Boyd Column

Killiecal

2 minutes ago, Last Atari Moron said:

This the same Kris Boyd that disappeared immediately after the game when we finished 3rd ?  

I raised that point a while back and think someone explained he had a charity event to attend in Glasgow so if true it wasn’t just petulance. 

Love Boyd for the goals he scored for us but don’t love his media work. 

He picks a narrative and sticks with it regardless of the facts or situation. He decided years ago Alessio wouldn’t work, and so did many of the players. 
I’m not saying Alessio was definitely the right appointment but the worst thing was that players didn’t seem open to learning new methods from a coach who obviously was highly skilled from the level he’d worked at. 

Yes maybe if the whole team “cared” as much as Dicker we might have fared better but we wouldn’t have fared better if the whole team put performances in like him and Broadfoot did. The two worst performances by far especially in the away leg. 

A new chapter with a new group of players is welcome, time for a new group to write some history and to move on from the Clarke era 

Well it seems more than just some of our players had no time for Alessio if Boyd is to be believed.Surely the board should have asked about before he was appointed.Failing to sign a decent keeper on a long term contract since McDonald left went a long way to relegating us.The managers and Fowler are to blame for that 

2 hours ago, Killiecal said:

Don't shoot the messenger...

NO LAFFING MATTER 

Kilmarnock might’ve stayed up if they had more like Gary Dicker – Kyle Lafferty ‘not in same breath’, says Kris Boyd

THERE was only one direction Kilmarnock could head after Steve Clarke led them to the dizzy heights of third spot two seasons ago.

But I never imagined their fall would be so spectacular and quite so rapid.

To be relegated to the Championship just 24 months after qualifying for Europe suggests mistakes of the highest order at every level of a club which is so close to my heart.

I spent 20 years at Rugby Park — more than half my life — and it hurt like hell to see their tame surrender in the play-offs to Dundee.

I was in more pain than most of the players and that pretty much sums up why they have dropped out the top flight for the first time in almost three decades.

Killie were never going to maintain being best of the rest behind the Old Firm when you have Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts in the equation.

But I was convinced the days of going from season to season with journeymen players was a thing of the past.

I thought this was the start of a bright new future in Ayrshire. How wrong was I?

I’m still scratching my head at Killie’s calamitous collapse.

Tommy Wright should have done better, but the problems started long before he inherited the hotseat in February.

The managerial appointments and diabolical recruitment beforehand did for him.

If you hand out short-term contracts to players who bounce from club to club it catches up with you.

It means players come and go and there is no connection to the club. That is a recipe for disaster.

Wright cleared the decks on Tuesday although on Monday night many of them left with black bags, having already emptied their lockers.

A total of 14 were binned but it could have been so many more.

Youssouf Mulumbu went back to France before the play-off final but he’s been posted missing since Clarke left.

It baffled me he was brought back for a second time, never mind a third.

But it will be okay because he spoke about his love for the fans.

Which brings me to supporters turning up outside Rugby Park after Monday night’s game to demonstrate.

It sums up the mentality of some that Kyle Lafferty was lauded as a hero for addressing the fans afterwards and guys like Gary Dicker and Kirk Broadfoot were getting slated on social media.

I have spent longer in the bath than big Kyle has been at the club, so don’t turn round and say he is the only one that gets it.

Yes, he has scored a few goals since coming in near the end of the season but where did he disappear to for those last three games?

You couldn’t mention him in the same breath as Dicker when it comes to my old club.

It was telling he was the only player Wright spoke about when he released 14 of them on Tuesday.

He is a fantastic person, a top player and a credit to himself and Kilmarnock.

If Killie had a few more Gary Dickers in their ranks then I would guarantee they would still be in the Premiership.

He has been away from his young family in Brighton for the past five years and sacrificed seeing his kids grow up.

Dicker was a terrific servant to the club, so people who don’t know what they are talking about should keep their own counsel.

Along with Broadfoot, he was pounded for slagging off Angelo Alessio — the root cause of so many problems.

I know for a fact what they said about the Italian was bang on the money.

Part of the reason I retired was I couldn’t bear to work under him after being told by people he had worked with and whom I respected in the game he was miles off it.

Alex Dyer was left to pick up the pieces but his signings were desperate.

Wright was left with a mountain to climb although he should have been able to collect more than 12 points from 11 games before losing two play-off ties.

