Departures

Good to have some clarity. Personally wasn't holding out any hope for Lafferty and Kitlie. 

Really glad Broadfoot is off. Feel better today than after the initial statement when it looked like we might still have Broadfoot and Millen - full revamp is good. 

No massive surprises here really, and a mixture of good news, sad news, and some in-between.

I think the fact that we've finally decided to sever ties with Broadfoot gives us much more of a chance of a genuine, positive, fresh start. Never having to watch him in a Killie shirt again is a massive positive. 

And while I have little doubt that Kiltie would have offered something in the Championship and has some talent, he's never been able to push on and become an indispensable name on the team sheet at any stage. Drifts out of games too easily so it's not a disaster.

Lafferty, of course, is a disappointment, but at his age there was no way he was going to settle for what might be a farewell season in the Championship when he'll fairly easily secure a final payoff and wages in the Premiership for a year. He won't be short of interest, and you can see the likes of Hearts, Dundee United and even Aberdeen being willing to give him another shot.

Pinnock's a bit of a surprise as he was one of the ones I thought might well stay, and was clearly improving. But let's face it, until a few weeks back he was a bit player that no-one was insisting should be in the team.

It would be nice to see Burke stay, and he's the one I'd be genuinely sad to see us lose here. But overall, more positives than negatives here and we now clearly have the vast majority of the wage budget freed up to do a proper rebuild now.

Not unexpected but at least we know where we stand regarding 1st team squad. Personally would like to see Connell, Brindley and Burke re-sign (perhaps player/coach role for CB). Should free up a fair chunk of the budget and allow TW and Co to complete our squad in a timely manner. ?  

Lafferty did as well as he could, still wasn’t enough we were that bloody bad. He’s a mercenary all you need to do is look at his Wikipedia to see that. 

Kiltie imo is fine against bottom six teams. But too inconsistent and flatters to deceive. Thanks for his time abs goals against Falkirk. 

Broadfoot can keep walking should never have been back after leaving. 

Pinnock apart from 2 games was anonymous all last season. 

Burke is the only one I’d be concerned about as I genuinely like him and would like him to stay on and coach aswell. He’s a winner and could be valuable.

19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Absolutely not, Kiltie has never been good enough to pay over and above IMO. He's an OK player who has done OK for us. If he doesn't want to be here and he has a better opportunity I can understand him wanting to explore that, wish him all the best but I wouldn't go begging for him to stay.

I never advocate paying above what we should but i'm surprised we were offering take it or leave it deals from outset. you'd imagine there'd be some sort of negotiation. 

He was starting to show the talents we always knew he had and imo would be a star in the championship. At this stage in his career though i fully understand him moving on, i expect a scottish premiership team or a league one/championship team in england will pick him up.

22 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Absolutely not, Kiltie has never been good enough to pay over and above IMO. He's an OK player who has done OK for us. If he doesn't want to be here and he has a better opportunity I can understand him wanting to explore that, wish him all the best but I wouldn't go begging for him to stay.

How can you say that when you don’t know what he was being paid or what he has been offered? He was player of the season on here last year which would suggest he was more than just ‘ok’. 

I'd have missed Clarke-era Broadfoot, but not him from last season.

Lafferty did us proud, but I didn't really expect him to stay. He could have his pick of teams outwith the twin cheeks given his performance for us last season.

Bit surprised about Pinnock, but not irreplaceable. Not sure he'd have suited the championship.

Gutted about Kiltie. With his experience, he would have been a big player for us. Mind you, I feel like we've been saying that since he first got in the team?

Thanks for everything lads.

Ok, that's done.Like exam results, the worst part is the waiting. 

Now we know where we stand, we can look to the future of Killie now.

Their wages should help to keep Burke and our talented youngsters, plus help with bringing in others.

Per ardua ad astra!

1 minute ago, historyman said:

How can you say that when you don’t know what he was being paid or what he has been offered? He was player of the season on here last year which would suggest he was more than just ‘ok’. 

It doesn't. He was ok in a team that was s**te. Really our best player was clearly Lafferty. Kiltie got points on the board where we were honking and he was the best of a bad bunch. Most of the season he was anonymous but he did come on to a game a bit after Wright came in.

He's been here his entire career and he's never become anything more than a guy with a bit of ability who might become a good player. He's been ok, he's not worth paying over and above what we're willing to pay.

7 minutes ago, historyman said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere. Greg is a good wee footballer

But he's had 2 decent seasons at Kilmarnock. 1st one we stayed up in a play off, 2nd one we were relegated in a play off.

Nobody, and I mean nobody from last season is worth being upset about if they left

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It doesn't. He was ok in a team that was s**te. Really our best player was clearly Lafferty. Kiltie got points on the board where we were honking and he was the best of a bad bunch. Most of the season he was anonymous but he did come on to a game a bit after Wright came in.

He's been here his entire career and he's never become anything more than a guy with a bit of ability who might become a good player. He's been ok, he's not worth paying over and above what we're willing to pay.

Ok, what were we willing to pay and how did this compare to the rest of the first team squad? I certainly don’t know these figures so I can’t make a decision on whether he’s worth what we are offering him or not or not like you seem to be able to do. 
As we are trawling the championship to rebuild our squad I think we’ll find it hard to find someone better than Kiltie. He was a big success with Morton and Dunfermline while on loan. 

Edited by historyman

1 minute ago, historyman said:

Ok, what were we willing to pay and how did this compare to the rest of the first team squad? I certainly don’t know these figures so I can’t make a decision on whether he’s worth it or not like you seem to be able to do. 

Who cares? He was offered what the club deemed his worth. He doesn't want it. He's not good enough to start throwing money we don't want to spend at a player who only influences a game about one in every nine.