Goalkeepers

Killiepies

It was Right at the time to let JM leave , he wanted at his age to play regular first team football and to be closer to home re family life etc…..was right time for both the club and player 

The wrong recruitment decisions in regard to all but one keeper since has been a scandal ……

Survival in this league is the main priority at the moment , one way or another , but would hope come end of the season the right decisions are taken in both overhauling the playing squad but also addressing the overall management and coaching set up at RP and what seems to be issues in both recruiting the right players and the lack of progress of youth players over recent years…

28 minutes ago, Estragon said:

He spent the second half of the season on loan at Grimsby Town - ended prematurely with another injury after just 7 appearances.

He player six times, got injured, and was brought back for one match in which he was injured again.

The guy is either injury prone or unlucky. He will probably be a free agent in the summer but I don’t imagine we will be in for him. 

1 hour ago, Dillinger said:

Blame lies entirely with Fowler. Two windows in which it was patently obvious what we needed- January especially.

We went for Pierrick and Medley instead, both of whom have disappeared off the face of the earth, along with Dabo.

Some window we had in January! 

21 minutes ago, skygod said:

We went for Pierrick and Medley instead, both of whom have disappeared off the face of the earth, along with Dabo.

Plus extending Doyle’s loan and Whitehall for another 6 months.More waste of money.Disaster of a window don’t think any of the signings during the window have contributed much if anything 

31 minutes ago, skygod said:

Agreed.  Much like the previous January and the summer window.  James Fowler has done nothing to merit staying is his position. 

16 minutes ago, gjkillie007 said:

Because we treated him like s**t over the previous seasons. Hence why I said we should have treated him with more respect.

We still didn't release him, which was the second part of your statement. 

3 hours ago, gjkillie007 said:

Because we treated him like s**t over the previous seasons. Hence why I said we should have treated him with more respect.

If I remember rightly we offered him a sh*ty deal.. and we should have planned for 2 good keepers. At  SPL level Jamie was at least average.. depending on a loan deal as our #1 was a risky situation... big mistake in hindsight... which we didn't fix in January.

2 hours ago, Richie242KFC said:

Poorest keepers we've had for decades, but this shouldn't let a calamitous defence in front of them of the hook

100% this.  The keepers are only partially at fault, but have taken a disproportionate amount of the blame.

I doubt would have been doing better with Jamie Mac for instance - he was a good keeper for us.  Given the amount of space we've been giving players to hit recently Buffon would struggle.

1 minute ago, Big G said:

Everybody is blaming Fowler for this goalkeeping disaster but how many times must it be said ITS THE MANAGER that tells him who he wants

the blame lies at DYERS door.  3 goalies and not a half good one between them.   

If that's the case I'm not sure what Fowler's role is and what is the point of it.

McDonald didn’t want to be backup or in competition for the jersey. He felt he still had it to be first choice and the club felt differently. I don’t think he was badly treated by anyone previous to that. Woodman was better IMO and the manager at the time felt he was better for the team in his January reshuffle. Clarke gave McDonald plenty of chances. His form dipped and once Bachmann got his chance he didn’t look back. Last season Alessio had his own ideas early days I like others thought Branescu looked like an improvement on McDonald. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

We are paying the price this season for poor planning. We didn’t have a plan B when we missed Bachmann. Eastwood was signed on a recommendation. He gets injured and Rogers the backup becomes first choice with an emergency loan in Doyle coming in.

The way January played out was criminal IMO. Budget was tight we all know. Dabo wasn’t a priority. We knew by that point Rogers wasn’t first choice. Doyle had done nothing to deserve the extension. We should have gone out then and used what budget we had to get a bit of quality keeper at least until the end of the season. Dyer should have seen it, Fowler should have seen it and Billy Thompson should have seen it. 

15 hours ago, Big G said:

Everybody is blaming Fowler for this goalkeeping disaster but how many times must it be said ITS THE MANAGER that tells him who he wants

the blame lies at DYERS door.  3 goalies and not a half good one between them.   

Okay. 

Tell me this. 

Who was the manager in the last couple of days of this January transfer window? Those are the key days that were allowed to pass without us signing a goalkeeper. 

I'll wait.

22 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Okay. 

Tell me this. 

Who was the manager in the last couple of days of this January transfer window? Those are the key days that were allowed to pass without us signing a goalkeeper. 

I'll wait.

No one. We had a caretaker. Who, in all probability relied heavily on the word of the goalkeeping coach, as he was an outfield player, whose one and only sojourn in the nets was a s**tshow at the hunnery.

If bt said they were fine, we would have looked at other areas.

Also depends on what was available at the time. Would you have wanted old T-Rex arms back?

30 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Okay. 

Tell me this. 

I'll wait.

At that point Dyer had already extended Doyle’s loan. Budget was tight. Was there enough room for another keeper at that stage. The goalkeeper issue should never have been allowed to go where it did last summer and it should certainly have been sorted on the first day of the January window