Zach Hemming

killieboy87

5 minutes ago, Travis said:

Given Tommy Wright's quotes, it sounds more like he's intended to be first-choice keeper: “Paul alerted me to him but I know Ian Bennett [Middlesbrough, goalkeeping coach] really well and I think Zach is someone who will come in and be a big hit with the fans.

“He’s a good size, technically a very good goalkeeper and he will improve by playing games."

I can't imagine them pitching someone as a 'big hit with the fans' or 'improving by playing games' if he's intended to be backup to someone else. Time will tell.

I agree, happy to let him prove himself but Lyle and Doyle as back up is ominous if he’s injured. 

The Middlesbrough take is definitely for first team experience (why else loan him?):

’ 

Middlesbrough goalkeeper Zach Hemming has today joined Kilmarnock on loan until the end of next season, with the club announcing the deal via their official website.

The 21-year-old departs the Riverside Stadium on a temporary basis in order to get some much needed first team minutes under his belt away from the North East.

A product of the club’s academy, Hemming has also spent time out on loan with the likes of Darlington, Hartlepool United and Blyth Spartans in recent years as Boro continue to monitor his development.

A move to the Scottish second tier club offers a step up in quality and he will be looking to make a lasting impression on Boro boss Neil Warnock moving forwards. ‘

Neil Warnock, talking about keepers in May, said that two out of three young keepers - Hemming, Sol Brynn and Brad James - would go out on loan and the other would be third choice next season.

““They are all good keepers who could probably make it but the errors that they show, they need games to clear these up.”

Édit - James was in goal for Hartlepool in their play-off win yesterday. 

Edited by skygod

Wish the lad all the luck in the world but I don't understand why we keep loaning keepers?

It's a pivotal position and we seem to be happy to be a proving ground for an inexperienced kid! Warnock's comments trouble me if the lad is going to be our first choice because he is likely to cost us goals and points whilst he learns. That isn't a great prospect for a team with aspirations for a promotion push.

Surely we need one of our own with experience who isn't a bombscare or is that too much to ask?

Hope he turns out to be brilliant of course!

11 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Wish the lad all the luck in the world but I don't understand why we keep loaning keepers?

It's a pivotal position and we seem to be happy to be a proving ground for an inexperienced kid! Warnock's comments trouble me if the lad is going to be our first choice because he is likely to cost us goals and points whilst he learns. That isn't a great prospect for a team with aspirations for a promotion push.

Surely we need one of our own with experience who isn't a bombscare or is that too much to ask?

Simple reason is the dearth of experienced keepera who are available.

I am certain we would prefer one of our own, but its not that easy.

Also loans can be a way you bring in a player who is a step.above what you can normally afford

19 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Flipside of that is that he looks the sort of player that might well be happily released to us if we get promoted and Middlesbrough have better on their books. Always think that's a market worth exploring

Not disagreeing I'd like our own keeper signed up though 

I'd prefer a permanent keeper, getting a bit fed up with loan keepers. He's young too, so still learning his trade. Hopefully turns out to be a gem, but if he is, we need another keeper for the start of next season, unless he cuts ties with Borough. 

As somebody brought up on guys like McCulloch, Geddes and Lekovic, I'm hoping for a solid long termer between the sticks. 

1 hour ago, Cass316 said:

Definitely sounds like first choice with Wrights comments. 

He's not going to come out and say "aye this guy is going to be backup" - that would be daft. I imagine we'll sign another 'keeper as well and TW will let them fight it out for the gloves. Hopefully some competition pushes everyone to be better.

Darlington fans, albeit not much of a level, seem positive enough about him. Like any goalie with any aspirations, he's here to compete for the no 1 spot. Hopefully this relieves the pressure on finding a goalie and we now don't rush into signing Hamilton unless they're fully confident he's a better goalie than the guy most of us remember.

20 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

I imagine we'll sign another 'keeper as well and TW will let them fight it out for the gloves

That would make sense based on his comments about wanting competition for every position but I can’t see it happening.

I don’t think we will have a fourth keeper on top of Hemming, Lyle and Doyle.

Edited by skygod

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

That would make sense based on his comments about wanting competition for every position but I can’t see it happening.

I don’t think we will have a fourth keeper on top of Hemming, Lyle snd Doyle. 

I honestly think we'll see Lyle go out on loan. Somewhere like Annan where he can play every week and we can see whether there's something there or not. 

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

I don't think Doyle will be anything other than a registered goalie in case of emergency. Can't see us not signing another goalie unless Wright has a lot of confidence in Lyle.

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

Putting all your eggs in one basket a bit if we don’t. If this lad doesn’t live up to expectations then we’ve not much to turn to