Transfer Summer 2021

Craigieboy

7 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

Erwin was coming good just before he left, But he is not really a scorer , Link play perhaps, Likes to roam. But he has failed to do much since leaving us.

Never really been the settled starter for most teams. He'd be the main man if he re-signed with us. I fancy he'd get goals in this league.

Erwin was good with a goalscorer, Boyd, beside him. Then we would be relying on Cameron finishing off the chances that Erwin creates. I would imagine that we have approached players who are keeping their options open until nearer deadline day. Still a lot of movement of players to come in England in particular.

Given the formation we have used in nearly all games so far pretty sure TW main focus is on the type of goal scorer who is comfortable playing as that one striker.

TW has been speaking publicly about the need for another striker for well over a month now , so far  in the league we have continued to do well enough but sooner we bring in that better striker the better , it does look like a deal is on hold waiting till the other club finally agrees to release the player ….hopefully 

Edited by Scouser2

1 hour ago, Souleycouley93 said:

I’d rather take a punt on Greg Stewart than a good portion of the folk we are linked with. Sometimes certain clubs fit players, maybe he would be a disaster but I’d like to think he would get a good amount of goals and assists. 

I would love Stewart back. One of my favourites in the last 20 years. However, I don’t think he’ll be on the radar. Robinson and Polworth could probably play that deep lying number 10 role. I think we’re in need of a proper number 9 to stretch teams. Obviously wouldn’t turn Stewart down cause he’d be fantastic, just canny see it. 

Ahh the Greg Stewart is most folks choice of signing for a Number 9.  Not for me.  Let's all remember our love affair of Mulumbu coming back which ultimately resulted in a theft of wages from the club.  GS has hardly played since he left our club.  Let's just move on from him and realise we are looking for what appears to be a 2nd rate 'Lafferty' kinda player for that upfront position.  

3 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

I’d rather take a punt on Greg Stewart than a good portion of the folk we are linked with. Sometimes certain clubs fit players, maybe he would be a disaster but I’d like to think he would get a good amount of goals and assists. 

Have we actually been linked with anyone? I've not seen anything at all other than people pulling names out of a hat on this thread.

56 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Ahh the Greg Stewart is most folks choice of signing for a Number 9.  Not for me.  Let's all remember our love affair of Mulumbu coming back which ultimately resulted in a theft of wages from the club.  GS has hardly played since he left our club.  Let's just move on from him and realise we are looking for what appears to be a 2nd rate 'Lafferty' kinda player for that upfront position.  

Disagree purely based on training. Mulumbu has regularly been known to not be arsed in training. Steve Clarke said it, it was more than just a rumour at Celtic. And he didn't play or train for a year.

Gerrard has always said Stewart was professional and ready when needed. Totally different for me.

I have only mentioned him as a suggestion. I am surprised he hasn’t been signed up elsewhere to be honest. He acknowledged his form here as being some of the best of his career.

He may very well be looking for a big move to a top six club or going south to L1 if so fair enough. 

If there was a slight chance I would bite hand off for him though even if he is a second striker, he would get a good amount of goals& assists. That is what wins games and leagues. Irrelevant if he’s a natural number 9 or not.

Id rather give him Mulumbu or Lafferty wage than split across a loan and Erwin or someone like that.

My two cents worth is that TW and JF's plan going into the summer was to fill the squad with players TW knows and trusts, guys who know the league and experienced pro - none of whom will be on great money. Then spend a large chunk of the budget on a forward who would be "too good" for the Championship to score the goals that would take us back up. 

TW has spoken a few times about just missing out on a number of players so maybe we're finding it harder than we thought to encourage someone of that ilk to come on board. That's possibly when someone like Stewart could come into the frame. Not a no.9 and not the goalscorer we wanted but would definitely be head and shoulders above the league and would undoubtedly create chances. So has TW seen enough in Cameron that he wants to stick with him and hopes Stewart will do what Eremenko did for Sammon?

Going to be an interesting few weeks anyway.

1 hour ago, Dave1981 said:

Let's all remember our love affair of Mulumbu coming back which ultimately resulted in a theft of wages from the club. 

