Goalkeepers

Killiepies

Recruitment is key. Since Clarke left our recruitment has been appalling. Dyer was ultimately responsible for the recruitment during his spell. The jury is out on Fowler. Dyer compounded the mistake by keeping the squad Clarke had together or reassembling it with players that left. Every team has to move forward as if they don't the ultimately go backwards. This is what has happened to Killie. Complete squad rebuild needed as are a poor team, with a poor squad and limited options. This is proven by the position we currently find ourselves in. No point in trying to sugar coat any of this. 

4 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Recruitment is key. Since Clarke left our recruitment has been appalling. Dyer was ultimately responsible for the recruitment during his spell. The jury is out on Fowler. Dyer compounded the mistake by keeping the squad Clarke had together or reassembling it with players that left. Every team has to move forward as if they don't the ultimately go backwards. This is what has happened to Killie. Complete squad rebuild needed as are a poor team, with a poor squad and limited options. This is proven by the position we currently find ourselves in. No point in trying to sugar coat any of this. 

Probably what made us so appealing to Wright. So many out of contract, can run the rule over them, sort the wheat from the chaff, and rebuild the team from the bottom up. 

I don't see a Lee Clark style, human centipede photocall, but I'd expect a reasonable flow during the summer.

1 minute ago, CB said:

Probably what made us so appealing to Wright. So many out of contract, can run the rule over them, sort the wheat from the chaff, and rebuild the team from the bottom up. 

I don't see a Lee Clark style, human centipede photocall, but I'd expect a reasonable flow during the summer.

It is a massive task and too big for one gut hence why Fowler will probably remain if we stay up. I'd keep 3 or 4 from that squad at the most. We may not be able to move the players under contract but some of them have proven not to be good enough so no place for sentimentality.  

I think one of my main hopes for next season is that we’re able to get decent goalkeeper into the team; ideally someone that’s good enough to make the place their own for a sustained period. 

It would be wonderful to have someone who can communicate and organise a defence, as well as obviously making the saves and taking a bit of control of their area. It’s been far, far too long. 

Actually, the whole back five positions smack of a group which is seriously missing a leader. A good keeper and central defender would make a world of difference to our team in no time. 

8 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

Yes, if only we had a 36 year old centre back who has played at international and European level and is able to organise a defence. 

To be fair, the first three facts are true, but I don’t think the last one’s ever been remotely true. He’s always been more of an empty heid last-ditch-tackles body-on-the-line type of player. 

I think waiting for him to organise things by dint of him being older has been part of the issue. At a higher level he tended to either be alongside a better player or a backup option. 

Getting a decent goalie should be the first building block of any team. For those of my generation there was a reason why Cloughie splashed out on Shilton, the confidence having someone like that behind you just spreads through the whole team. Danny Bachmann had that impact on us. Ok we can't expect to get a guy of that standard but teams like Livi and St Mirren have had good keepers recently so where were we? I don't like being too critical of our guys as it's a tough enough job without all of us wading in with opinions on how useless they are, but I agree the goalkeeper recruitment has appeared lazy at best by people that appear not to appreciate just how vital it is to the team. Instead they get starstruck by a Crystsl Palace reserve who's hardly kicked a ball or identify a journeyman right back as the summer's no.1 transfer target? I mean really? Bachmann behind even that defence we're 12-15 points better off no problem. 

28 minutes ago, Travis said:

To be fair, the first three facts are true, but I don’t think the last one’s ever been remotely true. He’s always been more of an empty heid last-ditch-tackles body-on-the-line type of player. 

I think waiting for him to organise things by dint of him being older has been part of the issue. At a higher level he tended to either be alongside a better player or a backup option. 

Yes, I completely agree. 

36 minutes ago, skygod said:

I was one who didn’t understand because I thought they had a perfectly adequate keeper in John Middleton (who?)! 

Who played against us of course in the Anglo Scottish! Seem to remember it was all going so well until Frank Welsh was short with a pass back in extra time....

3 hours ago, Travis said:

And spends his time trying to win wrestling matches in both boxes to the detriment of winning the ball.

4 hours ago, Prahakillie said:

Yes, if only we had a 36 year old centre back who has played at international and European level and is able to organise a defence. 

Correct. A team like Bowie’s killie are lucky to have KB.

I have a recurring nightmare when....I worry of..,Dicker and Broadfoot and Jones And Sod and I wake up up.....and we ACTUALLY have s**te players who don’t give a s**t about our club....it’s coming.....I hope we can avoid but lots on here should embrace this moment....and understand how it’s actually happened. And hope, somehow, in the absence of boardroom leadership, the players and TW, can save the day.

I know he's had some ropey moments in his time, but I quite like Ofir Marciano - think hes pretty solid - well above out current keepers.  Know he's leaving Hibs this summer but not sure if he's going home to Israel or not given a couple of recent media stories.

Could be one that's well out of our budget....but also might be really settled in Scotland and looking for a contract. Especially whats currently going on with his wife in Israel just now.  I think he's well worth a look.

The stockpiling of players in the top two leagues in England means our best bet is a loan. By a long way out best two recent goalies  have been Bachman and Woodman. Watching Woodman last night he was playing a different game to any of our keepers over the last two years. If we make a priority of signing a keeper on a permanent deal , in order to get someone decent, the budget will be gone.