The Pitch

Keep the plastic or punt it  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Do we keep the synthetic surface or get rid?

Saw Stephen McGowan and a few others talking about the possibility of a vote among Premiership teams to ban synthetic surfaces now that the 11-1 needed would be achievable.

I truly wonder now that we're down, whether the ongoing costs of being associated with Project Brave are worth it? Do we keep the plastic and train at RP or look for facilities elsewhere and get grass back. Probably too soon for this coming season but going forward..

It interesting the way the football fixture cards work these days, could any club really lift at pitch and return to grass in the close season, surely you would need to look at a ground share arrangement. 

I fear we are stuck with what we have now, for a long while.

Should never have gone down this route in first place. 

I would always generally support the return of decent grass but with dropping the league I wouldn’t waste our already limited funds on replacing the pitch.  Especially if it has potential revue boosting possibilities (rugby games, training, small concerts etc)

If we could afford it would prefer a decent grass pitch at some point, but cannot see anything happening till perhaps the current pitch was due to be replaced ….not sure when that is meant to be?

At the moment we need to have what funds we have put towards the playing side of things and keeping our club financially viable 

As said any such process to source , plan and install a suitable grass pitch would need to be put in place months in advance so work starts straight after a season ends ….

We can either spend money on ripping up an expensive investment, putting down grass and paying someone else for daily access to training facilities, taking money out of the club.

Or we can invest in a decent squad and back room staff to get this club back on a proper professional footing once again. 

I don’t give a hoot who the pitch offends or if people’s sensibilities are somehow upset by looking at something mildly different, so I know where I’d rather see us investing. 

If the Premiership try to drive this through they’ve an absolute cheek and it’ll show they’ve learned absolutely nothing from imposing 10,000-seaters on everyone a few years back. 

Although, to be fair, Scoob put it far better and far more succinctly a few posts up from here. 

Edited by Travis

3 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

If we could afford it would prefer a decent grass pitch at some point, but cannot see anything happening till perhaps the current pitch was due to be replaced ….not sure when that is meant to be?

At the moment we need to have what funds we have put towards the playing side of things and keeping our club financially viable 

As said any such process to source , plan and install a suitable grass pitch would need to be put in place months in advance so work starts straight after a season ends ….

Should also ask the league about playing all of our sectional league cup ties away from home, maybe the first 1 or two league games too. And for them to listen to us this time. 

1 minute ago, Travis said:

We can either spend money on ripping up an expensive investment, putting down grass and paying someone else for daily access to training facilities, taking money out of the club.

Or we can invest in a decent squad and back room staff to get this club back on a proper professional footing once again. 

I don’t give a hoot who the pitch offends or if people’s sensibilities are somehow upset by looking at something mildly different, so I know where I’d rather see is investing. 

If the Premiership try to drive this through they’ve an absolute cheek and it’ll show they’ve learned absolutely nothing from imposing 10,000-seaters on everyone a few years back. 

Although, to be fair, Scoob put it far better and far more succinctly a few posts up from here. 

Unless the sheep actually did something with their time, other than pocket the money, I reckon the voting rules are still 9/12 prem plus 75% of lower leagues. They'll get the first part, but I see them falling on the second. It's not two different things anymore, we're all one big happy SPFL family.

7 minutes ago, Travis said:

I don’t give a hoot who the pitch offends or if people’s sensibilities are somehow upset by looking at something mildly different, so I know where I’d rather see is investing. 

100% in agreement.  My only regret in the club installing an artificial pitch is having to listen to nearly a decade of repetitive and totally uninformed drivel on the subject, from the usual suspects on Sportsound to dickheads on twitter with union jacks in their username.

1 hour ago, Silent Bob said:

I find the obsession with artificial pitches in this country weird. So many comments about people glad that two artificial pitches went down. The pitch is fine unlike several others during the winter eg Ibrox, Easter Road. 

Totally agree. It’s become an absurd self-fulfilling grievance, mainly from hard-of-thinking Old Firm fans who don’t like other clubs challenging their duopoly in any way.

They could all exert energy and fury tackling bigotry, sectarianism, racism, lack of competition, lack of youth players, our skewed tv payments, our long-struggling national teams, improving the ‘pyramid’, kicking out ‘Colts’ nonsense, a system designed to make two teams richer etc.

But it’s much easier to bleat about a pitch that looks a bit different but makes teams more sustainable than actually change the real stuff.

Edited by Travis

At this stage we can’t afford it. If the rules are changed and we do get promoted then it’s something that will need to be implemented by the club. 

Is project brave still even a thing? I haven’t heard much about it anymore and with Malky leaving his role at the SFA I assumed it had been mothballed. 

I'd rather we played on a decent artificial surface than many of the grass pitches we play on over the winter months. I would imagine some of the pitches we play on next season will be pretty poor as Championship clubs will have less money to keep them maintained.

Would a vote not need to go to all member clubs of the SPFL.