From Third Place to Relegation in 735 days.

Allan

1 hour ago, EKX16 said:

Really scary how quickly we fell apart. The warning signs were all there and I kept hoping that we would turn the corner and kick on. 28 years in the top league with great memories I'll never forget.

Tragically self inflicted and could have been avoided but for the gross incompentence  by the the custodians of our great club.

There are some really apalling errors in there. Starting with not having somebody lined up to replace Clarke on the day he walked out the building. That was 100% inexcusable in any business or enterprise. We could see the train comming and ignored it untill it hit us.

The Alessio apointment was just wrong on so many levels it is difficult to know where to start. 

The Dyer appointment and the support he received from the board is beyond comprehension.

Wright did come in too late to be fair but I still found his inability to patch something, anything at all up difficult to understand. And based on that I am left a bit concerned about his ability to lead us forward. But BB has placed his bets so we will just have to let the wheel spin.

What really, really galls me at the end of all this is that just 3 more points would have seen us safe, or even a draw at Dingwall.

Still it all starts out again in ernest at the end of july.

The fall from grace is really hard for us to comprehend so many reasons for it and warning signs after the heady days of SC to have it avoided if only somebody running our club had zagged to the left instead of zigging to the right.

The foundations were there to install a better class of manager then and surely we must have been seen as an interesting project by much better than the one appointed failures at board level on this but the biggest failings this season were by the players on the pitch to many poor performances and dropped points cost us in the run up to the last 2 shambolic efforts in the play offs so sad it came to this!

The seem to have all their eggs in the TW basket now. 

If we get relegated this season how does thati impct on BBs hospitataity deals? 

I have no reason whatever, nor has the current  board, to think TW has any more clue than AA or AD what he id doing.

I invite anybody at all to point to any material reason for optimism.

What has anybody done to stop the rot?

On 5/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, gdevoy said:

There are some really apalling errors in there. Starting with not having somebody lined up to replace Clarke on the day he walked out the building. That was 100% inexcusable in any business or enterprise. We could see the train comming and ignored it untill it hit us.

The Alessio apointment was just wrong on so many levels it is difficult to know where to start. 

The Dyer appointment and the support he received from the board is beyond comprehension.

Wright did come in too late to be fair but I still found his inability to patch something, anything at all up difficult to understand. And based on that I am left a bit concerned about his ability to lead us forward. But BB has placed his bets so we will just have to let the wheel spin.

What really, really galls me at the end of all this is that just 3 more points would have seen us safe, or even a draw at Dingwall.

Still it all starts out again in ernest at the end of july.

I think these are valid points to be fair 

What is so sad is this didn't need to happen. From the moment AA was sacked, the warning signs have been there. But we chose to ignore them.

Instead we let the situation escalate until the moment we sacked Dyer. By that point survival was a long shot.

We might still have got relegated had we made different decisions, but at least we would've gone down trying

I'm going to make a bold statement and say if this had been a normal season we wouldn't have been relegated. As bad as we have been we were doing fine until several members got covid. I for one think Gary Dicker must have long covid. I also believe the fans in the stadium would have made their feelings known and Dyer would have been away much earlier. Our legendary away support would have roared us on for a few more wins away from Rugby Park. Also we would have turned up in large numbers for the big games. Not saying we'd be top 6 but enough to stay up. Every team had to content with these issues but some teams coped better than others. Look at teams that traditionally do well at home, Liverpool and Celtic for example. 

All ifs and buts now! 

12 hours ago, gdevoy said:

If we get relegated this season how does thati impct on BBs hospitataity deals? 

I have no reason whatever, nor has the current  board, to think TW has any more clue than AA or AD what he id doing.

I invite anybody at all to point to any material reason for optimism.

Give it a rest eh? You’re making McLean seem like a happy clapper these days with your posts. 

In answer to your question, I’d point to a guy who had St Johnstone (a team with less fans, less budget and less appeal than Killie) in the top six every season, in Europe four times and won them a cup. He left and the groundwork he laid and players he signed allowed them to do a cup double this year. I’d say he’s the best candidate in the whole of Scottish football just now to get us out this mess and bring long term lasting stability. 

Clarke, for all his wonderful achievements, was only interested in the short-term. No youths breaking into the team, reliant on loan players, squad age increasing. Tommy Wright would have been the ideal candidate once Clarke had left to be honest, but sadly we as fans (myself included) believed we were too good for a Tommy Wright appointment and we wanted the Poyets or the Di Matteo statement signing. 

This chat about relegation from Championship too is tedious. We’ve a better chance with the manager and budget to go up as champions rather than finish 9th and 10th. Be more positive about the club and manager because we are all hurting the now and the negativity isn’t doing anyone any favours mate. 

3 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

I'm going to make a bold statement and say if this had been a normal season we wouldn't have been relegated. As bad as we have been we were doing fine until several members got covid. I for one think Gary Dicker must have long covid. I also believe the fans in the stadium would have made their feelings known and Dyer would have been away much earlier. Our legendary away support would have roared us on for a few more wins away from Rugby Park. Also we would have turned up in large numbers for the big games. Not saying we'd be top 6 but enough to stay up. Every team had to content with these issues but some teams coped better than others. Look at teams that traditionally do well at home, Liverpool and Celtic for example. 

