasn’t been to the “out and out goalscorer” shop yet and ordered a shiny new one going by all the advice he’s been given on here. Just a thought, maybe they are extremely rare, very expensive and normally under contract.

If we get a more experienced version of Cameron I wouldn’t be surprised. If we got Greg Stewart or someone of that calibre I’d be delighted.

Either way if we continue the way we’ve started the season with our new striker scoring fairly regularly and our keeper & defence perform as they have, we’ll win the league at a canter!

10 minutes ago, casual observer said:

I’m surprised TW hasn’t been to the “out and out goalscorer” shop yet and ordered a shiny new one going by all the advice he’s been given on here. 

Heard he did go to the shop and had a lookman but it was a little messi so said he wisnae going ney-mar.

5 hours ago, Crocket said:

Some things get debated to death on here. If I had a pound for every post about Stewart since he left, I could of bought him back ?

And paid his wages for a year. 

Honestly can't believe it's taken so much of this thread up. Be really surprised if he doesn't get a Premier league club 

Don’t think anyone is disputing that Stewart is a good player or that he would score goals for us. Just that he’d be more suited to playing in behind a striker. So that means Robinson, Polworth or Alston probably needs to drop out and Cameron or Burrell would still need to play as a striker. So he likely doesn’t suit our squad composition. 

21 hours ago, PrestersKtid said:

No one said he was rubbish, it was his goal return that was questioned. Despite being at an Aberdeen side that was regularly 3rd he didn’t score many at all.

He’s mobile still and causes problems to defences but we need a finisher.

wouldn’t say no to him but feel we would still need someone else.

Did he no just sign a new deal at St J?

If not, then maybe TW feels he knows how to get the best out of him... a bit like Totten/Paul Wright scenario.
Paul Wright didny really set the heather on fire at Aberdeen either, just at St Johnstone and Killie.

1 hour ago, All the Wine said:

And paid his wages for a year. 

Honestly can't believe it's taken so much of this thread up. Be really surprised if he doesn't get a Premier league club 

He’s bound to. He’s certainly good enough and he can be less picky on clubs and salary given what he’s probably made at Ibrox over the last couple of years.

When people say what a good manager Gerard is they seem to forget the money he has squandered on players like Stewart, Jones, Barker and a good few from England. They gave him a fortune to stop ten in a row.  

11 hours ago, Guff92 said:

“Out and out goal scorer”.

Who was the last out and out goal scorer we had? Kris Boyd the season we nearly went down? That’s the last time we had a striker scoring 20+ goals a season.

Greg Stewart scores goals and creates goals. But isn’t an out and out goal scorer because he doesn’t stand in the box waiting on the ball coming to him? ? 

If Greg Stewart comes in and gets 12-15 goals as well as creating chances for Innes we win the league as long as the defence stays fit and solid.

@Beaker71 is right, if for some reason it happened the rest of the league would be very worried. 

I don’t even know how this is a debate ?

The rest of the names that are kicking about are average. 

This