Hopes for the Championship

James K Polk

2 minutes ago, gjkillie007 said:

Out of interest (and I'm not advocating for a prolonged stay in the Championship) but what's the difference between championship mediocrity and premiership mediocrity?

Around eight places and a few hundred thousand pounds I would think. Please tell me this wasn’t a serious question btw. 

15 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I can’t believe so many fans are willing to accept championship mediocrity. Let’s be clear, anything other than winning the league is unacceptable. We have the biggest budget and the highest paid manager, it’s time to repay that investment. 

I don’t care if TW, Fowler and whoever draws up the paperwork and signs the cheques, don’t get a single day’s holiday before the new season, it is their responsibility to put that winning team together. Get the bulk of it signed up ASAP. Make sure they have the quality and mentality to play under the pressure of being favourites. Make sure we have enough pace and physicality to deal with the type of players we’re going to be facing. Get a real preseason arranged. Stamp down on cliques and make sure we’re all pulling in the same direction. Let’s get this done and back to where we belong and make sure we’ve learnt a lesson so we’re never in this position again. 

Agree 100%. We need to forget the excuse mentality. Nothing but success is acceptable. 

This thread is for hopes for the season ahead so nothing wrong in hoping we do well. Reality can come later if it must. To misquote a wise individual "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their supporters."

Another thing I’m hoping for the team to have clear systems and style of playing the game, one that the whole staff stand behind and that excites us supporters.

3 hours ago, DAVE_T said:

retaining our budget means not a lot and all you have to do is look at the likes of Rangers and their budget its the players and their performance and gel that's the important thing.

TW has a good track record in the Premiership but what about the lower leagues totally different, I'm not saying he will not manage, i think he could do well but totally different style of play as we saw against Dundee, we will be a lot of teams big team they want to win against / kick against and show how the real leagues are played so to speak 

Yes, the £1.5m first team wage bill I thought looked, historically, a bit low  (i thought it ranged between £1.8m and £2.4m in the MJ years, full wage bill including hotel staff was normally around £3.5m in those days according to annual reports) but I could be wrong , considering it was apparently the SPLs' 6th largest this season. It may not be enough if stories of a Dunfermline financial resurgence are true though.

next season should absolutely be a short visit to the Championship, remind the unwashed down the road who the one team in Ayrshire is, add a trophy to the cabinet, scalp some prem teams in the cups and boss it.  All while enjoying the novelty of some different away grounds and no ugly sisters.  I think the average absence for relegated teams is about 3-4 seasons, but on 10 occasions since '94 the relegated team has been promoted straight away.  

Let's make that happen!  KTID

My hope for the championship is the club putting together a team capable at coming up at the first time of asking. The expectation should be that we try to come up as champions, preferably not leaving it to the final day or anything like that.

My other hope is that the bridges burned between the club and it's supporters are mended and we can start to move forward together as a cohesive unit.

4 hours ago, Confidio said:

Yes, the £1.5m first team wage bill I thought looked, historically, a bit low  (i thought it ranged between £1.8m and £2.4m in the MJ years, full wage bill including hotel staff was normally around £3.5m in those days according to annual reports) but I could be wrong , considering it was apparently the SPLs' 6th largest this season. It may not be enough if stories of a Dunfermline financial resurgence are true though.

Might have been inflated by including MJ's own salary.

9 hours ago, Confidio said:

I'm with Alan, the three of them are terrible. Leanne at Morton v Airdrie last week said prematch "I'd rather be in the Airdrie dressing room." Morton were up 1-0 from 1st leg and Robbie Muirhead cruised them to a comfortable win (inc a fab volley). 

Big Mans got a point.

Apart from way back in the 19th Century I can’t see any record of Killie gaining promotion by winning the league below the top league. Automatic promotion would depend on us winning the Championship so would that be the first time we have won a lower league since 1899 if we win it ?

18 minutes ago, Kfcinlancashire said:

Might have been inflated by including MJ's own salary.

£65k some years, nothing others. Bargain considering we now pay about £250k for everything he used to do. He might be technically our most accomplished director ever (though I don't know the 60s Board set up). 2002-2017 SPL status (plus 2017-19 as 40% owner), 2 League Cup Finals (with 1 win) while taking on the monumental task of removing £13.5m debt. I understand he approached SSC about Killie job a few years before he eventually took it. 300 NAPMers won't agree but the vast majority of Killie fans appreciate his resolve and determination against mighty odds.

54 minutes ago, Confidio said:

£65k some years, nothing others. Bargain considering we now pay about £250k for everything he used to do. He might be technically our most accomplished director ever (though I don't know the 60s Board set up). 2002-2017 SPL status (plus 2017-19 as 40% owner), 2 League Cup Finals (with 1 win) while taking on the monumental task of removing £13.5m debt. I understand he approached SSC about Killie job a few years before he eventually took it. 300 NAPMers won't agree but the vast majority of Killie fans appreciate his resolve and determination against mighty odds.

All i can say he never got us Relegated and cleared the debt not like the present custodians.

3 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Apart from way back in the 19th Century I can’t see any record of Killie gaining promotion by winning the league below the top league. Automatic promotion would depend on us winning the Championship so would that be the first time we have won a lower league since 1899 if we win it ?

Correct. Even when we came up from Division 2 in 1990 we were 2nd.

7 promotions in a row, all as runners up. 

Records are there to be broken though :hurrah:

4 hours ago, Confidio said:

Brave statement. Grounded with fact. Applaud perspective.Not exactly aligned with my entire view but good to see independent thinking.

10 hours ago, Confidio said:

I’ve given you a red dot for this as it’s well off topic for this thread, if you want to discuss MJs legacy and performance take it elsewhere