Transfer Summer 2021

Craigieboy

It's definitely a mistake from Hemming (and some terrible defending) after an embarrassing attempt at a tackle from one of our midfielders - can't remember who tbh.

That being said, dropping goalies after every mistake won't do their confidence much good in the long run imo. Hemming has been excellent up until that point and I probably disagree that he looked shaky on Saturday aside from the goal. I'm surprised we started the season with him given the reasons you've mentioned CM but now that he's there I'd stick with him.

It's okay to be realistic and understand that we are a championship club. If we get promotion, the only objective this season, then that realism will have been rewarded. 

I remember the last time we got relegated, it wasn't straight forward getting back to where we wanted to be, in fact it was complicated and took a good few seasons. 

We don't want that to happen again. 

This against a backdrop of 28 years in the top league and an absolute clusterf**k of a season that should never have happened. 

As we've seen already, the quality of the championship is pretty poor. I think, more than anything, it'll be the poor quality of most of the teams, added by some consistency from us, that will give us the best chance of going back up. 

We are short in striking options. We fell short in the transfer window getting strikers in. That's just a fact. Will we be able to address in the out of contract market, who knows? 

Bottom line for me is, we have a solid workmanlike side that won't lose many goals, but equally won't score many. We need another striker and possibly a playmaker. We are still short. 

We get one proper crack at this with the parachute payment. Failure to win promotion this season could see us like Falkirk, Airdrie, Raith, Partick or Dunfermline. That's the realism of the situation that we find ourselves in. 

We are in the Championship, we are currently a championship club. We take nothing for granted, but following a 28 year stint, everything at our club is geared up for the Premiership. Lets set our sights high and not become complacent to our situation. 

Potentially some interesting loan options amongst this lot. 

Vasilis Barkas, Brandon Barker, Matty Kennedy, Scott Allan, Jamie Walker, Benjamin Siegrist.

Barkas:

It's safe to say the move to Celtic hasn't worked out for Vasilis Barkas.

There were high hopes for the Greek goalkeeper after he arrived from AEK Athens last summer, but things haven't worked out after the £5million move.

He was offered a second chance after a nightmare debut campaign by Ange Postecoglou, but was quickly replaced by new recruit Joe Hart after early-season errors.

He doesn't even appear to be the Australian's second choice with Scott Bain named on the bench since the arrival of the England cap.

Reports had suggested that Barkas could be offered a lifeline in Greece or Italy, but a bid failed to materialise.

Now the stopper is stuck in limbo at Parkhead, and club chiefs must be desperate to offload the costly flop

Barker

Winger Barker dropped to the fringes of Steven Gerrard ’s squad last season as the champions surged towards an unbeaten league campaign, and was sent south of the border on loan to Oxford.

However, when he returned former Hibs and Manchester City player he finds himself further down the pecking order with the addition of Scott Wright and Fashion Sakala.

The likes of Jordan Jones, who was in a similar position to Barker, have been moved on but the 24-year-old remains on the books at Ibrox.

Having netted three goals in 23 games during his spell in English League One he would have hoped to be offered a chance in Govan or elsewhere, but a transfer exit option didn't arrive.

Maybe a move before the loan window deadline awaits? Barker will hope so.

Kennedy

This summer, Aberdeen outcast Matty Kennedy looked to be on the brink of an exit from Pittodrie.

St Mirren were interested in Northern Ireland international as they looked to bolster their attacking options.

A move to Paisley never got over the line and he now remains on the sidelines in the Granite City.

Having not made an appearance for Aberdeen so far this season it seems unlikely he will be given a chance by Stephen Glass.

It's a tough situation for the winger as he looks to somehow break into the manager's plans.

Allan

Playmaker Allan was shipped out of Hibs on loan to Inverness CT for the second half of last season as he continued to step up his return from a heart condition that kept him out of action for five months.

Having returned to Easter Road, he has been used sparingly be Jack Ross so far this season, with four of his five run-outs coming off the bench.

