Squad & Realism

Nobody

Parachute payment and budgeting dictates that our best opportunity to bounce back is in a single season. 

Signings so far have been workmanlike. We need a couple of marquee signings to increase belief. The official website has us with potentially 16 signed senior players, so the squad is filling up, but we need more quality. 

We really don't want to be doing a Falkirk, Thistle, Raith, Dunfermline or even an Airdrie, so imperative that TW gets it right and we take full advantage of the opportunity presented to us. 

4 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Parachute payment and budgeting dictates that our best opportunity to bounce back is in a single season. 

Signings so far have been workmanlike. We need a couple of marquee signings to increase belief. The official website has us with potentially 16 signed senior players, so the squad is filling up, but we need more quality. 

We really don't want to be doing a Falkirk, Thistle, Raith, Dunfermline or even an Airdrie, so imperative that TW gets it right and we take full advantage of the opportunity presented to us. 

Ross County managed a 1 season bounce back with 2 guys at the helm with 0.01% of the experience that TW has. It will not be easy, there will be set backs but I am confident we will make the step up.

I have not seen any signings so far that I feel are going to give us an edge in the fortcomming season. They all look like fairly workmanlike signings, maybe Tommy has chosen them because he feels confident he can get something out of them. 

Still await any movemen to fill the glaring hole we have between the sticks.

I am for ever hopeful but I will not be that surprised if we have a bit of a damp sqib of a season.

The weakest Championship for a number of years without Gers, Hibs, hearts Dundee teams.

as we haven’t won a league since 65, and our squad is now depleted and running on championship players, I sense a playoff game where we would get hammered.

we have set our level with lafferty going. That will come back to bite.

13 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I have not seen any signings so far that I feel are going to give us an edge in the fortcomming season. They all look like fairly workmanlike signings, maybe Tommy has chosen them because he feels confident he can get something out of them. 

Still await any movemen to fill the glaring hole we have between the sticks.

I am for ever hopeful but I will not be that surprised if we have a bit of a damp sqib of a season.

Issue when the club signs players that most of us haven’t heard of or not seen enough to know their capabilities, then it’s natural to assume they are average and not going to be match winners or game changers.

Without running through them individually, those already signed, on paper, contain players who know the championship and have performed well in it. 
As the transfer window is about to close then there will be players, as there always are, who we have noted our interest in and if they can’t do better elsewhere will join us and there might be one or two that will get the pulse beating a bit faster as far as star name quality than those already recruited. 

1 hour ago, Prahakillie said:

as soon as we were relegated he was always going.

We would have struggled to keep him even if we had stayed up. His wage demands would have been even higher.

Lafferty did amazingly well for us, but he's available to the highest bidder. Let's not fall for that 'I wanted to stay' line. 

Edited by Ayrshire Killie

The fact that TW has got to assemble essentially a whole new squad means that not every signing we make is going to be exciting and have have that X-Factor. He is going to assemble a squad where all the players have different qualities and attributes that are going to complement each other on the field.  At the moment we are signing a lot of the workmanlike , less exciting players but that are a crucial part in the makeup of a squad. The more marquee players that will set us apart from the rest of the teams in division are probably going to take a bit longer to get signed as they will no doubt be in more demand and will have more options to weigh up than the players already signed. This is where it will be up to TW to sell his vision o the club to convince these types of players to sign.

Hopefully GK and striker are 2 positions where we are going to push the boat out (within budget) to sign players as we saw last season,they can be the difference between winning and losing games

We should be aiming to get straight back up. Just because it will be difficult doesn't mean that shouldn't be the aim. If we don't do it next season the budget will reduce and the more difficult it becomes. Also the club moves from a Premier league club setup to a championship one. The board said the budget will stay the same next season and that will likely be it. I'm not saying it's now or never but we have go in with a plan to get promoted This season. 

I agree chucking players together will take time and the first few games maybe bumpy but with the club charging spfl prices and good ticket sales we have to go for this. No prizes for second place. 

There is pressure with Rangers and Celtic to win every week. In this league with the budget we should not be settling for second. If we don't go up its a failure. 

Had the debate on Sat about next season with 6 other Killie fans. 2 of us thought it may take more than one season to come back up whereas 5 thought we'd come back up after a season. The 5 that thought we'd come up were overly optimistic without any real foundation as at this stage we don't even have a full team of players available. The 2 of us that thought it could take more than one season highlighted the complete rebuild that was necessary and that we had to gel a team and get them winning games. We were also the ones most seething about getting relegated and the performance of the team last season. It is a mammoth task to correct the s**tshow that TW inherited. He is assembling a workmanlike team which is exactly what you'd expect him to do given the shambles of last season. 

I'd be over the moon if we came back up in a season but coming back up is the first task. The second task is having a team that can remain in the SPL as don't want to yo yo up and down the leagues as we did in the late 1970's and early 1980's. 

We have no option but to get behind TW and the team. The process is about rebuild and progression. Progression from a team that lost 26 games out of 40 last year and had only 5 contracted players. If it takes longer than a season so be it as long as we see that the rebuild is going in the right direction.  

Edited by MarkyMark

5 hours ago, Bbk said:

The only thing we have to hold onto as supporters is our blind optimism that our new team can win the league this year and surely the reality of the possibility that we won't is at the back of our minds just now.

Hopefully the team TW is assembling will be good enough to achieve what we all want back up in one go and at the  expense of dundee going in the opposite direction with Hamilton beating St. Mirren in the play offs and the double whammy of getting 3 plastic fantastics back in the top league lets believe!

5 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

Hamilton will be no mugs this year.

They seem to bounce off the ropes time after time.

It's going to be a tough league.

Aye but they have Rice in charge.

There isn't enough to go on to arrive at a view as to how next season likely to go.

Plenty of teams have just got used to losing and fallen further. If it's true that we have the largest budget in the league that puts us in a good position but it isn't conclusive. We have only half a squad and no keeper.

It's far too early to be saying much and I wouldn't want to be accused of an old firm mindset at Championship level.

Hoping for positive news on more new signings as soon as possible.

The answer is we don't know how the season will go. We still don't know what our squad will look like and how the team will gel together. But the aim has to be to bounce straight back up, that is why we are keeping the budget so high. Anything else will be seen as a massive failure especially as we are seen as the big fish in this scenario.

People need to be patient with the signings though, not every signing will be flashy or a young up and comer which we have already seen. That doesn't mean they won't be able to play a part in getting us back.

Overall I will wait and see what happens before forming a judgement for the campaign ahead.