Burke

kfc_superteam

2 hours ago, Big sexy said:

Fed up with this narrative he failed 

I believe he could have done more with his time in charge. I think he will feel that way as well. In fairness to him he was the only one IMO to really come out and take responsibility for what happened. The rest were posted missing. 

12 minutes ago, piffer said:

I believe he could have done more with his time in charge. I think he will feel that way as well. In fairness to him he was the only one IMO to really come out and take responsibility for what happened. The rest were posted missing. 

Most revealing thing for me was on the last day of the season when he said that he thought the points we got would have been enough. 

I get the sense he might regret not trying something different sooner and not putting as much faith in the usual suspects. I totally get why he thought 'nothing drastic, organisation, experience and some goals from Lafferty' was a sensible play, but wonder if there were warning signs he regrets ignoring.

I agree in terms of responsibility and have been impressed with his interviews and approach since the final whistle in the playoffs. 

Hoping that sense he could have done more is fuelling both a more radical rebuild than he might of thought and a passion to get us back up and right the mistakes.

11 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

we took offers away from other players, not sure burke deserves to be an exeption

Who have we removed contract offers from?

Millen, he was given a deadline to engage not sign. That deadline passed so contract offer removed.

Lafferty, both parties were miles apart and there was no chance a resolution could be achieved. Contract removed.

I'm guessing (so are you) that the contract offer to Burke isn't for a significant amount of our budget, therefore TW isn't concerned and still has plenty left to offer other targets.

I personally think the longer this trundles on the more likely he is too staying.

3 hours ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Who have we removed contract offers from?

Millen, he was given a deadline to engage not sign. That deadline passed so contract offer removed.

Lafferty, both parties were miles apart and there was no chance a resolution could be achieved. Contract removed.

I'm guessing (so are you) that the contract offer to Burke isn't for a significant amount of our budget, therefore TW isn't concerned and still has plenty left to offer other targets.

I personally think the longer this trundles on the more likely he is too staying.

i dont see why he should not have a deadline like others. Players are being signed by other clubs which means we could be missing out. the longer this drags on the more we miss out on players. if he signs then so be it, but if he goes elsewhere then it will have been a missed opportunity.

tw said he wanted players who wanted to be here....

6 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

i dont see why he should not have a deadline like others. Players are being signed by other clubs which means we could be missing out. the longer this drags on the more we miss out on players. if he signs then so be it, but if he goes elsewhere then it will have been a missed opportunity.

Haven't we already signed Armstrong as a right winger?

To me, it seems like that position has been taken care of and Burke, if he signs, would be used more sparingly and effectively.

7 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

My point is he met the only deadline we actually know of. The deadline to open negotiations with the club, after that there has been no actual deadlines that we have been privy to.

48 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

Haven't we already signed Armstrong as a right winger?

To me, it seems like that position has been taken care of and Burke, if he signs, would be used more sparingly and effectively.

Going into the Championship with Armstrong and Burke as options on the right would be comfortably the best in the league.

Edited by Cill Mheàrnaig

On 6/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, cdj said:

Made my day there..... till I got to the last sentence!!!..... would love to see Connell and Brindley re-signing (more so than Burke tbh) as they are at the 'right' end of their careers. Having said that, the younger players could do worse than try to emulate his dedication and professionalism.  

You can celebrate today's news now! 

8 minutes ago, Merk said:

If he’s not given Wright a definitive answer by now then I’d revoke the contract offer. Players back Friday so we need to know what we’re working with and can’t hold on indefinitely for a decision.

Doing his 'deal with the youngsters' bit again, perhaps? They've been dealt with, so answer should be soon.

The longer this goes on the more I suspect he's going to join the squad for pre-season training and get the deal over the line then. Could just be that we've said to him to relax for a few weeks and not think about football. Out of all the players offered deals he's the one that deserves the most chance to do whats right for him.

25 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

I hope we have spies ready for training restart tomorrow. There will be plenty of new faces appearing. 

Definitely. Fancy we'll see the signings ramp up in the next week. 

No matter what happens with Burkie though I have zero hard feelings. If he stays then brilliant - he'll be a crucial member of the squad next season. If he decides he's got another crack at the Premiership in him then good on him and best of luck. If he feels he wants to take it easy now and retire then he's more than earned it. Skill, desire, hard-work and quality - if all our signings were like that we'd be a force to reckon with.