Kenny Alexander Investment

Sp3ckyh0td0g81

I have it on very good authority that, Kenny Alexander had a meeting set up with Billy Bowie through Alan McLeish of QTS about investing in the club, and Bowie has knocked him back.  I dont have the finer details of what the investment looked like etc, but the meeting 100% happened and he was knocked back. 

Have to ask yourself why would they be knocking back investment just as we are relegated ? 

I know there will be the usual "tell us your source or its sh**e", but i cant share that detail as it would have implications professionally for myself and the person who contacted me.

9 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

...I dont have the finer details of what the investment looked like etc...

Well what's the point then? Without knowing the volume of proposed investment, the extent to which the club needs it, and the conditions that were attached to it then none of us have any way of assessing how attractive an offer it was.

43 minutes ago, chubbs said:

Bowie has previously said he was happy with the size of the board.

Why would anyone hand over a huge chunk of cash and not want a seat on the board?

Due diligence or Bowie's play thing? 

Would be good to confirm that this is true and get more details. 

Edited by funky monkey

30 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

I have it on very good authority that, Kenny Alexander had a meeting set up with Billy Bowie through Alan McLeish of QTS about investing in the club, and Bowie has knocked him back.  I dont have the finer details of what the investment looked like etc, but the meeting 100% happened and he was knocked back. 

Have to ask yourself why would they be knocking back investment just as we are relegated ? 

I know there will be the usual "tell us your source or its sh**e", but i cant share that detail as it would have implications professionally for myself and the person who contacted me.

I think you are referring to a meeting prior to the debt restructure 4 or 5 years? ago.  So yes this happened. And yes his offer was rejected.

i would be surprised ( but pleased) if Kenny was still interested.

This Kenny Alexander?

The former CEO of bookmaking giant Ladbrokes gambled with the law when he made off with a delivery driver’s car from outside a Perth kebab house after a drunken night out in the city centre.

Recently-retired Kenny Alexander, who as boss of Britain’s biggest betting firm commanded a net worth of around £23 million, accelerated away from the Marmaris takeaway in South Methven Street when the driver stepped inside to pick up an order.

Perth Sheriff Court heard the 52-year-old was seized by a “moment of madness” after he and his drinking buddy were refused entry to a taxi home.

When the driver caught up with him and told him police were on their way, Alexander took to his heels and ran off through the city centre.

Officers were later dispatched to the businessman’s £750,000 home in Brompton Terrace and found him sitting outside.

“It’s me you’re looking for,” he told officers

Guilty plea

Alexander, who retired as chief executive of Ladbrokes and Coral owner GVC Holdings in July last year, appeared in the dock on Friday and admitted taking and driving away a red Honda hatchback without the owner’s consent in May, 2021.

He further admitted a charge of drinking driving, with a recording of 37 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of breath (the legal limit being 22 mg).

Alexander also pled guilty to a charge of driving without insurance.

Fiscal depute Matthew Kerr said Alexander and his friend had been drinking in a Perth bar from about 7pm that evening.

“By 10pm, they decided to move on to order something to eat,” he said.

“After they ordered their food, staff were asked to order a taxi but the men were told there were no taxis available.”

The pair stepped outside the kebab house when a delivery car pulled up.

‘The sound of car wheels spinning’

“The driver left his car parked on the street, with the keys inside,” said Mr Kerr.

“He observed the accused standing outside the shop as he went inside with the intention of collecting an order.”

Mr Kerr said: “Once inside, the driver heard the sound of car wheels spinning.

“He exited, and saw the accused driving away.”

Shortly afterwards, the car returned to the shop with Alexander in the driver’s seat.

“The accused started to exit and was told that the police had been contacted,” said Mr Kerr.

“He then ran off in the direction of the high street.”

‘Mortified’

Solicitor John McLaughlin said his client, a married father-of-two, was “mortified by what has happened.”

He said: “When the delivery driver went inside the shop, a moment of madness occurred.

“He ended up just driving around the corner. Mr Alexander cannot explain what was going through his mind at the time.”

Mr McLaughlin told the court Alexander was now officially retired.

Sheriff Pino Di Emidio told Alexander: “You appear before the court as a man of relatively mature years, and someone with a hitherto impeccable character.”

Alexander, who has four racehorses, was fined £1,000. He was banned from driving for a year.

Betting big-shot

Alexander announced his retirement after 13 years at the helm of Ladbrokes and GVC Holdings.

He said at the time: “I have spent the last four months working from home and reflecting on my future plans, and this feels like the right moment.”

Paying tribute, chairman Barry Gibson said: “Kenny has built a remarkable global business, and has achieved more in the past 13 years that most people manage in a lifetime.”

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/2245819/former-ladbrokes-boss-took-delivery-car-from-perth-kebab-shop-during-moment-of-madness/

Sounds like a good night out!

Tittle tattle nonsense. 

Stop trying to make Bowie out to be something he's not. 
He got involved with Killie as a fan and to put something back into the community - he clearly never got involved to make a quick buck. 

He's made many costly mistakes which he himself has admitted but I don't believe there is any hidden agenda here. 

Also worth noting that he's also done a lot of good for the club.

18 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Tittle tattle nonsense. 

He got involved with Killie as a fan and to put something back into the community - he clearly never got involved to make a quick buck. 

He's made many costly mistakes which he himself has admitted but I don't believe there is any hidden agenda here. 

