Burke

kfc_superteam

14 minutes ago, piffer said:

The club have to look after their best interests. If Burke hasn’t signed up before the start of pre season then IMO the offer needs to be off the table. We’ve too often gone into seasons unprepared. Waiting on an ageing player who probably commands a decent wage and whose legs may actually have gone at the end of last season doesn’t seem the most advisable decision. 

So he's got till this coming Friday, 18th, by your reckoning

If TW thinks Burke is stringing him along then he'll cut him loose.  There may well be discussions going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

We need to replace so many players that one delayed signing (or not) is not going to cause a major issue to Wright's plans ... he'll still be looking at a replacement for Burke whether he signs on again or not.

34 minutes ago, chubbs said:

We need to replace so many players that one delayed signing (or not) is not going to cause a major issue to Wright's plans ...

It's unlikely the squad will be complete until the window closes at the end of August so there doesn't seem any need to rush to fill a position which Armstrong or McKenzie can fill.

If he signs he signs, if he doesn't so be it. 

We tried.

8 hours ago, piffer said:

The club have to look after their best interests. If Burke hasn’t signed up before the start of pre season then IMO the offer needs to be off the table. We’ve too often gone into seasons unprepared. Waiting on an ageing player who probably commands a decent wage and whose legs may actually have gone at the end of last season doesn’t seem the most advisable decision. 

Personally I think he has had his best days but if he believes that he has more to give then so be it and to suggest he's a wage thief and won't be honest with the club is poor IMO.

Last season it was documented that he told the club to deal with the youth before him which suggests he puts others before himself. 

8 hours ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

People who  think Burke would not be brilliant for us this year are no richters..

Burke slowed up quite drastically in the run in last season and most aspects of his game were poor most of the time.

Pre season could go 1 of 2 ways for him.

People understandably doubting whether he can do 1 more year 

57 minutes ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Personally I think he has had his best days but if he believes that he has more to give then so be it and to suggest he's a wage thief and won't be honest with the club is poor IMO.

At no point am I saying he’s a wage thief. He’s been our best player for two years and if anything he’s the only one whose justified his earnings over the last season.

Next season isn’t the last two years though so if he’s looking for a decent wedge it may not be advisable as we don’t know we will get the same Chris Burke.

From his previous comments Burke has to be sure he believes he can physically play a part for another year before committing to any new deal,  he usually has a very short break after season ends but then starts his own fitness schedule at home . 

Could well be that whilst the deal itself is acceptable both TW and Burke have agreed a longer timescale due to the player needing to assess his next step based on fitness and other reasons 

TW will probably not see Burke as a starting player every week so will be making other plans accordingly, but he may well feel Burke would be a great asset to have around the club for such a vital season ahead, which would be my wish too 

An experienced player with skills like Burke to open up teams , a lot of whom will sit very deep against us in most games could help 

1 hour ago, Ngonge88 said:

Burke slowed up quite drastically in the run in last season and most aspects of his game were poor most of the time.

Pre season could go 1 of 2 ways for him.

People understandably doubting whether he can do 1 more year 

Anyone would have slowed up if they had the burden of carrying a poor team for the majority of the season, until Lafferty arrived and even after he was basically our only danger going forward.

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Anyone would have slowed up if they had the burden of carrying a poor team for the majority of the season, until Lafferty arrived and even after he was basically our only danger going forward.

Okay, I totally get your point. 

But he's still slowed up, at 38 year old how much can he pull himself together again for another season.

Id personally sign him as a squad player, but can see why some ain't fussed 

1 hour ago, Scouser2 said:

From his previous comments Burke has to be sure he believes he can physically play a part for another year before committing to any new deal,  he usually has a very short break after season ends but then starts his own fitness schedule at home . 

Could well be that whilst the deal itself is acceptable both TW and Burke have agreed a longer timescale due to the player needing to assess his next step based on fitness and other reasons 

TW will probably not see Burke as a starting player every week so will be making other plans accordingly, but he may well feel Burke would be a great asset to have around the club for such a vital season ahead, which would be my wish too 

An experienced player with skills like Burke to open up teams , a lot of whom will sit very deep against us in most games could help 

I think this the reason.

Didn't Burke said it was more important that others got signed up first? I think that's primarily got to do with him resting and seeing if his body can take another season.

Treating all players equitably doesn't necessarily mean treating them all the same. IMO Burke has done enough to deserve to be treated differently. 

I'm not going to say Burke is Cantona and Wright is Fergie, but you can see what I'm driving at.

1 hour ago, Ngonge88 said:

Okay, I totally get your point. 

But he's still slowed up, at 38 year old how much can he pull himself together again for another season.

Id personally sign him as a squad player, but can see why some ain't fussed 

He didn’t look like a 37 year old in the cup game against St Mirren.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He didn’t look like a 37 year old in the cup game against St Mirren.

After the St Mirren league game he looked like he was running on empty. He was by no means the only one but he wasn’t anywhere near at it in the last three games. Surprising because he’d been the shining light for the whole season. 

3 minutes ago, piffer said:

After the St Mirren league game he looked like he was running on empty. He was by no means the only one but he wasn’t anywhere near at it in the last three games. Surprising because he’d been the shining light for the whole season. 

Last 3 games nearly everyone was s**te, Chris Burke would run amok in the championship but he would need help from others around him which never really happened last season.

2 hours ago, piffer said:

Definitely was but he played nearly every game for us last season. Shows how much we relied on him.

If he stays we need to manage him better, give him 60 minutes in most games or use him as impact sub in others. 

4 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

In a nutshell!!!

We cannot put him in a position where HE is expected to be our number one creator etc. 
I see people using different words to say the same thing on here, one gets red the other green, quite funny tbh. 
I think Burkey will be honest with TW, he will need to be, for anyone unable to recognise a 38 year old who simply had nothing left in the tank due to over reliance, just think back to how he started and finished the season. 
He is a smashing  bloke and a total professional, I don’t think he will be looking at Premiership football next season, I hope he stays as a squad member. 

Squad member who will be head and shoulders above 90% of the rest of the league.. He is going to be 38 not 48 and looks after himself, we need quality and I don’t think we are in a position to attract someone of Burke’s quality and experience.

19 hours ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

People who  think Burke would not be brilliant for us this year are no richters..

Thing is, maybe even Chris Burke isn't convinced he could be brilliant this season. I can't see him moving elsewhere but I can see him retiring this summer.

50 minutes ago, Ipkis said:

Thing is, maybe even Chris Burke isn't convinced he could be brilliant this season. I can't see him moving elsewhere but I can see him retiring this summer.

Could be right ... he comes across as an honest guy and if he doesn't believe he can make an impact at a certain level then he'll drop down or retire.