Transfer Summer 2021

Craigieboy

On 9/5/2021 at 7:56 PM, G said:

Thought Nesbitt for Falkirk looked better than anything we had in the centre of midfield yesterday. I see he left Morton on a free and only signed a 2 year deal with Falkirk in July. 24 years old, through Celtic’s youth team via Dundee Utd. Think he potentially could be a great player. Shame we never jumped at signing him when he was available.

agreed. Very creative and very energetic. A stand out for them. 

21 minutes ago, the big ring said:

agreed. Very creative and very energetic. A stand out for them. 

Big thing we’re expected of him when he was at Celtic.Scored a hat trick in a youth cup final against Sevco and got rave reviews when playing in a youth tournament for Scotland.Done nothing of note in the senior game ,was realeased by MK Dons and Dundee Utd.

2 hours ago, G said:

It’s really interesting thinking about Nesbitt, having read an article about the success of Belgian football. They worked out that due to a small population, they couldn’t afford to overlook the potential of players that might not develop until later in their career. As a result, they squeeze every ounce of talent out of available players and nurture those who show potential and may grow into a player later on.  Unlike here, where we seem to almost reject players who don’t meet an exact standard early on.  How many players are left to stagnate in Scottish football because they are a slow burn, to the point where they ultimately get left behind?

How is a player left to stagnate by playing in Scottish Football. No matter where a player is they need to show the hunger and desire to succeed. If they do nothing and fail in the multiple chances they get then it is on them. What you miss is that many players go abroad for this reason and are back in no time. For every success there is a bunch of failures. Does not matter the level or country. Some succeed and more fail. 

hopefully going to see Shaw succeed. I am not sure why Ross County stopped using him but I am sure they let him go due to high wages for them. He has a bit of everything and has a good goals to minutes ratio. Just needs to play regularly. 

I remember someone saying we could have gotten a Shankland or Nisbett and it is very true. Not this season but we could have invested in them before they worth much more. Shaw could be one of those in the making. Surprised Hibs let him go and even more surprised Ross County not been using him lately. 

liked what TW said about not bringing in a squad player. We now got 4 strikers and do not need competition. We need someone who will make a difference. Personally I would prefer a creative player in midfield, wing or an upgrade on Polworth (decent player but overrated on here IMO, prefer to see him play alongside McGinn).

No idea the options and I cannot see us signing a striker without Cameron going on loan. decent squad we have and we need obvious upgrades rather than similar level. 

Interested to see if TW goes 2 up top as he said Shaw and Robinson been training as a front 2. Honestly think Cameron would be better in a front 2 with less than 2 players marking him. No matter what you think of Cameron it has been obvious defenders see him as a danger. Someone alongside could benefit from this. I like his lay off and link play but he needs to show some desire in the box. I was hoping he got a couple of goals and maybe started believing he would score( his belief seems his main issue and why a loan might be good). Cameron decent at this level but not quite at level we need to win the title

Players stagnate all the time in Scottish football. The massive difference in financial backing for clubs being the main reason. The ugly sisters buy up players that threaten them, with no intention of giving them game time. Our third place team was picked off by the removal of Stewart and Taylor, neither of whom have played regularly since. The Dundee United side of a few years ago was picked off by Celtic who promptly left all of the players on the bench at best.

Add in the media's obsession that managers can only be ex old firm players most of which are useless and the game stagnates.

Belgian football used to be Anderlecht or nothing, the levelling off of their league means the club's that used to be further down can now attract higher transfer fees. Look at the fee Oostende have just got for Hendry compared with what St. Johnstone have just received for McCann.

Not sure what the answer is as it is unlikely we will see rich foreigners or nation states levelling up the league like there has been in England. The best option for Scotland would probably be to get rid of the ugly sisters thereby establishing a league where 5 or 6 teams would have a legitimate chance of winning this would help drive up standards.

49 minutes ago, Kfcinlancashire said:

Not sure what the answer is as it is unlikely we will see rich foreigners or nation states levelling up the league like there has been in England. The best option for Scotland would probably be to get rid of the ugly sisters thereby establishing a league where 5 or 6 teams would have a legitimate chance of winning this would help drive up standards.

Probably right but I think there would be a dramatic drop in full time players and promising youngsters would be picked up by English clubs for next to nothing for there youth academy’s.Certainly make a more competitive league and any team having a one off season could win it  

3 hours ago, Kfcinlancashire said:

Players stagnate all the time in Scottish football. The massive difference in financial backing for clubs being the main reason. The ugly sisters buy up players that threaten them, with no intention of giving them game time. Our third place team was picked off by the removal of Stewart and Taylor, neither of whom have played regularly since. The Dundee United side of a few years ago was picked off by Celtic who promptly left all of the players on the bench at best.

Add in the media's obsession that managers can only be ex old firm players most of which are useless and the game stagnates.

Belgian football used to be Anderlecht or nothing, the levelling off of their league means the club's that used to be further down can now attract higher transfer fees. Look at the fee Oostende have just got for Hendry compared with what St. Johnstone have just received for McCann.

Oh I see what you meant. Like Hendry and Ralston recently stuck at Celtic doing nothing. I was really hoping we got Ralston before as I always thought he looked pretty good in limited appearances. Oh and Hendry too on loan before he went to Belgium. Anyone with a head on their shoulders could see these two were good but random s**t foreigners were signed instead. Kenny instead of Ralston, just cause he been at Everton? Could not believe Ralston never got a chance. Gets thrown in through desperation and low and behold there is a player there.

Rangers got Jones and Stewart for free. Never understood the Stewart signing as I doubted he get a chance. Taylor I think Celtic got for peanuts of his worth and played him as if he was worth peanuts. 

As someone said being in the UK is really a handicap at times because competition from England is ridiculous. We have not the resources to compete with second tier clubs. We get rules on foreign players meant for English clubs. This hurts us badly as we cannot bring in random players from far and wide to the youth system and hope for a gem or two. Imagine the difference to the club if rangers and Celtic filled their youth system with foreigners and we would get a better standard etc. Clubs like Porto been doing stuff like this for years and it brings in quality and money way above their status. 

How do we increase transfer fees from big clubs? I got no idea tbh. You can only get what you hold out for and clubs think they can get a bargain in Scotland. 

there is Edouard just got a double in 10 minutes. Oh he struggle against better defenders. Ajer looking like a star in a battling team. The old firm get peanuts for their players and we all get next to nothing.

john McGinn for only a million. We all knew how good he was. Tierney for what 25? They love Robertson down south and we all knew Tierney is better and yet relatively nothing for a top player. 

33 minutes ago, killie1968 said:

Maybe waiting to the January window now to see what area of the team needs improving or cover for injuries. Given that Robinson is back playing and Burrell apparently getting close to playing.

Think this will be the case unless a good opportunity becomes available.

we brought in hodson to cover Naismith which was needed. Stokes is close to being back so we’ll have 4 centre halves again. We’ve plenty cover for midfield.

we now have 4 strikers/forwards. Shaw, Robinson Cameron and Burrell. All offer different things so we should have enough to make a good partnership and replacements to freshen.