No theft involved. The wages were willingly and eagerly given by the club, egged on by some supporters who excitedly greeted any vague hint on social media that the great man had stirred himself into having a kickabout on a patch of green somewhere in France.

We had the last of the best of him. Not many players could take a year out at the age of 32 and retain the condition and desire to reach anything like their previous standard.

I think it’s more likely that Dyer, Fowler, Bowie and co were more active in renewing the relationship than Mulumbu was. If someone keeps contacting you imploring to come back, you can’t be accused of larceny when you give in eventually. 

Edited by skygod

Greg Stewart played as a lone striker at Ibrox in the 1-1 game and it was one of the best individual performances I’d seen. Unless you are bringing in a 9 to score 20 a season, you’d at least want one who could create chances for others, chip in with ten goals and hold the ball up to allow midfield runners. You can’t tell me Stewart couldn’t do all those things. 

If there was a sliver of a chance of getting him back I’d take it. He is capable of putting three defenders on their arse in the Scottish Premiership, how will Championship defenders cope whilst doubling up on him and on Burke… a lot of space to be had for others. 

4 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

If there was a sliver of a chance of getting him back I’d take it. He is capable of putting three defenders on their arse in the Scottish Premiership, how will Championship defenders cope whilst doubling up on him and on Burke… a lot of space to be had for others. 

Tackle him round the face with both feet, studs up probably

36 league games and 4 goals.  What a tremendous return that is for GS since he left Killie.  Let's be honest, if we were looking at anyone else with a return like that in 2 years of playing this Forum would be in uproar slating JF and TW.

Some saying he would put players on their arse but let's be honest, he hasnt done that in a long time but hey ho let's all remember his brief spell at Killie 2 years ago and think that's what he would bring back to the club.  

9 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

36 league games and 4 goals.  What a tremendous return that is for GS since he left Killie.  Let's be honest, if we were looking at anyone else with a return like that in 2 years of playing this Forum would be in uproar slating JF and TW.

Some saying he would put players on their arse but let's be honest, he hasnt done that in a long time but hey ho let's all remember his brief spell at Killie 2 years ago and think that's what he would bring back to the club.  

When he went to aberdeen, mcinnes played him out of position once again and he'll have been lucky to have started many games for rangers. Bet majority of those 36 games will have been as sub.

When utilised correctly, he can be top class, can score from anywhere and the fact he's a few years older shouldn't matter too much considering we're at a lower level. Just noticed he's only 31. 

The longer he goes without a club the better chance we have of picking someone like him up.

It's only natural for fans to look to former players as options when they become available. Plus there are so few other options in scotland it's hard not to look at likes of Stewart

1 hour ago, PrestersKtid said:

When utilised correctly, he can be top class.

It's only natural for fans to look to former players as options when they become available. 

When GS was here we had thee best manager the club has and will ever have,  SC made everyone look amazing due to being a top class coach and manager, everyone understood their roles and didn't deviate from it.  If he was that 'top class' when 'utilised correctly' then why has no one picked him up yet since he is a free transfer.  Is it greed? Is it boredom of the game? Is it family? Is it the agent?  No one knows what GS has planned but we've brought back former players in the past and I would be more cautious than excited as only a small, a very small number have come back and recaptured their previous glories.  

1 hour ago, PrestersKtid said:

The longer he goes without a club the better chance we have of picking someone like him up.

It's only natural for fans to look to former players as options when they become available. Plus there are so few other options in scotland it's hard not to look at likes of Stewart

The longer any player goes without a club the longer it takes them to get match fit.Can we wait 4-6 weeks on a player getting up to speed ? Does TW want someone to go straight into the team or is he prepared to wait till the player fit and ready.He is most likely wanting someone who can play straight away 

We also have to bear in mind GS is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, as we found out previously. Who knows what his agent is feeding him re interest from such and such a club, and his worth in salary/signing on fee. I am surprised though that 3 weeks into the season he’s still kicking his heels with no contract agreed anywhere. Too good a player not to be playing.