Kiltie to Bolton

kfc_superteam

I can't see a senario in which Greg Kiltie wouldn't be a major asset for us next season. If not m.o.m. every game he's consistently been in the best two or three.

He's been left out mysteriously on a number of occasions though quite what was going on in Dyer's brain I'm not sure.

He should have been the exception in terms of a contract offer months ago. Apart from anything else we aren't going to get better for the money he's likely to command and he's still of an age to be a saleable asset if on a decent contract length.

I hope Greg realises that St Johnstone aren't the answer and Bolton Wanderers aren't even the (expletive deleted) question!

31 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

I can't see a senario in which Greg Kiltie wouldn't be a major asset for us next season. If not m.o.m. every game he's consistently been in the best two or three.

He's been left out mysteriously on a number of occasions though quite what was going on in Dyer's brain I'm not sure.

He should have been the exception in terms of a contract offer months ago. Apart from anything else we aren't going to get better for the money he's likely to command and he's still of an age to be a saleable asset if on a decent contract length.

I hope Greg realises that St Johnstone aren't the answer and Bolton Wanderers aren't even the (expletive deleted) question!

He's on the verge of being our poty this season. 8 points clear, and on the verge of scoring a point for the game on Monday.

8 minutes ago, CB said:

He's on the verge of being our poty this season. 8 points clear, and on the verge of scoring a point for the game on Monday.

I see BBC had him as m.o.m. on Monday though he was taken off. Maybe that was with tomorrow in mind and in anticipation of Lafferty not making it? Otherwise it didn't make much sense.

Sadly there's precious little competition for poty this season!

2 hours ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Kiltie when he does perform is one of our top performers. 

However, with us at risk of going down... we can't go throwing a contract at Greg based on his injury record. If we were to offer improved terms and go down it could be horrendous 

50 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

However, with us at risk of going down... we can't go throwing a contract at Greg based on his injury record. If we were to offer improved terms and go down it could be horrendous 

It’s three years since he recovered from his last significant injury.

That, to me, represents a player who is fully fit.

Anyway, I don’t think we will be offering contracts to anyone until our position is clear.

Edited by skygod

I still say that I doubt we'll get anyone of Greg Kiltie's age or ability for the money he's likely to expect.

I remember the argument on here a couple of years back that in difficult times loads of quality recruits would be available for free and we'd end up either an improved squad. What happened there then? 

Was the Fowler/Dyer recruitment really that bad or are we simply uncompetitive in what we offer?

Is the logic really that if we're relegated we can't afford a Greg Kiltie? If so, we can look forward to an absolute dross product in the championship and the probability of doing a Falkirk/Partick Thistle.

What has happened is that many of our decent players have left for free and been replaced by much inferior guys. Others have simply gone beyond their sell by date. We are now in a terrible mess.

All of this makes the next three matches among the most vital in our history. Survival this season represents a last chance to reset but it requires a change of mindset. I think a smaller but better quality squad and a stronger focus on youth development is the only way out.

I guess, in what passes for my way of thinking, Greg Kiltie has become a symbol of both what's gone wrong and what needs to be done. It might be overplayed, I might be overstating his abilities, but symbols are powerful things. We make sense of the world by them.

After all this 'thinking' I'm even more tense about today.

Come on Killie!

1 hour ago, Harrogate Peter said:

I still say that I doubt we'll get anyone of Greg Kiltie's age or ability for the money he's likely to expect.

I remember the argument on here a couple of years back that in difficult times loads of quality recruits would be available for free and we'd end up either an improved squad. What happened there then? 

Was the Fowler/Dyer recruitment really that bad or are we simply uncompetitive in what we offer?

Is the logic really that if we're relegated we can't afford a Greg Kiltie? If so, we can look forward to an absolute dross product in the championship and the probability of doing a Falkirk/Partick Thistle.

What has happened is that many of our decent players have left for free and been replaced by much inferior guys. Others have simply gone beyond their sell by date. We are now in a terrible mess.

All of this makes the next three matches among the most vital in our history. Survival this season represents a last chance to reset but it requires a change of mindset. I think a smaller but better quality squad and a stronger focus on youth development is the only way out.

I guess, in what passes for my way of thinking, Greg Kiltie has become a symbol of both what's gone wrong and what needs to be done. It might be overplayed, I might be overstating his abilities, but symbols are powerful things. We make sense of the world by them.

After all this 'thinking' I'm even more tense about today.

Come on Killie!

I think you are suggesting we should try to retain him. Once we know what league we are in and what our budget is we can make offers to players. FWIW I think The club have shown loyalty to Greg when he had injuries and I think he’ll show that loyalty back unless like Findlay he gets a life changing offer. If he does best of luck to him. 

I think he has a role to play at this club under Tommy Wright as manager. 

2 hours ago, red_dug said:

Hopefully he realises that st Johnstone are a sideways step at best and he'd be gobbled up physically in the English game.

Killie is where he should stay. I think he will so long as TW plans on playing him.

If St Johnstone win the cup, they will be guaranteed European football till Christmas, £3m in payments, have finished in the top six and won two cups. Compared with our season I am not sure how that's a sideways move.

The tragedy is that from 3 seasons ago a move from Killie to St Johnstone should have been seen as a downwards career move.

23 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

I liked the lad McAleny.

If we do lose Kiltie I'd be looking to see if that lad is available 

The one at Oldham. He was here before under Clarke. I’d take a punt on Connor Shields from QoS. 

I think Wright will mostly go for tried and trusted players with Experience of the Premiership. They may not be exciting names but they’ll be players that can do a reliable job. This is what he did at St Johnstone. 

Edited by MarkyMark

Like it or not Greg has been a fringe player for years now and as we know sent out to various clubs on loan. If I was manager he'd be in the team every week but folk who make these decisions incl. SSC didn't fancy him. TW hasn't used him much either. So I don't grudge him a fresh start as what are we bringing to his career.

If we are being realistic and take off our blue tinged glasses for a minute then we have to admit that going to probably 6 or 7 other present spfl teams and add hearts as well wouldn't be a sideways or backwards step at this present time in Scottish football.

I agree and hope that GK might be persuaded if we survive to consider us as a viable option for him but he might have already decided to try pastures new and we all know money talks much more than loyalty as it is a short career!

13 hours ago, Ngonge88 said:

Kiltie when he does perform is one of our top performers. 

But we still need to field a team irrespective of what division we end up in.

Kiltie to me would be a sensible signing even if we went down, he has shone at that level before, we could build a team around him, he is young enough to consider a sellable asset, he wouldn't cost the earth to have tied down.

When we could potentially be playing in the Championship next season I don’t understand how anyone can say St Johnstone would be a sideways step. Played in Europe 5 of the last 8 seasons. Couple of cup wins with potentially a 3rd soon. 

Getting players like Kiltie to re sign is why it’s imperative that we take 3 points today and take a step closer to safety and not rely on others teams.