The 29-year-old will have been still holding out hope for a second chance in the capital, but he was offered as a makeweight in the 11th hour move to bring Jamie McGrath in from St Mirren.

Allan now has another uphill battle to make his claim for a first-team spot once again.

Walker

Sporting director Joe Savage has confirmed Hearts are interested in former Rangers winger Barrie McKay - and that could be a major blow for Jamie Walker.

The winger is yet to be handed a start by Robbie Neilson since their return to the Premiership, with Tynecastle chiefs clearly looking at alternative options.

If McKay does put pen to paper, it would push the 29-year-old down to fourth choice on the list of wide men on Gorgie.

His pre-season and start to the campaign has been hampered by an ankle knock, so Walker will be desperate to prove himself in the top flight again.

Siegrist

Siegrist is in the final years of his contract and has been linked with a big move out of Dundee United.

The stopper was subject of a failed bid from Ipswich in the window, and having picked up a mystery injury he has lost his starting spot to Northern Ireland cap Trevor Carson.

The Tractor Boys have now tabled a six figure bid that the Tannadice club has knocked back, and now his future is up in the air with the goalkeeper free to negotiate with with other clubs from January.

Plenty of question marks surround both the player and the club's stance.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/6-premiership-players-limbo-celtic-24896993

9 hours ago, dasboag said:

Woaft. 

We are a championship club...we are in the championship.

By your logic Rangers wont have died and clubs like Derby and Forest must still be huge in England...based on what they achieved prior? 

I get you don't want us to be in the championship, but to consider us 'above' it is the kind of attitude that got us relegated in the first place

We had 28 consecutive years as an SPFL club. We are currently in the championship and unless I’m mistaken many fans, including yourself, are of the opinion that we are going to win the league this year and return to the SPFL. On that basis I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider us an SPFL club as that’s where we should be in May. 
I’m not sure how ‘that attitude’ got us relegated in the first place. On the contrary, after the defeat from St Mirren at Christmas I stated quite clearly if we appointed Dyer as manager we would go down. His incompetence coupled with a squad of poorer players made it inevitable in my view. 

2 hours ago, Bellman2010 said:

Potentially some interesting loan options amongst this lot. 

Vasilis Barkas, Brandon Barker, Matty Kennedy, Scott Allan, Jamie Walker, Benjamin Siegrist.

Barkas:

It's safe to say the move to Celtic hasn't worked out for Vasilis Barkas.

There were high hopes for the Greek goalkeeper after he arrived from AEK Athens last summer, but things haven't worked out after the £5million move.

He was offered a second chance after a nightmare debut campaign by Ange Postecoglou, but was quickly replaced by new recruit Joe Hart after early-season errors.

He doesn't even appear to be the Australian's second choice with Scott Bain named on the bench since the arrival of the England cap.

Reports had suggested that Barkas could be offered a lifeline in Greece or Italy, but a bid failed to materialise.

Now the stopper is stuck in limbo at Parkhead, and club chiefs must be desperate to offload the costly flop

Barker

Winger Barker dropped to the fringes of Steven Gerrard ’s squad last season as the champions surged towards an unbeaten league campaign, and was sent south of the border on loan to Oxford.

However, when he returned former Hibs and Manchester City player he finds himself further down the pecking order with the addition of Scott Wright and Fashion Sakala.

The likes of Jordan Jones, who was in a similar position to Barker, have been moved on but the 24-year-old remains on the books at Ibrox.

Having netted three goals in 23 games during his spell in English League One he would have hoped to be offered a chance in Govan or elsewhere, but a transfer exit option didn't arrive.

Maybe a move before the loan window deadline awaits? Barker will hope so.

Kennedy

This summer, Aberdeen outcast Matty Kennedy looked to be on the brink of an exit from Pittodrie.

St Mirren were interested in Northern Ireland international as they looked to bolster their attacking options.

A move to Paisley never got over the line and he now remains on the sidelines in the Granite City.

Having not made an appearance for Aberdeen so far this season it seems unlikely he will be given a chance by Stephen Glass.

