World Cup Bid

World Cup 2030: UK and Republic of Ireland bid 'makes eminent sense'

Football Association of Wales (FAW) president Kieran O'Connor says a UK and Republic of Ireland bid for the 2030 World Cup "makes eminent sense".

The formal World Cup bidding process begins in 2022, after an ongoing feasibility study is concluded.

O'Connor pointed towards this summer's delayed Euro 2020 competition to dismiss concerns about hosting the 2030 World Cup across five nations.

"We don't have the geographical spread that these Euros have," said O'Connor.

"You can fly from Cardiff to Dublin in under an hour, whereas we have a six hour journey ahead of us [to Baku, Azerbaijan].

"The feasibility study is ongoing, we've been promised lots of money for it and it makes eminent sense.

"There's also an argument to say it's due in the United Kingdom anyway, if we go for it we will be up against stiff competition, but I hope we have a crack at it."

In March, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it is the "right time" for the UK and Republic of Ireland to launch a joint bid.

A joint statement at the time from the five football associations said they were "delighted" to have the support of the UK Government.

Speaking on the BBC's Radio Wales Sport programme O'Connor said the FAW are in "regular dialogue" with the other football associations, and hoped the Prime Minister "keeps his word" over proposed funding for the tournament.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57385096

"We don't have the geographical spread that these Euros have," said O'Connor.

"You can fly from Cardiff to Dublin in under an hour, whereas we have a six hour journey ahead of us [to Baku, Azerbaijan].

I don't think it can be compared with the current one-off Euros where the idea was deliberately to have a festival of football across Europe.

For a start all the host nations weren't granted automatic qualification.

2030 World cup, should be the bid led by Uruguay. 100 years and all that jazz.

It'll likely end up in a Morocco led bid, as they lost out the last time to the CONCACAF bid. Don't see UEFA getting it, as we've 'just had Russia'. AFC won't get it either, as we'd have just had Qatar. Which should kill any potential Australian bid stone dead. So CONMEBOL, or AFC.

I don’t get the logic of including the Rep of Ireland in the bid. They would have 2 suitable stadiums - both based in Dublin unless more white elephants are constructed. NI Windsor Park isn’t big enough either at roughly Rugby Park capacity but I accept a UK bid would need to include them somehow.

The prospect of UEFA endorsement seems fanciful right now, as does hosting a tournament you haven’t qualified for as they can’t accommodate all hosts automatically. 

51 minutes ago, casual observer said:

I don’t get the logic of including the Rep of Ireland in the bid. They would have 2 suitable stadiums - both based in Dublin unless more white elephants are constructed. NI Windsor Park isn’t big enough either at roughly Rugby Park capacity but I accept a UK bid would need to include them somehow.

The prospect of UEFA endorsement seems fanciful right now, as does hosting a tournament you haven’t qualified for as they can’t accommodate all hosts automatically. 

I'd say only one stadium in Dublin, one in Cardiff, one in Scotland (unless they use Murrayfield) would be used and the rest would be in England.

As CB points out probably wasting money on a bid as it won't come to Europe.

Edited by Prahakillie

On 6/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, CB said:

2030 World cup, should be the bid led by Uruguay. 100 years and all that jazz.

It'll likely end up in a Morocco led bid, as they lost out the last time to the CONCACAF bid. Don't see UEFA getting it, as we've 'just had Russia'. AFC won't get it either, as we'd have just had Qatar. Which should kill any potential Australian bid stone dead. So CONMEBOL, or AFC.

World Cup in UK would be brilliant, but I agree that 2030 should be Uruguay and co hosted with Argentina if they could ever afford it.

Scotland really missed the boat in the Euro 2008 bid. We were going it alone supported by Henry McLeish First Minister. He had to resign and Jack McConnell took over and he was  lukewarm and wanted Rep Ireland to have 2 grounds. That pretty much screwed it up.

I remember reading Scotland had a strong case if going it alone, 8 stadiums were required - Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park, Murrayfield, Easter Rd, Pittodrie,  new ground in Dundee and the eighth was likely to be Rugby Park.

30k was the minimum capacity, temporary stand extensions would have been constructed (Charleroi Euro 2000) at RP. What an experience for the town and club that was potentially missed. Still annoys me the bid was messed up. Never have that chance again due to size of tournament.

Edited by Guard Lane