The Euros

7 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

It's a sad side of the modern game that players with talent like Sterling fall over so deliberately and so easily. Kanes was more of a penalty. He is well known for this aspect of this game so you can understand why so many folk dislike him. Cheating little s**t.  

WHich one is the Cheating little s**t? To me Kane and Grealish are generally much worse than Sterling but all three are "world class" in the dark arts of football. The time Kane tried to get Schmeichel sent off in a Spurs v Leicester match a couple of years ago was even more embarrassing than Immobile's antics the other night.

9 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

Desperate attempt to justify decision in the Guardian: 

"The penalty came with 12 minutes gone in extra time and Denmark paddling. Sterling did that thing he does, running into contact, toe to toe, taking his man into that uncomfortable place. A tired leg touched the back of his calf as he skipped through. Sterling went down. There were protests, wagged fingers, outrage. VAR upheld the call, which was perhaps based on sound as much as vision, the click of boot on leg."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jul/07/england-emerge-into-the-light-after-a-night-of-noirish-nordic-drama

Utter bollocks. The team on top with the crowd behind them were pressing, their fastest player ran into the box and took a dive, the referee reacted to the scenario by pointing for a penalty, VAR failed to over-rule the mistake for reasons unknown. End of.

27 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

england won with an own goal and a suspect penalty, but they were the best team and deserved the win.

This!

And as for the complaints about guys falling over in the box, I dont remember quite the same reaction when a certain Killie player did a much less convincing job at Dundee.

Whether it is the Infirm or super Engerland, there is always a bit of personal humour for me listening to the pundits bulls**t trying to morally justify cheating. Sadly, that is the world we live in, be it personal relationships, politics or fitba. Looking ahead to Sunday, Engerland are up against the European Champions in that area.

7 hours ago, Zorro said:

Less errors than the previous system, which relied solely on the human element, so it’s not fit for purpose? Now I’m unsure if you’re a Luddite proposing going back to the good old day, where these things even themselves out over a season or a technophile proposing the removal of humans from the equation altogether. Either way, you’re wrong. 

All you need to do is remove the phrase clear and obvious error from the instructions to the VAR team and tell refs to park their ego. Job done. 

Im neither and I think we basically agree although are coming at it from different angles - (bit like the VAR refs who don’t use all the available ones?). In its current form it’s not reliable enough imo and you’re right the wording and interpretation is wrong, leading to wrong decisions. And expecting refs to park in some cases enormous egos is ambitious I think! They’ve even had to apologise in England last season for how it was being used (or not) to get to the right outcome. A better implementation of it would help players, supporters and refs. I’m all for an effective VAR, we don’t have it yet. 

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

He wasnt moving at pace, he is a diving little cant.

The Danish defenders let him into the box. From a "professional defending" point of view, better to hoof him and the ball into row Z and take a yellow, before you let him into the area. Just my own view for what it is worth, although I could never condone deliberately fouling an opponent.

58 minutes ago, Jasg said:

England charged by UEFA as some fanny shone a laser at the danish keeper.

I'm shocked  ...  not.

Actually I do know a bit about this subject professionally and in my professional engineering judgement the sale of these items should be seriously controlled by government There is no such thing as a "safe" laser in the hands of a wee NED.

Edited by gdevoy

3 hours ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

WHich one is the Cheating little s**t? To me Kane and Grealish are generally much worse than Sterling but all three are "world class" in the dark arts of football. The time Kane tried to get Schmeichel sent off in a Spurs v Leicester match a couple of years ago was even more embarrassing than Immobile's antics the other night.

I meant Sterling but yes you could add the other two if you wish or the Danish guy who writhed in agony in the first half after barely the touch  of a tackle by Shaw. Sterling was faced with three defenders. He has loads of previous. It was obvious what he was going to do. Whether it's an England player or anyone else it's a side of the game that is unpalatable and no one should view it as "oh well, its swings and roundabouts"  From that point of view VAR has been a good thing but clearly there are still flaws particularly with forwards who know how to exploit it. 

4 hours ago, Jasg said:

England charged by UEFA as some fanny shone a laser at the danish keeper!a would kick them out just to see Rio Ferdinand’s reaction 

Would be jolly funny, I mean shockingly sad if the result was reversed on the back of that.......

Having said that, I do acknowledge they done well to get to the final. 

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Would be jolly funny, I mean shockingly sad if the result was reversed on the back of that.......

Having said that, I do acknowledge they done well to get to the final. 

They’ve had every single bounce of the ball go their way, plus playing every game at home apart from one, which was against the weakest side left in the draw, who were also one of the most travelled squads and had just played 131 minutes.

our only salvation would be an Italy win, 11-10 on penalties with Kane and a Sterling missing twice