Czech Republic Match Fred

CB

6 hours ago, Angelo's Ashes said:

I suspect we'll play really well on Friday but lose by one or two.

England's record against mediocre teams is very good. 

Agreed. 

Start well, England score and then we huff and puff with a few half chances until they kill us off. 
Hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it playing out. 

33 minutes ago, Mister Y said:

What a missed opportunity with a baffling starting line up from Clarke!

Gordon, Tierney, Patterson, Gilmour, Adams all must start on Friday!

The Celtic players are damaged psychologically so drop them, not fussed on Dykes either, rest SOD and Marshall.

I don't see what was so baffling about the line-up. They have been the mainstay of his selections so far.

And Tierney was injured or he would have played.

6 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

I don't see what was so baffling about the line-up. They have been the mainstay of his selections so far.

Too loyal IMO. Completely understandable why he chose them though. Players like SOD, Dykes and Christie played a key role in getting us here. Others are performing better at a higher level now and should probably have been picked ahead of others. 

Tierney was a huge blow when the team was announced. Wales were much worse than us against Switzerland and managed to scrape a draw. Goalkeeper and main striker are our weakest positions and they are vital. I don't accept that Gordon is any better than Marshall, both are average. Adams and Dykes are lightweights, Nisbet might be a better option but is inexperienced at this level. Patterson looked good going forward against Luxembourg but left big gaps behind him which England would exploit.  However, SoD isn't an international full back so we might have to go with Patterson. 

19 hours ago, Guff92 said:

Surely you’re joking? 
Pass out wide was on. 

The shot was the wrong decision but f**k me you shouldn't be in any danger of conceding from that. A player should be able to hit a shot without fear his keeper is standing on the halfway line. Marshall is at fault there absolutely mental hea that far out his box. 

Also im sorry but Clarke absolutely shat it with his team selection. Your at home in a championship and you go safety first. Che Adams made an immediate impact. Dykes should only be on as a foil to another striker because he isnt a goal scorer. His attempt in the second half was woeful. 

1 hour ago, Prahakillie said:

1 hour ago, Bhamkillieken said:

agreed, i think it is more simple and we are just not good enough!

I believe it's this kind of mentality that's part of the problem.

Scotland manger after Scotland manager after Scotland manager falls into the trap of playing "the guys that got us there" instead of the GUYS ON FORM!

Remembering back to 1978 when Derek Johnstone was one of the top goalscorers in Europe and never got a sniff from that clown McLeod still makes me shudder!

1 hour ago, cammy_boy said:

The shot was the wrong decision but f**k me you shouldn't be in any danger of conceding from that. A player should be able to hit a shot without fear his keeper is standing on the halfway line.

Agreed, but when the player shooting is one of a back three he should be wary of what is going on behind him.

It was a Brophyesque shot which we have seen all too often, bound to be blocked. 

Edited by skygod

15 hours ago, cammy2012 said:

Sevco fans really hate him for standing up to their s**te and because he's RC. Horrible bigoted bastards.

I see Clarke sticking up for O’Donnell against the clamour from all the SevCos with typewriters for ‘their’ lad to get his ‘Wembley dream’. It’s more important to the media that SevCo get to put a youngster in the shop window than that Scotland win or lose. 
PS I’m not suggesting anyone got pass marks the other day, probably only Robertson 

What summed it up for me, 2nd half, ball in the box falls to Dykes, on his left, presumably weaker foot and he hits a poor shot as he’s never in full control when shooting. Players at that level should be comfortable with either foot, pretty basic stuff.

Many of our players simply don’t have the technical ability which is needed at that level. Why - the media’s been over that ground every time, but ignore the real reasons.

Czech manager called it ‘simple football’, long ball punts bypassing the midfield in hope of Dykes ruffling up a defender going for the ball dropping out the sky and producing a knock down for likes of mcginn  or Armstrong. Jose I’m sure would have called it 19th century football.

It’s the kind of football you see from two enthusiastic amateur teams down Scott Ellis on a Sunday afternoon.

The club the player plays for tells a lot too

o’donnell - team bottom 6 

dykes - mid range championship team

marshall - not even getting a game for a team who escaped relegation from England’s 2nd Tier on last day of the season.

The old saying - your only as strong as your weakest link!

Might have to stick with Marshall, but o’donnell and dykes should be nowhere near the starting line up next 2 games. 

Edited by Guard Lane

21 minutes ago, Guard Lane said:

What summed it up for me, 2nd half, ball in the box falls to Dykes, on his left, presumably weaker foot and he hits a poor shot as he’s never in full control when shooting. Players at that level should be comfortable with either foot, pretty basic stuff.

