Departures

You have to suspect that when Kyle first came to us we got him on a "good" deal as he did not have many options - fast forward a lot of goals later and he is in a much stronger position and asking for more money to stay not less. We do not think being a Championship club that this is viable and say no thanks, seems pretty simple business decision and the right one in the circumstances. Unless we knew what he was on and what he asked for then it comes down to who is most convincing in the story telling. Kyle can spout on and on but the club lose face if they say almost anything more on the matter

I think it has been misread by fans, same player budget, means nowt budget could have and prob was going to be drastically reduced anyway, remember all those household star players we signed when we finished 3rd, 

bit of a poor show if we only go in with one offer to lafferty who effectively almost kept our s**t show up when he rejects we say see ya later, if we had done this with bachman last year we might have signed a goalie who could catch a ball.

6 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

You can keep saying that, but they are being accused of doing something else. You asked me to what was discussed, and I showed you what Lafferty said. The club may have made an offer, Lafferty is claiming he named his price and was ignored. It doesn't take much to say no, which you're claiming with certainty we did.

If you think it's fine for the club to be accused of not negotiating properly with players and say nothing in defense, because you can't fathom that JF might not be very good at his job, that's up to you.

You keep ignoring that Lafferty said the club spoke to his agent and that he also said deals were withdrawn hours later. Do you expect me to believe he was the only person, out of that group, not offered deal?

KL, like you, seems to be labouring under the delusion we have to barter for his services. We weren’t negotiating. We offered a deal and if it’s rejected we move on. The player or their representatives have also decided they’re worth more and can get it elsewhere so they move on. 

This isn’t like February where the player had the club over a barrel. There are significantly more players out of contract. We aren’t facing the same pressures re time constraints and relegation we did then. Back then he could squeeze us for every penny he could get. Now we have time to weigh up our options. This isn’t complicated. 

I’m quite pleased at the clubs stance so far this pre season. We fannied about for months waiting on Jordan Jones and SOD maybe signing new deals, seems we waited around for Bachman to maybe become available last season. Ultimately it got us nowhere and likely set us back with forward planning. 

Would’ve loved lafferty to stay but not to the detriment of us signing several other decent players. Time to move on.

5 minutes ago, Rabprytz said:

Thanks for confirming

Can you clarify re budgets being the same, is the 2020/21 player wage bill being maintained for 21/22 season in the Championship?

Or is the 21/22 wage bill lower than last season? (But in line with what we planned to spend as a Premier League club)

As far as I know (you'd be better asking Jim or Cathy) the budget for players wages has not changed even though we have dropped a division. By that I mean the budget to cover the whole squad, that's not to say that there will not be changes for individuals within that...some players might get offered improved contracts, some might get offered the same terms...as happens at the beginning of every season.

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

The club offered Lafferty a deal. Those were the clubs terms. His agent proposed this terms and there was no negotiation. The offer ran out, we had no room to negotiate, he didn’t accept and so the outcome is he leaves.

Brophy is on £3k a week basic at St Mirren. We signed Lafferty at a time when we needed goals. Did he come cheaply to us because he wasn’t playing or did we pay a premium because he and his agent knew the situation we were in. I’d expect the latter to be the case. 

Lafferty and his agent would either want his same wage or an increase. If he is on £5k per week plus £1k per goal we can’t afford that and I doubt many Premiership teams could either.

Some of the players that got us relegated seem to be delusional. Did Broadfoot expect the same terms or close to them as last year given his performances and the fact we are a Championship club? If he can get the same wages as we played last year good luck to him. Same with the others.

We move on with players that want to be at the club, players we can afford and are willing to accept our terms. 

I agree with this post. We have spent weeks if not months voicing how last seasons squad was not good enough, the club have acted and the vast majority have gone. Like most people I am disappointed that some of the players offered deals did not stay. 

Let's move on build a new squad of players that want to play for our club, you never know a new legend or two may emerge. 

On Lafferty articles such as this one is the reason he has had so many clubs and why it was always going to be a risk getting him involved. He was great for us but time to move on unless he will accept the terms offered 

4 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

The club offered Lafferty a deal. Those were the clubs terms. His agent proposed this terms and there was no negotiation. The offer ran out, we had no room to negotiate, he didn’t accept and so the outcome is he leaves.

Brophy is on £3k a week basic at St Mirren. We signed Lafferty at a time when we needed goals. Did he come cheaply to us because he wasn’t playing or did we pay a premium because he and his agent knew the situation we were in. I’d expect the latter to be the case. 

Lafferty and his agent would either want his same wage or an increase. If he is on £5k per week plus £1k per goal we can’t afford that and I doubt many Premiership teams could either.

Some of the players that got us relegated seem to be delusional. Did Broadfoot expect the same terms or close to them as last year given his performances and the fact we are a Championship club? If he can get the same wages as we played last year good luck to him. Same with the others.

We move on with players that want to be at the club, players we can afford and are willing to accept our terms. 

Spot on. I’d add i fully expect the club have researched the going rate for championship players wages and have made their best offers based on these. We will be paying above the going rate, to ensure we get the pick of the better free players, but Lafferty was never going to get a wage in keeping with a Hearts/Hibs /Aberdeen striker, long term, here. If he didn’t know that, he’s even dumber than he looks. 

If we are to believe that it was BB who was personally funding  KL then why would he not be entitled to not want to if as suggested not want to find more money for an expensive gamble which admittedly only saved us from automatic relegation.

We should be focusing on the positives in all of this in that hopefully for the wages he was demanding we can fix up possibly two players who may prove more valuable to our cause next season and maybe the next time to move on and lets see who TW  and JF come up with.

41 minutes ago, LH31 said:

The team didn't really do much in the two games. Not sure singling him out is fair. 

Went down with an absolute whimper!

That followed a series of disgraceful performances that put us in trouble in the first place.

I can't fathom how players can think they're exempt from the consequences of their gutless and repeated failures! If they don't like the terms offered as a result of the relegation they played a major part in causing fair enough!

Reject them and move on the club can't hang about waiting!

This public whinging is making my blood boil!

KTID!

Ultimately the players offered deals were part of the squad which resulted in relegation for the 1st time in 28 years. 

Not a single one of them should be thinking their performances last year deserved increased terms and that would include Lafferty. If they aren't happy tough luck. Glad to see the back of them.  

Club have a whole squad to build in a very short time. It’s only right that they offer terms they think players are worth with deadlines, and if they say no we move on quickly. Can’t repeat the mistakes of the past and hold out for people who aren’t going to come - that’s partly what got us into this mess. 

With every story I read I’m liking TW’s work more and more.   He wants players who want to be here.  Simples.  Any prevarication or nonsense wage demands means you don’t want to be here cheerio.  

very encouraging to hear in the last interview with TW that Scott Robinson deal was done rapid and he was keen to come.   More of the same please

Must be 4-6k a week he would have been asking for. That’s mega money for us. 

Great that the club has squashed the claims upfront. Makes it easier for fans to move on knowing Lafferty is clearly just trying to milk us dry at that price. 

This Tommy Wright approach of signing players who are desperate to play for the club and improve is refreshing and standing up to big characters is impressive. Similar to Clarke accepting no bulls**t.