Absolutely. The questions are around about the size of the board, potential investment and what it takes to run a professional football club beyond investment. 

Why is Bowie happy with the size of the board, when to me, we could be doing with another couple of bodies on board to help out. 

It's reasonable to expect that following this week's failure, we ask questions of the board. 

Whilst it was good to see them face the fans yesterday, my impression was that they need help. Perhaps it's a wee bit early to seek answers when everything is still so raw. However, answers we seek, including analysing what went wrong, how we are going to change that and what the board's vision or 5 year plan is for the club. 

Edited by funky monkey

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

Well what's the point then? Without knowing the volume of proposed investment, the extent to which the club needs it, and the conditions that were attached to it then none of us have any way of assessing how attractive an offer it was.

He didn’t say the club should have accepted it, he was only saying an offer had been made which is contrary to the usual ‘nobody wants to invest’ line we get all the time. 
Since there is no obligation on Bowie to go public on offers like this and fans also simply refuse to ever believe there have been discussions of this nature then it’s going to be pretty simple to continue with the ‘nobody’s interested’ line. 

Edited by historyman

1 minute ago, historyman said:

He didn’t say the club should have accepted it, he was only saying an offer had been made which is contrary to the usual ‘nobody wants to invest’ line we get all the time. 
Since there is no obligation on Bowie to go public on offers like this and fans also simply refuse to ever believe there have been discussions of this nature then it’s going to be pretty simple to continue with the ‘nobody’s interested’ line. 

I'm responding to the line below.  I don't believe that nobody's interested.

1 hour ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

58 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Tittle tattle nonsense. 

There's as much evidence for Bowie being a fitba fan as there is for Bowie investing millions of pounds into the club with no reward.

As I understand it, Bowie refused to meet with Alexander.  On the Trust Q&A earlier in the year the board were asked the question of new investment.  Bowie said that he was always having conversations with sponsors/local businesses to see if they could do more and help out.  Clearly this was one investment conversation Bowie did not want to have.  One wonders why?  Possibly not wanting Alexander on board due to a personality clash or not wanting to dilute his shareholding as it would impact his future plans for the club (e.g. to pass down to his sons..).  Bowie needs taken to task on this given the financial impact of covid and relegation.

9 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

As I understand it, Bowie refused to meet with Alexander.  On the Trust Q&A earlier in the year the board were asked the question of new investment.  Bowie said that he was always having conversations with sponsors/local businesses to see if they could do more and help out.  Clearly this was one investment conversation Bowie did not want to have.  One wonders why?  Possibly not wanting Alexander on board due to a personality clash or not wanting to dilute his shareholding as it would impact his future plans for the club (e.g. to pass down to his sons..).  Bowie needs taken to task on this given the financial impact of covid and relegation.

Absolutely, but he doesn’t seem to be. Having total control in the hands of one person is never a good thing as we have seen before. What I don’t understand is we quite rightly railed against that when it was MJ but is seems to be accepted with Bowie despite the fact that this has resulted in a weak board, poor decision making from someone with no football knowledge, relegation and a total acceptance of the view that he puts lots of money into the club despite the fact that this doesn’t ever seem to be made clear. 
The fact is he has never brought on board any other investor and you have to ask yourself why. We have been relegated with him at the helm yet fans seem to believe there is no alternative and are happy to continue with the status quo. 

5 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Bowie needs taken to task on this given the financial impact of covid and relegation.

I’m going to suggest Bowie has a much clearer picture of the finances re covid and relegation than anyone on here. If in his judgment, this investment (if it was even proposed), wasn’t in the clubs best interests, we’re just going to have to trust him. 

Kenny Alexander has had plenty of opportunities to invest in the past, it has never come to anything. Whether that’s been down to the wrong time, betting regulations or personality clashes, the talks never come to anything. 

Did you ever find out who the guy in the balcony was btw @MarkyMark?

It seems to me obvious that the board could do with some help. This does not need to be in the form of investment just simply an experienced individual or two who can assist in the running of a football club. 

In terms of BB looking to pass on his investment to his son I wonder what age his eldest son is? I'm not looking to pry into the life of BB and his family just simply wondering if he will pass on his investment in 2 years or perhaps 10 years? Of course,as fans, we would all love a significant share of our football club I would question if it really is the best legacy a parent can leave their children?  

20 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I’m going to suggest Bowie has a much clearer picture of the finances re covid and relegation than anyone on here. If in his judgment, this investment (if it was even proposed), wasn’t in the clubs best interests, we’re just going to have to trust him. 

Kenny Alexander has had plenty of opportunities to invest in the past, it has never come to anything. Whether that’s been down to the wrong time, betting regulations or personality clashes, the talks never come to anything. 

Did you ever find out who the guy in the balcony was btw @MarkyMark?

He is undoubtedly the man with the numbers but don’t you find it strange that a few weeks ago the club were talking about £1m loans and now the headline news is that we are retaining the current player budget despite relegation? That really seems to paint two very different pictures about the financial position of the club. 
And if his main objective is to leave the club to his son then that may not mean that the decisions he takes will be in the best interests of the club. 

Edited by historyman

1 minute ago, historyman said:

He is undoubtedly the man with the numbers but don’t you find it strange that a few weeks ago the club were talking about £1m loans and now the headline news is that we are retaining the current player budget despite relegation? That really seems to paint two very different pictures about the financial position of the club. 

Did they not get the Loan then? I assumed this was why the budget was unchanged…