Burke

kfc_superteam

6 minutes ago, piffer said:

Like others if he’s not 100% behind this challenge then it’s time to say goodbye. It might have been too many games in a short space of time but I thought his legs went in the league game vs St Mirren. Could be a major gamble to be reliant on him next season. 

He has been the standout for two seasons and because of that will be remembered in a different light than others for last seasons disaster.

In terms of coaching role. Is he right for it? He’s a top role model but would he be a good coach. If we were to offer him one then it’s where TW thinks he fits. We cocked up forcing staff on Alessio and Dyer. If Wright doesn’t think Burke is first team coach material then he’s starting at the bottom and working up. 

We need to be careful that just because he’s been a good player for us, a “good guy” who comes across well and is doing his badges that he isn’t automatically a shoe in for a coaching role. Needs to prove he deserves it like anybody else. 

6 hours ago, carpetfitter said:

Top top man. Listening to him on Sportsound. Bigging up the club, acknowledging the fact he was part of a team that got relegated. Still thinks he can play at high level. He’s genuinely torn and admits he’s a deep thinker and is working out what he wants to do for the best of the club and himself. Articulate, knowledgable and decent. Worth a listen.

This sounds good but in reality what's best for the club will not cross his mind.  He will make his decision and I hope it doesn't drag on and a deadline should be set - similar to millens deal.  Huge rebuilding job and we can't be waiting around.

If Chris Burke gets a coaching role on the basis of being a likeable, experienced first team player we’d be as well chucking it.
He’s on SportScene or whatever the radio version is called talking to “Mr Levein”, telling him he’s open to all offers, Mr Levein of Highland League Brechin City. We know he’s done media training hence his radio cameo and he’s “considering his next career move” according to the club. 
All points to me to someone who isn’t determined to get us back to the top league. Another who “supports” Killie when they’re paying his wages cause it’s common sense, but when it comes to the crunch he looks after his family and himself, which we can’t have any complaints about. He done us well but we should wish him all the best and move on. Forget this obsession with a coaching role. 

3 hours ago, stripes1869 said:

This sounds good but in reality what's best for the club will not cross his mind.  He will make his decision and I hope it doesn't drag on and a deadline should be set - similar to millens deal.  Huge rebuilding job and we can't be waiting around.

Disagree. I think you are underestimating his decency and character. He genuinely does love Killie. 

He done well as a player this year, but at his age, if he doesn't stay, it wouldn't be the end of the world. As sad as it would be to see him go.

As for coaching, he looks to have the right credentials. But it's up to TW and JF to decide if he'd be worth having in the backroom staff

Edited by Pompey Repatriated

8 hours ago, carpetfitter said:

Disagree. I think you are underestimating his decency and character. He genuinely does love Killie. 

Sorry but no underestimation here.  His decision will be based on the same criteria/importance as anyone else would when considering their future. 

1. Effect on family.

2. Effect on themselves.

The effect on the club, at a push, will come after.

If he was 100% committed to the clubs future he would of signed straight away, with a press release put out, saying his aim was to fire killie straight back into the top league.

Again a deadline has got to be set and then we move on and allocate wages elsewhere.  

Were not building a team round him so think we could be able to allow more flexibility around the deadline for his decision. 

For me, I'd like him to stay. For him, all things considered, if offered a better deal then he'll likely go for reasons stated previously. 

I’d love to see Burke stay and would love to see him have a pathway to coaching. As others have said that part only works if TW / JF see him as a valuable asset in that regard. He does seem to be the utmost professional. I listened to all his comments yesterday and could only conclude he was being respectful and polite. 100% though he was overdoing it with the Mr Levein patter though!

At his age I think we have to give him a bit of flexibility to properly recover from the season just gone and see if he believes his mind and body can do another season. I presume he wants to go out on a high and realistically I just can’t see him getting a Premier team where he would be an automatic first pick. At his age does he really want to upset his family life which also seems hugely important to him for a geographical move? He did say he wanted to play against the top players, but there is a big risk in starting a season only to find you’re not up to it. Why not bow out in a league where you should still be able to be a top player at a place you’re comfortable at with the real possibility (hope) of winning  a league trophy?

I think we have to be realistic at Burke's age another year is along time in football terms. Not convinced he has the legs for the Premier League anymore and certainly won't in 2 years time. 1 year deal with more emphasis on the coaching side of things. 

I think however we do need to put a deadline on it, last thing we want is this dragging on. 

2 hours ago, CYRILLRIP said:

I’d love to see Burke stay and would love to see him have a pathway to coaching. As others have said that part only works if TW / JF see him as a valuable asset in that regard. He does seem to be the utmost professional. I listened to all his comments yesterday and could only conclude he was being respectful and polite. 100% though he was overdoing it with the Mr Levein patter though!

At his age I think we have to give him a bit of flexibility to properly recover from the season just gone and see if he believes his mind and body can do another season. I presume he wants to go out on a high and realistically I just can’t see him getting a Premier team where he would be an automatic first pick. At his age does he really want to upset his family life which also seems hugely important to him for a geographical move? He did say he wanted to play against the top players, but there is a big risk in starting a season only to find you’re not up to it. Why not bow out in a league where you should still be able to be a top player at a place you’re comfortable at with the real possibility (hope) of winning  a league trophy?

Exactly my thinking.

3 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

This one is that “Chris Burke would make a great coach.” We don’t have a clue whether he would or he wouldn’t.

That could be said of any would-be coach or manager until they have had a chance to prove themselves. 

All you can do is look at the available evidence and make an educated guess. 

Burke hasn’t just “said he’d like to do it and he talks well, but that’s it”. He has a UEFA A licence and has been doing a football management course at uni. Less relevant, but he is a director in a sports agency.

If he is in the building, is looking for experience (which we don’t know) and the management are not opposed, it seems prudent to give him an opportunity at some level.

If he was any good, that would be great. If he’s not, or doesn’t fancy it, it would be no loss as he would have been playing too.

Everybody would probably have tipped TB as being a future manager, yet few would have identified Bobby Williamson who turned out equally successful with a single trophy each.

As I say, you can only look at the evidence and make a judgement call.

He’s a more plausible candidate than some former players whose names have been suggested in the past. 

4 hours ago, killie89 said:

Apart from several goals and assists. What a ridiculous comment

3 goals and 3 assists since the turn of the year.
I think we’ve had the best out of him and if he moves on it’s no great loss. 
As I said, unpopular opinion. 

I know most people are happy with most of the players leaving but I think keeping Burke would make complete sense. Provide a lot of experience on and off the park for all the new, younger, guys were bringing in. Also knows what it’s like to play for a club that’s expected to win every week (that’s a statement I never thought I’d ever say about us)