Realism

MarkyMark

When you look at teams of a similar stature to us that have been relegated they often don’t bounce straight back up. Some like Falkirk or Patrick continue to slide. Others like St Mirren take seasons to come back up. Others like Dundee take a lot longer.

A lot of the teams rebuild with a younger manager. The jury is out on TW. He inherited a very poor squad but is he the man to take us forward or is he yesterday’s man.

There is a massive rebuilding job required. Revenue will decrease, budgets will be cut, we will have less media attention, it will be more difficult to attract and retain players,  the standard of player we can sign will be poorer (although it would be difficult to assemble a poorer squad of players than we did this season). 

Given the scale of the task I think we have to accept that it may take more than one season. If we bounce straight back up we also need to stay in the Premiership and not become a yo yo club as we have been in the past before Fleeting took over. 

Edited by MarkyMark

I was thinking about a lot of things last night. Would anyone have expected Dundee to come back up 2 season later? On the same token you mention Falkirk and Partick who just fell like a dead weight. 

I'm hopeful we can rebuild in the Championship but with so many players out of contracts and unknowns surrounding finances, it isn't out the equation for us to become another Thistle or Falkirk. 

The good thing is there isn't a "big" club in the championship next year like a rangers, hearts, hibs, Dundee utd etc. If there is a year we had to go down then this one is better than many in the recent past. We will be the big club and with a good preseason should be favourites to go up.

Edited by gjkillie007

5 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

When you look at teams of a similar stature to us that have been relegated they often don’t bounce straight back up. Some like Falkirk or Patrick continue to slide. Others like St Mirren take seasons to come back up. Others like Dundee take a lot longer.

A lot of the teams rebuild with a younger manager. The jury is out on TW. He inherited a very poor squad but is he the man to take us forward or is he yesterday’s man.

There is a massive rebuilding job required. Revenue will decrease, budgets will be cut, we will have less media attention, it will be more difficult to attract and retain players,  the standard of player we can sign will be poorer (although it would be difficult to assemble a poorer squad of players than we did this season). 

Given the scale of the task I think we have to accept that it may take more than one season. If we bounce straight back up we also need to stay in the Premiership and not become a yo yo club as we have been in the past. 

A good post sir, but the bottom point is the crucial one.

For years we have been hovering the drain of the premiership with only a few blips such as the Clarke era and Mixu being different.

The issues are clear to see, why? Because they are the same as we have been calling for years. Too much squad turnover each year, putting our eggs in the loan market for actual quality, appointing inexperienced managers to name a few. Like honestly if you looked at most regular posters histories over the year you would see that we have been saying the same things year after year and only getting away with it because other teams have been even more a shambles than us.

For me, Wright is the right man but we need to quantify what that means. No matter how much he tries he is not going to sign 20 good players at best I expect he will have maybe a 60/40 ratio of good to bad due to the sheer numbers of players he needs to sign. 
I think he will have us challenging the top of the championship but we will need to wait and see if it is enough to get us out of there.  

Dundee have invested. There is good premiership quality there. In the end they invested well. That was a good team that put us to the sword over two games. We are now playing catchup for next season. I think the reality of the situation is plain as day for every killie fan. I haven't heard one 'we' re going straight up' comment. For me last night was the death of the 28 year old Kilmarnock they I've known the whole of my adult life, top six finishes, an established Premier league team, pride of Ayrshire, double cup winners. When we were last in the lower leagues the financial chasm was in no way as big between the top league and the lower leagues. We will have to downsize to survive but it will take a lot of good decisions, luck and preparation to produce a team capable of getting back up. The worry is last night may be just the beginning. We thought this season was horrendous, I'm totally drained but next season could be worse. 

Question is in this rebuild does TW and Board go for a quick fix route , bringing in whole team of journeymen players used to championship football on short term contracts to battle us out of this league 

Or hopefully have the plan to build a team to get promotion but which also looks to the long term sustainability of our club ……..

