Colin Doyle

SCOOT KFC

Kilmarnock are closing in on a deal for Jason Naismith as the summer rebuild in Ayrshire gathers pace.

Killie boss Tommy Wright is set to agree a deal for the full-back, who has been a free agent after leaving Ross County in the summer.

The 26-year-old has a wealth of experience from his time at St Mirren, Peterborough and a loan spell at Hibs last year.

Wright is also set to re-sign goalkeeper Colin Doyle, who spent last season on loan in Ayrshire from Hearts.

The big Irishman is now a free agent after his contract at Tynecastle expired and Wright has offered him a dual role as keeper and goalkeeping coach.

He will take over from long-serving goalkeeping coach Billy Thomson. The former Rangers and Dundee goalkeeper first started working at Killie in 2007.

Wright, himself a former shot-stopper will bring in another keeper as No. 1 with Doyle as back-up.

Killie currently have no senior goalkeepers on the books after both Doyle and Danny Rogers left following relegation to the Championship.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/colin-doyle-set-kilmarnock-return-24318394

Just now, langlands_killie said:

Wtf although the whole team last season embarrassed us arguably our s**te keeper decisions cost us relegation and we want to bring that halfwit back in any capacity is bizarre.holy God there must be other options considering our claims to have the highest budget in this Micky mouse league . That if true has really pushed my button to renew the season ticket before the end of the month 

Hope to god it’s not true this has just made my day worse!!!!

The Doyle decision , IF it’s true seems very strange …did he and TW work together before? ….

as if is just going on the time at our club as well as looking a poor keeper I did not see much evidence of him doing much organising of his defence in front of him , to suddenly be seen as part of the coaching set up and inspiring others 

As with the rest of his signings this summer , just have to hope TW knows best……and it’s proved a success overall ……

So the guy in goals when we got relegated, who goes down in more instalments than my mortgage, is going to be both backup keeper and coach our number one keeper that he’s trying to get into the team ahead of?

Sure, that sounds perfectly sensible and in no way will it end up a complete mess with Doyle back as our first choice by October after the inevitable disappointing loan signing goes horribly wrong. 

Feel a wee bit sick at the prospect of Doyle returning. Not happy with the idea of this at all. 

Can you imagine the reaction if he had to come on or even started a game due to injuries. 

Nah, I'd rather have just about anyone else. 

Edited by fraggle