Departures

2 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Lafferty was on a short term contract on very good terms by our standards, I heard bowie funded it personally. Even if we were in the prem it’s doubtful we would have offered same money over a year or two. 

I’d heard his wages were funded by Findlay’s departure. Who knows what the truth is. 
Also, we could be saving money based on the number of players leaving (c.26) which would allow some to be paid at the upper levels as we won’t have such a bloated squad next year.

However, given so many have rejected the new offers (more than I have ever seen at one time before) I am wondering how the offers are comparing to their existing wages. 

5 minutes ago, historyman said:

I’d heard his wages were funded by Findlay’s departure. Who knows what the truth is. 
Also, we could be saving money based on the number of players leaving (c.26) which would allow some to be paid at the upper levels as we won’t have such a bloated squad next year.

However, given so many have rejected the new offers (more than I have ever seen at one time before) I am wondering how the offers are comparing to their existing wages. 

Same plus cost of living increase perhaps?

We're obsessing over players who have now gone. We were never keeping Lafferty. If the others think they can do better elsewhere good luck to them.

Kiltie needs a change, been drifting in and out the team for years. Can't think of any games he's grabbed by the scruff of the neck and dominated. Clarke didn't fancy him so that's good enough for me. His style of play doesn't fit that well into a team structure unless you are willing to give him a free role behind the front man - bit of a luxury player. Robinson on the other hand won games single handedly against big teams last season. And two Raith fans I know are gutted Armstrong's away. Onwards and upwards!

2 hours ago, Fudger said:

Lafferty was on a short term contract on very good terms by our standards... Even if we were in the prem it’s doubtful we would have offered same money over a year or two. 

For a player who will 34 in September and is always a booking away from a red card?

It would have been a big gamble. Better to spend on two decent players if they can be persuaded to come, which might be easier said than done.

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, historyman said:

Difficult to say from the outside, but i don't get the impression the cash has had much to do with those refusing. 

I'd probably go to St Johnstone and get some games in Europe/stay in the Premiership for slightly less money if I was in Kilties position. Reckon being a top flight player the more important factor there. 

Lafferty likewise if he can be a starter for, eg, Goodwin at St Mirren and get games against the old firm. Lafferty likes the limelight and he wouldn't get that in the Championship. 

I do get the impression we offered Broadfoot less than he was on but that would be the right thing to do. 

Who knows on Pinnock but he's maybe looking at Kabamba and fancying his chances of a decent move down south. 

2 hours ago, historyman said:

I’d hope they’d been offered less than they were on before. I wouldn’t like to think we would reward failure. 

Lafferty was a last throw of the dice by the board to try and stay up, was probably well paid for his short term with the club but even if we had stayed up he was probably on unsustainable wages. He is a football mercenary and will be off to whoever pays best.

If I knew we would be going down, I would rather we hadn't bothered with Lafferty all it did was prolong the agony, and cost us a good few thousand quid.

Need to move on.

3 hours ago, Fudger said:

Lafferty was on a short term contract on very good terms by our standards, I heard bowie funded it personally. Even if we were in the prem it’s doubtful we would have offered same money over a year or two. 

In the end Lafferty although he got a few goals was a expensive gamble that didn't pay off. He stopped us from going down automatically but we still went down. It really just put him in the shop window. He didn't turn up in the playoffs. Maybe Dundee's tactics did that. In the end was the difference between 11th and 12th worth his wages. Had he stayed on you could have argued he was worth it. 

I just don’t get this Lafferty didn’t ‘turn up’ trope being chucked about. For one thing it’s a daft lazy cliche that implies responsibility on the part of the player. We should remember that he was injured and it looked as if he would be out for longer. He was probably not fully fit in the play offs. You could see he was really trying, putting the effort in, but it wasn’t happening. The other factor affecting his performances in the games is that Dundee got their tactics spot on. It’s a team game, our team were dross and KL could play the Lone Ranger only so often. 

Edited by carpetfitter

When he was fit, Lafferty’s application put the rest to shame.

He didn’t just “get a few goals”, he was our clear top scorer despite joining in February.

Even if he hadn’t scored a single goal, he put in more effort than some did in the whole season.

In fact, it looked like some of them reduced their effort thinking he and his goals would compensate.

Although he was probably going to be a free agent in the summer and could have sat out more games, he came back too soon after his injury and wasn’t as effective. To say he didn’t turn up in the play-offs is nonsense.

Edited by skygod

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

When he was fit, Lafferty’s application put the rest to shame.

Even if he hadn’t scored a single goal, he put in more effort than some did in the whole season.

In fact, it looked like some of them reduced their effort thinking he and his goals would compensate.

Although he was probably going to be a free agent in the summer and could have sat out more games, he came back too soon after his injury and wasn’t as effective. To say he didn’t turn up in the play-offs is nonsense.

Not questioning his commitment last season. Just when all is said and done Bowie probably paid a lot of money to bring him in. He played well but it wasn't enough. We still went down. Now he's offski and we are no better off. Due to his performances he will not be short of offers

Burkes comments on Sportsound:

"I wish I could, I'm still deciding my future if I'm honest.

As a group we just didn't perform in the two play-offs, we were hugely, hugely disappointing.

We didn't do ourselves justice but over the course of the season we didn't do enough to get out of the play-offs.

Individually you could say I had a good season but I don't look at that, a good season for me would have been in the top six again and I didn't deliver that for the club.

I'm still deciding my future, I can't tell much to the Kilmarnock fans or anybody.

I think what you have to do in this scenario is try and take the emotion out of it and think rationally.

That's why it's taking a little bit more time."

Edited by Cass316

3 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

In the end Lafferty although he got a few goals was a expensive gamble that didn't pay off. He stopped us from going down automatically but we still went down. It really just put him in the shop window. He didn't turn up in the playoffs. Maybe Dundee's tactics did that. In the end was the difference between 11th and 12th worth his wages. Had he stayed on you could have argued he was worth it. 

Arguably the difference between 11th & 12th might more than cover his wages? I haven’t seen this season’s payments (are they published yet?) but the difference between 11th & 12th place in 2019/20 was about £60k. £1.18m v £1.12m. He wouldn’t have been on that for the 4 months he was here at RP.

3 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

Not questioning his commitment last season. Just when all is said and done Bowie probably paid a lot of money to bring him in. He played well but it wasn't enough. We still went down. Now he's offski and we are no better off. Due to his performances he will not be short of offers

Why do you think that Bowie paid a lot of money to bring him him? Why say that rather then Bowie authorised the club’s money to bring him in?

6 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

The gamble that didn’t pay off was letting Finlay leave when he did