The wage structure we can afford and length of contracts we can offer is going to important if TW is going to find the right players in such a short time 

15 minutes ago, Secret Squirrel said:

A good post sir, but the bottom point is the crucial one.

For years we have been hovering the drain of the premiership with only a few blips such as the Clarke era and Mixu being different.

The issues are clear to see, why? Because they are the same as we have been calling for years. Too much squad turnover each year, putting our eggs in the loan market for actual quality, appointing inexperienced managers to name a few. Like honestly if you looked at most regular posters histories over the year you would see that we have been saying the same things year after year and only getting away with it because other teams have been even more a shambles than us.

For me, Wright is the right man but we need to quantify what that means. No matter how much he tries he is not going to sign 20 good players at best I expect he will have maybe a 60/40 ratio of good to bad due to the sheer numbers of players he needs to sign. 
I think he will have us challenging the top of the championship but we will need to wait and see if it is enough to get us out of there.  

Good Post although I think we don't need 20 players. We need 11 good ones and hopefully supplement this with 5-6that can play a few positions or youth players

TW was correct in his post match interview. The players weren’t good enough or mentally strong enough. He didn’t say as much as he could but it looks like we didn’t get relegated due to a lack of resources. I think if TW wants to stay we have to give him the opportunity to rebuild. There is obviously a lot that has gone on behind the scenes. The fans have suspected this but TW’s interview confirms it. Time to learn from mistakes, rebuild and come back stronger and in a better position. 

47 minutes ago, skygod said:

Everything about the way Burke conducts himself, lives his life and offers himself as a mentor suggests he is prime management material.

He has his UEFA A licence, has been doing a course in football management at Napier University and is a director of a sports agency.

He has said how affectionate for the club he and his family have become. At least one of his sons is in the academy.

It would be criminal to allow him to slip away. 

Look what happened with our last inexperienced manager. Burke clearly is affectionate towards the club but he has no experience as a manager and I don’t think a complete rebuild in the championship is the time for him to earn his stripes in case we do a Falkirk.

19 minutes ago, DuncD said:

Look what happened with our last inexperienced manager. Burke clearly is affectionate towards the club but he has no experience as a manager and I don’t think a complete rebuild in the championship is the time for him to earn his stripes in case we do a Falkirk.

I was endorsing Steppskillie’s suggestion that Burke be groomed as the next manager.

Edited by skygod

Our budget over the years has been a bottom 6.Unless you have an exceptional manager and a bit of luck that’s exactly where you will end up with a 33% chance of going down or being involved in a play off.Experienced managers who have been round the block like Wright are still no guarantee that they will be a  success.Other teams manage with relatively inexperienced managers.Davidson and Goodwin had no SPL experience as a manager and have done well.If Wright doesn’t hit the ground running next season Burke might be the man we turn to. 

15 minutes ago, skygod said:

I was endorsing Steppskillie’s suggestion that Burke be groomed as the next manager.

I would love him to stay at club. I agree he could be a future manager however do you think he would learn from TW? I’m not sure if he’d want him or keep his own staff. 

Thankfully no big fish in the championship next year, might be a good thing but with every other team being much of a muchness then points going to be dropped everywhere with no one team running away with it, trouble is we'll be seen as a scalp or favourites in most our games & you know how we normally handle that pressure. 

we can do this

10 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

Our budget over the years has been a bottom 6.Unless you have an exceptional manager and a bit of luck that’s exactly where you will end up with a 33% chance of going down or being involved in a play off.Experienced managers who have been round the block like Wright are still no guarantee that they will be a  success.Other teams manage with relatively inexperienced managers.Davidson and Goodwin had no SPL experience as a manager and have done well.If Wright doesn’t hit the ground running next season Burke might be the man we turn to. 

We should also be looking at upscaling Craig Clark’s role within the Club. He runs the under 18 team which he has, imho, done extremely well with. Another we do not wish to lose if we are to start bringing youths through and giving them their chance in the lower division. His team recently cuffed Rangers 3-1 which is an excellent achievement given their resources. Now is the time to restructure and use under-utilised talent.

Edited by tanerba'Tam