All ifs and buts now! 

Yep I've thought that too, we have missed the fans more than other teams. Our away record being the worst in the league when played behind closed doors is telling.

10 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Give it a rest eh? You’re making McLean seem like a happy clapper these days with your posts. 

In answer to your question, I’d point to a guy who had St Johnstone (a team with less fans, less budget and less appeal than Killie) in the top six every season, in Europe four times and won them a cup. He left and the groundwork he laid and players he signed allowed them to do a cup double this year. I’d say he’s the best candidate in the whole of Scottish football just now to get us out this mess and bring long term lasting stability. 

Clarke, for all his wonderful achievements, was only interested in the short-term. No youths breaking into the team, reliant on loan players, squad age increasing. Tommy Wright would have been the ideal candidate once Clarke had left to be honest, but sadly we as fans (myself included) believed we were too good for a Tommy Wright appointment and we wanted the Poyets or the Di Matteo statement signing. 

This chat about relegation from Championship too is tedious. We’ve a better chance with the manager and budget to go up as champions rather than finish 9th and 10th. Be more positive about the club and manager because we are all hurting the now and the negativity isn’t doing anyone any favours mate. 

Good point clarke was exceptional  for us was only short term with no long term plans in place and we did get above ourselves by taking the risk of a foreign manager. if TW had been available we should  have went for some one similar  with long term plans for the club most fans would have been realistic  if we had finished top six not relegated as we ended up.

Reminiscing aside, the only reason to look back at the past 4 years is to learn from them. Pointing fingers and apportioning blame is wasting time we don't have as the truth is never as black and white as some would hope. 

I'm hopeful that Tommy Wright can bring us success. I see it as being a bit like when Mixu arrived and was given the chance to build a squad from scratch.

Wright is doing the job that needed to be done as soon as SSC left. He's dismantled that team and can build a team to suit his preferred tactics, rather than the other way around.

Ok, Mixu had Eremenko, but Wright (hopefully) has Lafferty. 

Edited by Mogwai

Why the board are still getting such an easy time beats me. Maybe an cosy relationship between the Uber fans and the board. The trust and the board. I’m surprised they are not being held more to account on this forum. Fans being distracted by half truths about senior players and letting gross incompetence in the running of the club pass with only minor comment. This board should be out on its arse. It was obviously failing 18 months ago and yet they been allowed to drag us down into the championship. You all have accepted mediocrity and you are still accepting it and it’s going to get worse without a revolution.

13 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Why the board are still getting such an easy time beats me. Maybe an cosy relationship between the Uber fans and the board. The trust and the board. I’m surprised they are not being held more to account on this forum. Fans being distracted by half truths about senior players and letting gross incompetence in the running of the club pass with only minor comment. This board should be out on its arse. It was obviously failing 18 months ago and yet they been allowed to drag us down into the championship. You all have accepted mediocrity and you are still accepting it and it’s going to get worse without a revolution.

This right here from the person sticking up for Broadfoot who’s been absolutely horrific this season. Have a day off ffs. 

My thoughts are that we were relegated by two key decisions. Yes there are many other ifs and buts and they have contributed one way or the other but the two things in my opinion had significant impact:

1. Sacking AA. The opportunity to show stronger leadership and squash the 'player power' revolt was missed. Who knows if given more time? Not me, AA might have done well/ we might have had another manager. Either way a standard would have been set.

We wouldn't have had KB back either. 

2. The board were stuck when the racist letter surfaced before AD was sacked. They had to, and rightly so, condemn such ignorance (the letter) that sacking AD was not an option. The weeks and months of reprieve only increased the challenge any new manager would face. 

So two board decisions, regarding club management, opportunities to provide guidance and direction that could have been better. Im not in a position to really judge motivations or question suitability etc they may get a lot more right that wrong but I feel these are the two decisions that I would redo that might have prolonged our stay. 

They are gone and its to the future we must look, and hope that good decisions are made and that we can have a team to cheer hopefully back to the top division. 

6 minutes ago, Real Gone Kid said:

My thoughts are that we were relegated by two key decisions. Yes there are many other ifs and buts and they have contributed one way or the other but the two things in my opinion had significant impact:

1. Sacking AA. The opportunity to show stronger leadership and squash the 'player power' revolt was missed. Who knows if given more time? Not me, AA might have done well/ we might have had another manager. Either way a standard would have been set.

We wouldn't have had KB back either. 

2. The board were stuck when the racist letter surfaced before AD was sacked. They had to, and rightly so, condemn such ignorance (the letter) that sacking AD was not an option. The weeks and months of reprieve only increased the challenge any new manager would face. 

So two board decisions, regarding club management, opportunities to provide guidance and direction that could have been better. Im not in a position to really judge motivations or question suitability etc they may get a lot more right that wrong but I feel these are the two decisions that I would redo that might have prolonged our stay. 

They are gone and its to the future we must look, and hope that good decisions are made and that we can have a team to cheer hopefully back to the top division. 

You are missing about 12months where there was next to no justification for Dyer to be manager. He flopped in the immediate aftermath of AA departure. We were then spiralling downwards when he was given the job until the end of the season. The board then made the decision despite the evidence to give him the job permanently.