Many of our players simply don’t have the technical ability which is needed at that level. Why - the media’s been over that ground every time, but ignore the real reasons.

Czech manager called it ‘simple football’, long ball punts bypassing the midfield in hope of Dykes ruffling up a defender going for the ball dropping out the sky and producing a knock down for likes of mcginn  or Armstrong. Jose I’m sure would have called it 19th century football.

It’s the kind of football you see from two enthusiastic amateur teams down Scott Ellis on a Sunday afternoon.

The club the player plays for tells a lot too

o’donnell - team bottom 6 

dykes - mid range championship team

marshall - not even getting a game for a team who escaped relegation from England’s 2nd Tier on last day of the season.

The old saying - your only as strong as your weakest link!

Might have to stick with Marshall, but o’donnell and dykes should be nowhere near the starting line up next 2 games. 

We are getting found out what we are a bang average team.

40 minutes ago, Guard Lane said:

More specifically, as is often the case in international football, I think its that we don't have those players in a couple of key positions. 

Odd to compare us to Spain, but as you saw the other night you can have huge amounts of quality elsewhere and be undone if there's not a striker that can put the ball in the net.

Keeper, striker and centre back really let us down. Oddly think we could have a much poorer midfield and we'd still do much better with better players in those three positions. 

43 minutes ago, killie1961 said:

If anyone thought before the Euros started that we were anything other than bang average then they were deluding themselves. We got in to this tournament by a baw hair. Not sure why anyone is expecting anything other than 3 defeats. As it stands and with the players at our disposal we should just be happy to have qualified. Perhaps for the next tournament we can push on but only if the management team is allowed the stability and time to make improvements. 

Edited by gjkillie007

I think we knew deep down the standard of this team. We reached the finals thanks to two penalty shoot-outs through a back door entry. Scotland as a footballing nation isn't good at organisation, we make noises about change after the last failure then continue to do the same thing again and again. Admittedly, failure to qualify for 23 years has greatly reduced the amount of money we have to spend on youth development but even if youth development was fully funded I wouldn't trust the SFA to get it right. 

The Scottish team does unfortunately mirror the average midSPFL team , a few decent players ( McGinn McTominey Tierney etc  ) one standout (Robertson ) the rest just good honest journeymen . We will get the odd surprise result against better opposition like Finland did against Denmark , circumstances aside , but that will be the peak of our attainment. 

This debate will continue ad nauseum as the SFA work under the auspices of the old firm who are quite happy to maintain there power over Scottish football . 

1 hour ago, killie1961 said:

Then you see performances like Serbia and Netherlands and realise there’s a bit of potential there aswell.

Easy to say team selection was wrong but we still had plenty chances.
The goal down the left imo still happens regardless of any changes and the second Marshall should’ve definitely  been closer to his box but I don’t think anyone could’ve argued against his inclusion before the game.

8 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

Then you see performances like Serbia and Netherlands and realise there’s a bit of potential there aswell.

Easy to say team selection was wrong but we still had plenty chances.
The goal down the left imo still happens regardless of any changes and the second Marshall should’ve definitely  been closer to his box but I don’t think anyone could’ve argued against his inclusion before the game.

Aye ok, but a chance falls to a striker who can’t hit the ball properly as he’s never made the effort to ensure he’s as comfortable shooting with his left foot as he would with his right.

we never learn, Collins, le Guen, allessio come in with modern technique, training, positioning, tactics, diet etc and the players rebel - this manifests itself in the national team.

fed up listening to not getting the breaks, bad luck etc peddled by the Scottish media and gutter press.

How come it’s always scotland?

10 minutes ago, Guard Lane said:

Aye ok, but a chance falls to a striker who can’t hit the ball properly as he’s never made the effort to ensure he’s as comfortable shooting with his left foot as he would with his right.

we never learn, Collins, le Guen, allessio come in with modern technique, training, positioning, tactics, diet etc and the players rebel - this manifests itself in the national team.

fed up listening to not getting the breaks, bad luck etc peddled by the Scottish media and gutter press.

How come it’s always scotland?

I thought dykes was a shout to start imo because he is more physical against a big Czech side. Wasn’t a good performance from him tho.
Adams would most likely have buried that chance but he was already on by that point. 

majority of the players play in England so that argument isn’t valid for them imo.
for the Scottish based players there is definitely an element of it though.

we didn’t lose because we played badly we lost because they had 3/4 good chances and took 2 of them. 
we had 3/4 good chances and didn’t. 

I fancy he will change the team for England. Tierney will play if fit and I fancy O’Donnell will move out for either Paterson or Forrest. 
Adams will probably start.

I think there’s still a belief issue with the team, we tend to lose late goals and that’s been a common theme for 40/50 years.