Broadfoot offered deal

Killieboys

3 minutes ago, Cass316 said:

From what I've heard he's been offered a deal but told he won't be first choice. 

Heard similar. Thought at first it was a joke.

Wright proving for all his tough talk he doesn’t have a clue 

21 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Perhaps we could sign Boydie up to do ten minute cameos too. Or maybe we could put sentiment aside and ask is Burke still good enough to play 90 minutes for 30+ games a season or put pressure on the guy with the jersey to put in a performance every week? Will he still be able to perform if we are promoted back up? I’d say the answer to both questions is no. 

I think he can still do a job if managed correctly. He had a great start to the season and tailed away during it. He then found himself on the bench for a while and upon returning to the team started producing the early season form. Again he played pretty much every minute and the performances reflected that.

I would definitely look to keep him on a short term, reduced wage deal. He still has goals and assists in him, but will have to manage how much he plays. His professionalism would also be a major boost to the younger players that look as if they may get more of a chance next season.

2 hours ago, RAG said:

I think Burkes legs have gone as mentioned above.

You'd be favourites to win the Championship with Lafferty in the team.

I'd sign Lafferty at all costs and forget the rest.

Do we go with eggs in one basket or for a more balanced approach? 25 goals from Lafferty and we're pushing for promotion, bad injury early in the season we could be doing a Partick if we've over-spent on his wages.

Glad I'm not making these decisions. 

Just now, BigRonFaeTheQueenVic said:

Do we go with eggs in one basket or for a more balanced approach? 25 goals from Lafferty and we're pushing for promotion, bad injury early in the season we could be doing a Partick if we've over-spent on his wages.

Don't mention eggs in a Broadfoot topic...

1 minute ago, chubbs said:

Bring Burke in off the wing and play him in the middle behind a striker.  He'd not be doing as much running but still be in a position to have a great deal of influence in a game.  

I don't think that would work out.

Did we not try that before and Burke himself said he didn't like playing there?

I think it's time for Kirk Broadfoot to move on, we got a couple of good seasons out of him and now he's a few years older and he is one of many players that should be moving on. It's been a bad couple of seasons and a number of players didn't step up to the plate. We need reliable goalkeepers and a defence that doesn't make stupid mistakes on a regular basis. Make it hard for teams to score against us and hope to hang on to Kyle Lafferty.

38 minutes ago, BigRonFaeTheQueenVic said:

If the budget is the same for other players and Lafferty accepts what he was on, isn't really eggs in one basket.

On his SPL form, he'd get 25+ in the Championship easily.  Until he signs for someone else, we can but hope.

If we want to win the league and don't sign Lafferty, we need to find someone else to stick in 20+ a season.

The thing with Broadfoot in my opinion is that he's likely now a fairly middle of the road Championship defender.  He won't be the worst centre back in that position next season in that league.

However sometimes as a manager you need to recognise a stench and know how to fix it.  There will always be a stigma over Broadfoot here now stemming for his ludicrous reaction to Alessio and then being brought back when player power won the day.  That's a cloud we just don't need hanging over our club anymore - we need a clean break from those involved with that scenario and that's why he shouldn't be offered a contract in my opinion.

Big test of Wright's man management here to recognise the feeling and fix it rather than fuel the fire and still have the Broadfoot cloud hanging over us next season when we had the chance for a fresh start.

2 minutes ago, Killie_Damo said:

The thing with Broadfoot in my opinion is that he's likely now a fairly middle of the road Championship defender.  He won't be the worst centre back in that position next season in that league.

However sometimes as a manager you need to recognise a stench and know how to fix it.  There will always be a stigma over Broadfoot here now stemming for his ludicrous reaction to Alessio and then being brought back when player power won the day.  That's a cloud we just don't need hanging over our club anymore - we need a clean break from those involved with that scenario and that's why he shouldn't be offered a contract in my opinion.

Big test of Wright's man management here to recognise the feeling and fix it rather than fuel the fire and still have the Broadfoot cloud hanging over us next season when we had the chance for a fresh start.

100%

Now that a lot of the heat is out the debate, as much as I don't want to see Broadfoot back on the pitch in a Killie shirt, several managers have now commented on his presence and positive attitude in the dressing room (Alessio aside).

He has that never-say-die winners attitude, he's competitive and could drive the other (first choice) CBs on to perform. He also knows the dirty side of the game which youngsters would do well to learn (remember Steve Clarke's first game in charge at Ibrox).

If TW thinks that KB is going to help (as a backup), then I'll trust his judgement on that.

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

At the end of the day, It’s all about opinions. Mine is that even with good players, time eventually catches up with them. 

We’re going to be seen as a scalp in the championship. Teams are going to be bursting a gut to beat us. We cannot afford to “manage” players through games, we cannot afford passengers. We need a unit capable of out working our opponents offensively and defensively. We need a younger more mobile team who’re ready for the challenge in the coming season and ready to make the step up the next. 

I agree on the part we need a younger more mobile team. However, we need some experienced players there to learn from and help them along IMO.

Burke as a player coach would be good and I definitely think he still has more than enough to do well in the Championship. It all depends how much he’s willing to pay for though as you’d imagine he’d need to accept a much lower salary. 

2 hours ago, Mogwai said:

Now that a lot of the heat is out the debate, as much as I don't want to see Broadfoot back on the pitch in a Killie shirt, several managers have now commented on his presence and positive attitude in the dressing room (Alessio aside).

He has that never-say-die winners attitude, he's competitive and could drive the other (first choice) CBs on to perform. He also knows the dirty side of the game which youngsters would do well to learn (remember Steve Clarke's first game in charge at Ibrox).

If TW thinks that KB is going to help (as a backup), then I'll trust his judgement on that.

Agree with you entirely. 

By all accounts he's the "model pro" and looks after himself well. Added to everything in your post, if he was offered a role as a squad player and not a guaranteed start every week, I'd be happy for him to sign for another season.