Transfer Summer 2021

Craigieboy

It’s a longer wait than would have preferred but hopefully TW can find that elusive striker by the end of the window, with other clubs looking at bringing in players things may move on this week 

Cameron can do a job for us but IF we are to get promotion we need that extra quality and also real competition for places over the season, the striking position seems one area we don’t really have that as yet…..when Managers often say they like to have 4 strikers on the books .

Lose one league game with Cameron in the side and the forum will explode. There are arguements for giving him a run and others for signing a higher profile number 9. I’m with the latter but respectful of the former perspective. Certainly no value in adding a journeyman pro just for the same if it. But we should go big by our standards to get a ready made goal scorer. cameron will get some stats and plenty of game time. But it would be refreshing to see those that want him in the team now stick with the same opinion even if we hit a rocky spell. I doubt that would happen though. 

4 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

This is more like my point above, we will need goals from all over,  to take the pressure off whoever we have at 9.

If we can get 20+ goals from the midfield and defence itll go a long way to us being top come May 2022.

Now if we cab get 15 from the centre and another 25 between the wingers, thatll set us uo nicely.

25 goals between the wingers ?

6 hours ago, jasper said:

Andy Kerr was a full-back who became a high-scoring striker. Jimmy Millar a defensive midfielder who did the same. Hendrik Larsson was another midfielder who became the greatest striker in the Scottish game. Malcolm McDonald of Newcastle was a converted full-back. Is there nobody on our present strength who could step forward and become a goal-scorer ?

Colin Doyle! He has to be good at something 

TW  is having the same problem as previous managers.He can’t find a proven goal scorer unless he pays over the odds for a short term solution like Lafferty.We have to hope one will come through the youth system like Boyd or Naismith that’s the reason I think he is giving Cameron a chance.Goal scorers at any level tend to to be in demand and don’t come cheap.

20 hours ago, FanWithaTypewritter said:

I really wouldn’t base Cameron’s talents as a goalscorer on his spells at lower league Stranraer and an about to be relegated Alloa where I’d imagine he was the focal point of the attack and was provided with plenty of the ball. 

I really haven’t seen enough of him to give a fair assessment but he comes across as a lumbering old style number 9 that will score if he’s given enough crosses to his head and sitters to convert but I’m still to be convinced he’s a starter in a team that are going for the title.

Having said all that, Cosgrove at Aberdeen was in a similar situation then went in a crazy scoring spree. With strikers confidence = goals. 

I wouldn't either - it's difficult to compare all round since different players thrive at different levels, and sometimes it's down to not just the individual player's talent and style, but on the team they have around them.  Boyd, one of the best goalscorers in the top flight, struggled at this level with Rangers after all.

My argument isn't that Cameron is superb - like you I really don't know what he is or what his potential is yet, but there are a lot of odd posts on this thread calling for a 20+ goal season a striker who then list players who have never actually done that at any level, namely because 20+ season strikers are extraordinary.

The clock begins to tick down on the transfer window. We need a proper no 9, hope TW has something up his sleeve. I want Cameron to succeed as much as the next fan, but we need certainty on the goals front. It could be the difference between promotion at the first attempt or languishing in the Championship. I think that we've been patient so far, but thats down to the team getting results. In Tommy we trust, nothing else for it. 

Edited by funky monkey

30 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

We should have enough cover for centre half with stokes possibly out for a while.

mcgowan and Sanders should be enough till the captains back.

definitely need more bodies up top now 

Need to remember that McGowan is also our RB cover. If anything happened to Naismith we would have no cover at the back depending what we have at the academy. 

If stokes hamstring is serious and could be out a while we may need another option.

2 strikers needed in now ASAP, one ideally before Hamilton at a minimum. The length of time it’s taken us to get 1 striker in makes me worry what the quality will be and will be someone to make up the numbers. 

In regards to CB, regardless of the extent of Stokes injury, I’ll think we’ll just have to go with what we’ve got in terms of McGowan and Sanders as replacements. I can’t imagine we’d have any budget left if we need to bring in 2 strikers, unless we can pick up a cheap loan or someone willing to play for pennies 

If Stokes is out long term I think we’ll need another CB in. McGowan is the only obvious cover for too many positions at the moment. Going with three CBs is risky at the best of times and also restricts what formations we can play.

Felt we probably needed two strikers anyway. Burrell being injured makes that more obvious