John Hughes went to Ross County in a similar position and kept them up, so it could be done.

Wright has been promised a bumper budget to get Killie promoted and that would mean convincing the likes of Alan Power and Rory McKenzie to stay.

He also needs players who will be here for two or three years and can also do a job in the top flight.

What he doesn’t need are players just to get him out of the Championship.

Not coming straight back up would be a disaster and going down again would be catastrophic.

That shouldn’t happen if the recruitment is right but Partick Thistle thought that — and look what happened to them.

Spot on couldn’t agree more 

I don't always agree with Boyd but I would believe him over anyone on here who has no idea what really happened under AA.

People are rightly upset with relegation. To blame GD for all the failings, we as a club made is just wrong.. his performances dropped the last year +  but that can and does happen to players in mid 30's .. not necessarily his fault or lack of effort.

Not one player at the club or elsewhere has anything negative to say about him... but supporters who don't know facts just rumours .. slag him off.

SC left us for Scots job and we had nothing in place for signings to replace those who were leaving. Running the club with a short term outlook, meant we didn't fix our youth policy as well.

Our signing policy since then has been desperate... not one real success except Burke... we only got Lafferty after his foreign deal went sour. I agree with Boyd .. Lafferty did nothing in the last few games.. maybe just too many games after his break or he has another deal lined up so not risking injury.

Our last 4 managers rated  Gary and was made captain during that time... including TW and he would certainly not pick him each week because of a cliet... its not the school playground.

GD doesn't deserve the lynch mob from some of our supporters ... but it fits some peoples agenda based on rumour not facts.

GD did not fire AA... Billy did.. he can hide behind the players, have folk say he's not that knowledgeable on football, don't kid yourself it's his money and he made the call... 

1 hour ago, Bobby Street Roll said:

One of the main reasons we went down was theme quality of our keepers. Not getting someone else in January was criminal. Instead we brought in outfield players who hardly kicked a ball.

On the field, it was the main reason. 

Quite telling that nobody associated with the club has a good thing to say about alessio. At the same time, nothing but plaudits for Gary Dicker.

perhaps we as fans should listen to those involved and not make up fictional scenarios.

ultimately Bowie is culpable for this situation. He calls the shots. Appointing alessio, not firing dyer quick enough.

1 hour ago, ChrissyRoss said:

That article is embarrassing. 

Highlights just how toxic that dressing room was with senior pros like Broadfoot, Dicker and Boyd.

Highlights how Boyd clearly has a personal issue with Lafferty. To have a go at him like that is bizarre. 

Also highlights just how daft he is. Blaming a manager for all the ills of a club that had three transfer windows to fix things after he left.

The only thing he is right about is that player recruitment was absolutely toilet but I note he's not naming and shaming his wee pal Fowler the same way he's throwing Kyle under the bus.

Pathetic.

Absolute guess work.

Toxic dressing room yet 3rd in the league.

personal issue with lafferty? Evidence?

mates with Fowler? You sure about that.

21 minutes ago, KA9Killie said:

When a guy from Tarbolton uses the word "whom", it makes me suspicious.

? Disgraceful slur on the good people of Tarbolton.

These pieces are written by journalists...term used very loosely in some cases....who cobble something together after a chat with the name on the column. 

1 minute ago, drmurray said:

I don't always agree with Boyd but I would believe him over anyone on here who has no idea what really happened under AA.

People are rightly upset with relegation. To blame GD for all the failings, we as a club made is just wrong.. his performances dropped the last year +  but that can and does happen to players in mid 30's .. not necessarily his fault or lack of effort.

Not one player at the club or elsewhere has anything negative to say about him... but supporters who don't know facts just rumours .. slag him off.

SC left us for Scots job and we had nothing in place for signings to replace those who were leaving. Running the club with a short term outlook, meant we didn't fix our youth policy as well.

Our signing policy since then has been desperate... not one real success except Burke... we only got Lafferty after his foreign deal went sour. I agree with Boyd .. Lafferty did nothing in the last few games.. maybe just too many games after his break or he has another deal lined up so not risking injury.

Our last 4 managers rated  Gary and was made captain during that time... including TW and he would certainly not pick him each week because of a cliet... its not the school playground.

GD doesn't deserve the lynch mob from some of our supporters ... but it fits some peoples agenda based on rumour not facts.