It's a tough situation for the winger as he looks to somehow break into the manager's plans.

Allan

Playmaker Allan was shipped out of Hibs on loan to Inverness CT for the second half of last season as he continued to step up his return from a heart condition that kept him out of action for five months.

Having returned to Easter Road, he has been used sparingly be Jack Ross so far this season, with four of his five run-outs coming off the bench.

The 29-year-old will have been still holding out hope for a second chance in the capital, but he was offered as a makeweight in the 11th hour move to bring Jamie McGrath in from St Mirren.

Allan now has another uphill battle to make his claim for a first-team spot once again.

Walker

Sporting director Joe Savage has confirmed Hearts are interested in former Rangers winger Barrie McKay - and that could be a major blow for Jamie Walker.

The winger is yet to be handed a start by Robbie Neilson since their return to the Premiership, with Tynecastle chiefs clearly looking at alternative options.

If McKay does put pen to paper, it would push the 29-year-old down to fourth choice on the list of wide men on Gorgie.

His pre-season and start to the campaign has been hampered by an ankle knock, so Walker will be desperate to prove himself in the top flight again.

Siegrist

Siegrist is in the final years of his contract and has been linked with a big move out of Dundee United.

The stopper was subject of a failed bid from Ipswich in the window, and having picked up a mystery injury he has lost his starting spot to Northern Ireland cap Trevor Carson.

The Tractor Boys have now tabled a six figure bid that the Tannadice club has knocked back, and now his future is up in the air with the goalkeeper free to negotiate with with other clubs from January.

Plenty of question marks surround both the player and the club's stance.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/6-premiership-players-limbo-celtic-24896993

Aberdeen fan on the Terrace podcast was saying they've got so many players he's not sure if Kennedy will make match day squads at this rate. Interesting one

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

You would like to think that we are trying to bring Kennedy to the club. 

I was a bit put out by Kennedy's ungracious comments on the club when he went to Everton, and I've seen little since then to show that he is better than Burke or F. Murray.

Edited by jasper
spelling

1 hour ago, jasper said:

I was a bit put out by Kennedy's ungracious comments on the club when he went to Everton, and I've seen little since then to show that he is better than Burke or F. Murray.

Kennedy was 17 or so when he went to Everton so I’m sure most will forgive him any negative comments he may have made. 

Did you never see him in action at St Johnstone? He was excellent. Burke will soon be 38 and his pace will go and he’ll take longer to recover from the injuries he will get after being targeted a la ICT. 

I think he would be a game changer and a terrific loan signing. 

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

Haven‘t given hope of Gullan on loan. 

Possibly Hibs covering themselves in case own deals fail to happen again , with an option to bring him back in January rather than the rumoured permanent original deal ….

Hopefully it gets concluded this time 

The key for me is that we have to win the league to be guaranteed promotion.

Even if we get through the Championship playoffs it is unusual that the Championship team beats the Premiership team which again shows what a clusterf**k last season was for us to get well beaten over two legs by Dundee. 

We have built a team to perform in the Championship but we’d need a lot of things to go for us to get promoted via the playoff including the Premiership team to be as bad as we were last year. 

37 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Possibly Hibs covering themselves in case own deals fail to happen again , with an option to bring him back in January rather than the rumoured permanent original deal ….

Hopefully it gets concluded this time 

Hibs realised they’ve got as many as four unhappy players who know they’re not wanted or only there to make up the numbers after they failed with other deals in the window?

They’ve done what’s best for the club but Gullan wanted out to play football. Others were offered up for potential make weights in the move for the boy from St Mirren. Those boys won’t be in the best of spirits and might not be what they need around the group

28 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Even if we get through the Championship playoffs it is unusual that the Championship team beats the Premiership team which again shows what a clusterf**k last season was for us to get well beaten over two legs by Dundee. 

Compared to all other seasons the shortened league season in the championship worked in their favour. 

Not that it is any excuse but it was a difference from other years.