Burke

kfc_superteam

Was on Sportsound today saying he doesn't have anything to say. He's still considering his future. He says he has nothing to tell the Kilmarnock fans but he says with the decision you need to 'step back and take the emotion out of it'. 

To me that sounds like he'll take the better offer of a premiership offer like a St Mirren move. 

1 minute ago, kfc_superteam said:

Was on Sportsound today saying he doesn't have anything to say. He's still considering his future. He says he has nothing to tell the Kilmarnock fans but he says with the decision you need to 'step back and take the emotion out of it'. 

To me that sounds like he'll take the better offer of a premiership offer like a St Mirren move. 

I agree with you. That’s not the way you’d talk if you were confident you’d be bringing good news in the end.

Top top man. Listening to him on Sportsound. Bigging up the club, acknowledging the fact he was part of a team that got relegated. Still thinks he can play at high level. He’s genuinely torn and admits he’s a deep thinker and is working out what he wants to do for the best of the club and himself. Articulate, knowledgable and decent. Worth a listen.

If we were doing any talent or succession planning we’d have offered him a player coach role last year and been working with him to get his licenses. Key part of successful businesses, oddly enough of all the clubs in Scotland who seem to get it St Johnstone are the one judging by their last few appointments.

Sad thing about modern football is that it is ruthless on both sides. The club freed players and players decided to leave. In the end the only constant is the club and fans.players are motivated for playing for as big a club as they can. The only loyalty seems to from Rangers and Celtic fans who are players who  would do anything to Play for them. Sadly  being a smaller club we don't have any fans that are top players. They see clubs as a job, nothing more. The reality is next season will likely be Chris's last. I would like him to stay but we can't throw daft money at him.

Edited by kfc_superteam

I hope he stays as a coach and backup player, but if we took a step back and took the emotion out of our thinking -offering a 37/38 year old a significant wage during a promotion push is not the best use of resources. 

On this occasion it’s just unfortunate that he’s so likeable because it makes taking the tough decision so much harder. He’d be a great role model for the young players and has a wealth of knowledge/experience to pass on, but how much could we realistically expect him to contribute next season? Haven’t we signed a right winger anyway?

He would be a great quality of player to have around our club and leading by example next season even if only played in say 60% of the games , being a vital part of a championship league winning season would be a great end to his playing career 

Whilst would not blame him , It would be doubly an insult if he were to move on and play a vital role for another club next season 

As time goes on I'm convincing myself I'd rather Burke moved on. Slightly concerned that we get half way through the season and realise his legs have gone and we'd rather we had someone else. 

But - that's very much in a situation where we replace him with someone halfway decent, and I'm very aware of the fact that might not happen. The ideal would be someone young who is good in that position and ready to kick on if we get promoted, rather than starting again when Burke retires. 

Would be pleased if he stayed but wonder if the absolute restart is better for us? 

His body will be a year older than what it was capable of last season and given the quality of the squad he was up against, can’t see how he will get more game time with a eg St Mirren than he did with us. 

Sensible move would be to stay with us where he will play more minutes and end his playing career on a high helping us to promotion rather than spectating from the bench a division higher. 

Like others if he’s not 100% behind this challenge then it’s time to say goodbye. It might have been too many games in a short space of time but I thought his legs went in the league game vs St Mirren. Could be a major gamble to be reliant on him next season. 

He has been the standout for two seasons and because of that will be remembered in a different light than others for last seasons disaster.

In terms of coaching role. Is he right for it? He’s a top role model but would he be a good coach. If we were to offer him one then it’s where TW thinks he fits. We cocked up forcing staff on Alessio and Dyer. If Wright doesn’t think Burke is first team coach material then he’s starting at the bottom and working up.