Play offs V Dundee

C4mmy31

I'm relatively confident, in the fact that I thought we'd have finished bottom after that 3-2 defeat away at County a few months back, so this seems like a bonus opportunity.

Both teams are poor, I know he won't but this seems ideal to put Mulumbu in a midfield 3 with Dicker & Power and just have him win the game himself, feel as though he's still got a big performance in him.

3 minutes ago, Dan1el said:

I'm relatively confident, in the fact that I thought we'd have finished bottom after that 3-2 defeat away at County a few months back, so this seems like a bonus opportunity.

Both teams are poor, I know he won't but this seems ideal to put Mulumbu in a midfield 3 with Dicker & Power and just have him win the game himself, feel as though he's still got a big performance in him.

I can see the logic of a midfield three but the risk is an isolated Lafferty and an isolated Lafferty would be a frustrated Lafferty and a danger ...... to himself!

The one certainty is we need him for the second leg!

If central midfield three is the way to go I'd drop Pinnock and give Kiltie and Burke freedom to roam behind Lafferty to give support. That means playing fairly narrow and relying on fullbacks for width. 

Are the midfield trio mobile enough to provide cover when the fullbacks are caught upfield?

There are risks either way!

6 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

I can see the logic of a midfield three but the risk is an isolated Lafferty and an isolated Lafferty would be a frustrated Lafferty and a danger ...... to himself!

The one certainty is we need him for the second leg!

If central midfield three is the way to go I'd drop Pinnock and give Kiltie and Burke freedom to roam behind Lafferty to give support. That means playing fairly narrow and relying on fullbacks for width. 

Are the midfield trio mobile enough to provide cover when the fullbacks are caught upfield?

There are risks either way!

True, any 11 we put out with this team is a risk! I'd have Power shadowing Adam, and Mulumbu as the surprise that they won't have planned for.

The front 4 are the only thing that's really worked for us recently. They've pulled us through games where the defence have been throwing it away. Changing formation shouldn't even be a consideration. We're the stronger side, we should be playing to our strengths and that strength is Lafferty with Kiltie off of him and Burke and Pinnock either side. Adam is a good player but we should have more than enough in the midfield to deal with them without starting undoing the progress we've made in the final third.

Their biggest threat is us. If anyone is going to win this for them it's more likely to be Doyle throwing one in out of nothing than Adam being unplayable.

Also, as bad as our defence is I don't think Ashcroft or Fontaine would walk into it so we should be as positive as we can be in our supply to Lafferty rather than a defensive change up - you'd fancy Lafferty to take a few against them if we attack like we have been for the last 10 games.

All being fit, I think the team for Thursday is set.

TW has clearly decided that Doyle is the lesser of two evils so he'll be in goals. Waters had his chance v St Mirren and blew it, so again Haunstrup is the lesser of two evils. Broadfoot and Rossi will start as will Millen. Power and Dicker will start in the middle, Pinnock's two goals means he'll be on the left, Kiltie as AM and Burke on the right with Lafferty upfront.

Anything else and I'd be surprised. TW isn't suddenly going to bring in Tish or Mulumbu from the start.

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

I wonder whether Burke will be saved for Monday.

Is this is more a McKenzie type game?

Do we go on the front foot to win the match or do we start more conservatively to contain?

Our strength (if you want to call it that) is going forward so I'd be surprised if we tried to contain at Dens. They'll likely have Cammy Kerr, a right-back by trade, playing at left-back and both the Dundee full-backs struggled with Raith's wide men so for me Burke needs to play from the start. I know he books himself into a hotel before all matches anyway but if needs be get him up to Dundee the night before and give him the best possible rest as along with Lafferty he's going to be the difference in staying up or not.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

The front 4 are the only thing that's really worked for us recently. They've pulled us through games where the defence have been throwing it away. Changing formation shouldn't even be a consideration. We're the stronger side, we should be playing to our strengths and that strength is Lafferty with Kiltie off of him and Burke and Pinnock either side. Adam is a good player but we should have more than enough in the midfield to deal with them without starting undoing the progress we've made in the final third.

Their biggest threat is us. If anyone is going to win this for them it's more likely to be Doyle throwing one in out of nothing than Adam being unplayable.

Also, as bad as our defence is I don't think Ashcroft or Fontaine would walk into it so we should be as positive as we can be in our supply to Lafferty rather than a defensive change up - you'd fancy Lafferty to take a few against them if we attack like we have been for the last 10 games.

My thoughts exactly, we are scoring goals just now so let's continue that habit as we all know that we'll concede at the other end. If they score 4, we'll score 5 type of attitude. 

Mitch Pinnock reckons Kilmarnock should be classed as favourites against Dundee.

The winger scored two as Killie beat Hamilton 2-0 on Sunday, only for Ross County’s win at Motherwell to condemn them to a double-header with Dundee to save their 28-year top-flight status.

Pinnock, who has five goals this season, has experience of last-gasp survival acts after his spell at AFC Wimbledon two years ago. The Dons, all but down by Christmas, lost one of their last 12 games and saved themselves with a final-day draw at Bradford City.

Asked if the Rugby Park outfit should be favourites against the runners-up from the league below, he said: “Yes, definitely.

“We are the Premiership team, so we should be going into it like that. We are all positive – nobody is thinking the worst.

“In the last nine games or so we have scored 24 goals – we shouldn’t be in the position we are. At the start of the season we were throwing away points and it caught up on us.

"But the recent form has been really good.

“We absolutely have to carry that on into the Dundee games. We’ve been averaging two goals a game. If we can keep it tight at the back, there should be no problems.

“At Wimbledon we had to draw to stay in the league. That was similar. We had been 10 points adrift at the bottom at Christmas – it looked a write-off – but we pulled together and managed to save ourselves. That helps.

"We’re all experienced in that dressing room, we’re switched on and ready.

“It’s a bit of a similar mood to back then at Wimbledon. The boys are all positive.

"When everyone is down, then that can creep in and affect you.

“But we have been positive since the gaffer came in and we need to carry that on.”

Pinnock could have bagged a hat-trick after regular taker Kyle Lafferty handed a 71st minute penalty to the Englishman.

But Accies keeper Jamie Smith pulled off a fantastic save to deny Pinnock.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/mitch-pinnock-reckons-kilmarnock-favourites-24142511

Still think Dundee are stronger than us overall at keeper, defence and midfield, with us having the stronger attack. Still have a huge fear of Lafferty being sent off..they will niggle him from.the start so he has to keep the head throughout.

If our defence plays the way it has been  we are in serious trouble. On the other hand if they can just keep it together for 2 games we have a chance.

Still reckon the tie is balanced 50:50 at the moment.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:38 PM, Dillinger said:

I've just been identified as a close contact and told to self isolate for 10 days, so one of the 600 tickets drawn in the ballot will go to me, you can absolutely guarantee it. 

Now just to see what happens with the other 599.

As predicted. 

Absolutely f**king inevitable. 

f**k this f**king year.