Transfer Summer 2021

Craigieboy

I’m not convinced we are better off with Calum Hendry or Gullah. Gullan’s strike rate in the Championship was worse than Cameron’s playing for a better team. Both of thes players would seem like replacements for Burrell rather than the proven goal scorer we think we need. Most fans think their team needs a proven goal scorer. Let’s see how many chances we create against Hamilton as a proven goal scorer can’t score if we don’t create chances. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

I’m not convinced we are better off with Calum Hendry or Gullah. Gullan’s strike rate in the Championship was worse than Cameron’s playing for a better team. Both of thes players would seem like replacements for Burrell rather than the proven goal scorer we think we need. Most fans think their team needs a proven goal scorer. Let’s see how many chances we create against Hamilton as a proven goal scorer can’t score if we don’t create chances. 

They were talking about the market on Sportscene and saying that its vastly different this year. The English clubs seems to be barely spending, which is slowing down our market up here (people not taking a chance on guys like Ali McCann) and meaning there are fewer players getting freed up in England. 

I think we might need a proven goalscorer that will get about 15 goals - but the trouble is thats not a championship player. Someone who we're pretty sure can do that would go to Dundee/County/Livi who are all after strikers. 

It looks really tough out there to get signings in. In this market, someone like Hendry seems to be the best option. An equivalent of Chris Stokes who I hadn't heard of but has played lots in England would seem next most realistic, but again I think we might struggle with 'proven' from that market. 

Let's hope the club can pull some rabbits out the hat. A flurry of transfer  movement in the next few weeks could complete change things everywhere.

Thing is, everyone looks to be doing the same so when the window closes, we’ll all be competing with each other. Wonder what would’ve happened if we had really pushed the boat out early, took the gamble and put up the cash for a decent striker and had them in for the start of the season. We’d be weeks ahead of the opposition in terms of time to gel with the team and could’ve been the real difference this season. I have a real fear that once again, we’ll play most of the season with all of us knowing we don’t have a goal scorer.

2 hours ago, mitch14 said:

I think we might need a proven goalscorer that will get about 15 goals - but the trouble is thats not a championship player. Someone who we're pretty sure can do that would go to Dundee/County/Livi who are all after strikers. 

See this is where James Fowler needs to be very good at his job. We should still be a better option than certainly County and Livi at least

10 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

See this is where James Fowler needs to be very good at his job. We should still be a better option than certainly County and Livi at least

My instinctive reaction as a proud killie fan was to agree with you. But the rational part of my brain took over and said “why”? I think there is a sell in there. But top flight football and more money shout the loudest for most players I would have though. Now, if we can match or beat package, that’s different. It largely comes down to paying more - particularly when you in lower leagues. 

30 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

We've got relegated at a s**t time. Fifth place can get you Europe. Doable for those teams if they sell you the vision. Plus top flight football, players seem to care about playing v the old firm etc. 

You're right that it's doable. It's just very tough. Big selling points are probably a near guaranteed starting place, working with a respected manager, good chance of promotion. 

4 minutes ago, Cass316 said:

I see Lee Hodson is on trial at Dundee.

Got released from Gillingham. 

Is he exclusively a right back? Or can he play centre half as well?

Would be a decent signing for 6 months as cover.

Only really seen him play RB or cover at LB. 

3 hours ago, Angelo's Ashes said:

Jamie Gullan's Wikipedia page has him down as being on loan at Killie. 

And got him as no. 9 jersey. However, it is only on Wikipedia at the moment and could be someone on the wind up.

Not exactly the 'proven goal scorer' I was hoping for, but if true, happy to give the lad a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

And got him as no. 9 jersey. However, it is only on Wikipedia at the moment and could be someone on the wind up.

Not exactly the 'proven goal scorer' I was hoping for, but if true, happy to give the lad a chance. 

Not really a prolific editor on Wiki. Only three things.

Screenshot_2021-08-21-10-45-44_1.jpg.d1644978378470c026e31855fd1de7a7.jpg

I think we need to temper expectations and come to terms with the fact that the chances of signing a striker with a consistent, recent record of scoring goals at Scottish Champ or above are slim to nil. Mainly because these guys are very thin on the ground. 

I'm sure the stats will show that; how many players have bagged 10 or more in the championship or premiership consistently over the past 3-5 seasons? 

The only way we'd be getting a guy who has 10+ goals per season for the last few seasons would be if it was a Dyer type, National League, player.

Gullan fits the mould of what we're in the market for. A half decent record at this level with a but of potential about him. 

3 hours ago, Cass316 said:

I see Lee Hodson is on trial at Dundee.

Got released from Gillingham. 

Is he exclusively a right back? Or can he play centre half as well?

Would be a decent signing for 6 months as cover.

Why would you want to bring in a make shift central defender when McGowan & Sanders are perfectly capable in their natural positions?

I can't help but wonder, what if, the whole Lafferty saga didn't happen and he signed a one year deal

2 hours ago, FTAD said:

I think we need to temper expectations and come to terms with the fact that the chances of signing a striker with a consistent, recent record of scoring goals at Scottish Champ or above are slim to nil. Mainly because these guys are very thin on the ground. 

I'm sure the stats will show that; how many players have bagged 10 or more in the championship or premiership consistently over the past 3-5 seasons? 

The only way we'd be getting a guy who has 10+ goals per season for the last few seasons would be if it was a Dyer type, National League, player.

Gullan fits the mould of what we're in the market for. A half decent record at this level with a but of potential about him. 

You make a valid point. 

I can't help but wonder, what if, the whole Lafferty saga didn't happen and he signed a one year deal. I'd imagine he would have scored 10 or more goals. But irrelevant now. 

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

Why would you want to bring in a make shift central defender when McGowan & Sanders are perfectly capable in their natural positions?

Not saying it’s justification to sign Hodson but saw Sanders when I came into the ground and he was limping.