Tommy Wrights comments

Cass316

2 minutes ago, Comeonkillie said:

Football is all about opinions and I fully respect that, however surely we can find better squad players than him if we are to improve next season.

If we can Id be happy with that too.  I’m just thinking out budget is needed to be spent quite widely, as such funds may be limited so we may have to settle to an extent with some of those we would in normal situations get rid of.

24 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

If we can Id be happy with that too.  I’m just thinking out budget is needed to be spent quite widely, as such funds may be limited so we may have to settle to an extent with some of those we would in normal situations get rid of.

He gives every impression of being a hard-working, honest pro who could do a job, either as a second striker or as a more defensive forward option if we’re looking to put a defence under a bit of pressure. 

If there are higher-quality options out there that we can afford that’s lovely. But we’re going to need some depth as we’re heading to be down to the bare bones soon. Certainly not  a player I’d be discounting at this stage, and the clear second-best option right now. 

Edited by Travis

3 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Looking from the outside it seems like a perfect storm of getting everything wrong. 

Fowler at odds with Dyer over signings 

Players at odds with each other and Millen towards the end of that management team

The board at odds with some of the players/ all of the fans in how long they kept Dyer 

Cliques of players at odds with each other 

Find it hard to judge it all. I'm not in the camp that thinks players thinking they are better than they are is the main problem. I think there's an element of that and it's not helped, but that's not why we kept losing games. 

For me it's transfers and Wright mot getting the window. It looks obvious to me from watching every game that the players don't trust Rodgers or Doyle an inch. That infects our defence way more than behind the scenes stuff or egos I think. A half decent goalkeeper isn't difficult. 

Not having options has also meant we can only play one way, maybe two at a stretch, and there's no help from the bench. So we're predicatable, lacking in creativity and opposition know we can't change things... 

s**te goalkeepers is the problem 

Oakley is the second best striker we have. Unfortunately we don’t have the talent to really make that something to boast about.

IMO we need to look at the youth next season. Cameron, Connell, Brindley, Warnock, Deveney and others. Are they viable options for the club? What do we need to do to get the best from them and for the team. Do they need to play for us? More time on loan? What obstacles are we putting in their way to progress.

4 minutes ago, piffer said:

Oakley is the second best striker we have. Unfortunately we don’t have the talent to really make that something to boast about.

IMO we need to look at the youth next season. Cameron, Connell, Brindley, Warnock, Deveney and others. Are they viable options for the club? What do we need to do to get the best from them and for the team. Do they need to play for us? More time on loan? What obstacles are we putting in their way to progress.

I’d much prefer to give Cameron a few games and be a regular back up to a main man like lafferty rather than use a journeyman from the lower leagues. If Cameron or connell are not deemed ready now - I think they deserve a chance - they should be moved on. A team like killie can’t have guys like Cameron moving into 20s and still not seen as ready. We better off not investing in youth and signing lower league talent when they start showing in first teams.

22 minutes ago, piffer said:

This gap between youth football and first team standard (poor though its been) remains a major strategic problem for us. Another of Dyer's failings is that I suggest we have absolutely no idea if these lads can make it?

Making the correct judgements about them is very important in deciding what the summer recruitment priorities are.

For example would Lafferty/Oakley/ Cameron and Connell be enough and mean we could invest in Midfield, Defence and Keepers?

Look at the St Mirren squad and the options they have compared to us. We can’t even field a decent 11 let alone having options to change a game with 4 or 5 players. We need almost a complete new squad of players if we want to compete and not be fighting relegation next year. We need quicker, younger more mobile players. 

2 hours ago, piffer said:

IMO we need to look at the youth next season. Cameron, Connell, Brindley, Warnock, Deveney and others.

By all means have a look at them and give them a chance but some of them have struggled to get a game in Leagues One and Two.

Cameron and Connell would seem the most likely to be considered for inclusion at the moment, unless the others are developing quickly. 

15 minutes ago, carpetfitter said:

Keep: pinnock, Kiltie, Burke, mckenzie, lafferty, - try to sign Rossi

Bye bye the rest 

I think even that might be generous. I’d try to sign Rossi and Lafferty and potentially Burke and maybe Pinnock and that’s it. We have stuck by too many players for too long. I think we backed the players given previous performances when Alessio left and that may be the issue Wright referred to. Complete rebuild needed. There may be a role for some youths as squad players but we need two goalkeepers, a complete defence, a number of midfielders and forwards. Not only do we need a first 11. We need strength in depth as well. Haunstrup,  MacGowan etc have proven not to be good enough for whatever reason.  We are in as bad a position as I can remember squad wise and will be competing in the same market as other clubs that have been more successful. 

Edited by MarkyMark

9 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

I think even that might be generous. I’d try to sign Rossi and Lafferty and potentially Burke and maybe Pinnock and that’s it. We have stuck by too many players for too long. I think we backed the players given previous performances when Alessio left and that may be the issue Wright referred to. Complete rebuild needed. There may be a role for some youths as squad players but we need two goalkeepers, a complete defence, a number of midfielders and forwards. Not only do we need a first 11. We need strength in depth as well. Haunstrup,  MacGowan etc have proven not to be good enough for whatever reason.  We are in as bad a position as I can remember squad wise and will be competing in the same market as other clubs that have been more successful. 

IT will all come down to what Bowie does is he going to concentrate on the playing side of the club or as looks more likeley more interested in the hospitality side of his investment?

3 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Haunstrup,  MacGowan etc have proven not to be good enough for whatever reason.

I preferred Jain Syrup!

I thought he was poor today, right from the start when he tried to let the ball go out, was dispossessed and could have been penalised.

I have friends who are Pompey fans and were sorry to see him go but they can’t believe it when I say he hardly ever overlaps and crosses. 

And really sloppy in possession. He can wander out of position and with Pinnock being less than solid in defence, we are vulnerable on that flank.

On the other side, Millen sometimes over commits when playing one-twos when going for the return pass. If it breaks down because of his bad pass or a poor return, he can be left stranded. Not so bad in the final third but not around the halfway line.

8 hours ago, skygod said:

By all means have a look at them and give them a chance but some of them have struggled to get a game in Leagues One and Two.

Cameron and Connell would seem the most likely to be considered for inclusion at the moment, unless the others are developing quickly. 

Been case for too long now that there has been young players tipped to be rising stars at 16/17, year later have periods out on loan …come back to RP and have the odd game on the bench …but then disappear …we must have one of the poorest records in our current league in past few years for bringing through our own players to play in first team ……..instead only have young players in squad who are on loan from EPL clubs 

Part of Fowler’s remit was to review and improve the overall coaching set up at all ages ,hope that will be more successful than the recruitment part of his job has been so far 

7 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Been case for too long now that there has been young players tipped to be rising stars at 16/17, year later have periods out on loan …come back to RP and have the odd game on the bench …but then disappear …

Very few go on to make an impact at a similar or higher level, so it’s not as if we are making bad decisions in releasing players.

We are just not producing many full-time professional standard footballers.

Yet Paul McDonald seems fireproof.