GD did not fire AA... Billy did.. he can hide behind the players, have folk say he's not that knowledgeable on football, don't kid yourself it's his money and he made the call... 

Boyd doesn't know for sure either. He was gone by the time AA arrived. So, he'll know about as much as we do. In fact, I'd suggest some 'in the know' folk would definitely know more about that situation than Boyd.

Players aren't going to come out publicly and slate a team mate (although some did on the pitch to Rossi). Just say generic stuff. 

SC was short termism personified. Hence the reason we needed to bring in so many at once. Knew it wasn't going to be his problem any more. The board re-upped contracts in the interregnum. Board dropped the ball in May of 2019. Replacement should have been in place the end of the week Clarke packed his bags.

Correct on points re Lafferty. 

Boyd was club captain under Clarke. Smith was club captain under McCulloch. I believe Gary MacDonald was captain on field, at least, under Clark. Dicker got the on field job in Clarke's last season, because Boyd's playing time was limited. AA had him forced upon him by Boyd's retirement. 'Who is the captain?' would have been the first question. Dicker has been club captain since 2019/2020 season. We'll never know about the situation under Wright, who has publicly stated there were things going on that he won't talk about. You don't come in to a struggling team and lay down the law by hoofing the club captain. He holds lots of sway with his team mates. At the first no risk opportunity, he was hoofed. No contract offer, no 'deciding his future' hoofed.

GD's performances were piss poor this past 12-16 months. Wasn't up to snuff, and was probably here at least one season too long.

GD led the players straight onto the bus after the livi game. Not stopping for the usual post match debrief. GD as club captain would have led the players deputation to the board, to express their unhappiness in AA. And made it clear by virtue of 'downing tools' that if the board didn't get rid, the club would be in bother. Players hold all the cards these days. They sniffed blood in AA, and used it to take over the asylum.

17 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Didn’t he leave Carlisle under a bit of a cloud too?

I think he had a falling out with the manager, Keith Curle.

He and another player were fined over their refusal to do extra training sessions put on for those not in the first team.

Edited by skygod

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think he had a falling out with the manager, Keith Curle.

He and another player were fined over their refusal to do extra training sessions put on for those not in the first team.

Not quite the model pro Boyd makes him out to be then. 

By Boyd's standards I didn't think that was too bad an article. Some of the points are fair. Didn't read that as him having a go at Lafferty, more having a go at the fans for their treatment of Dicker and Broadfoot and I suppose if it was your mates and you had a newspaper column to defend them you'd do the same.

This Alessio thing is ancient history. I was watching Gary Neville on Youtube the other night explaining everything that went wrong at Valencia incl.his inability to communicate properly with the players due to the language barrier. Got to the stage where he says he was embarrassed to go to training as everything had to be fed through an interpreter and took 10 times as long as a normal conversation. He said it must have been an absolute nightmare for the players.

Reckon the whole fiasco was less to do with racism and dinosaurs refusing to embrace new methods and more to do with Alessio's inability to communicate properly and build a rapport with the team.

6 minutes ago, ChrissyRoss said:

End of the day we are all pissed off about being relegated.

The players need to accept they were s**te and the management of the club need to accept they absolutely f**ked it.

I think both parties seem to have accepted that.

We as fans perhaps need to move on. Most of the players are gone and tbh it is what it is.

Relegation is s**te but we deserved it. We have to own that and kick on next year and support the new lot of lads on the field.

You’re right, of course, but a period of self-analysis is inevitable.

The players will move on or stay and regroup, and the board will say that they have learned lessons and seek to move on as quickly as decently possible.

For us, the frustration is that we have seen events unfold and, in the main, called them out for the mistakes they were.

It’s no consolation to have been proved right but the evidence was clear as the narrative developed.

What we shouldn’t do is to bury the past without some satisfactory proof that the s**tshow which has gone down will not be repeated.

If the people who call the shots and pay the piper fail to take account of the supporters’ views they may not be forgiven so easily next time.

For a split second, I thought we were linked with a player called Boyd Column.

I'd much rather that, than read two pages of hand-wringing and finger pointing.

What's done is done.

We are where we are. 

Learn the lessons and let Tommy build a new team, just as we should have after SSC left.

After everything, I'm hopeful for the future. It feels a bit like when Mixu had the chance to do similar.