Zach Hemming

killieboy87

'Fantastic opportunity' for Middlesbrough's Zach Hemming as the young goalkeeper heads out on loan

Highly-rated young Middlesbrough goalkeeper Zach Hemming has secured a loan move for the 2021-22 season

Zach Hemming will spend next season on loan at Kilmarnock for what has been described as a 'fantastic opportunity' to build his experience.

Hemming will spend the full season on loan with the Scottish Championship side where he will reunite with former Middlesbrough under-23s lead coach Paul Stephenson.

Stephenson serves as assistant manager to Tommy Wright at Rugby Park and played a big part in Hemming's temporary move there.

Of the move, Hemming said: “I was really pleased to get it over the line, this is a massive club. Hopefully I can help get us back to where we belong.

“I knew Paul from the ‘Boro academy and worked with him later when I went on loan to Blyth.

“My last loan spells really helped me mature a bit. I think coming here, I can kick on again.

“With the manager having been a goalkeeper himself then it’s good to have people here that can help me.”

Hemming is one of three talented goalkeepers in Boro's under-23 squad, with manager Neil Warnock saying last season that the aim was for two to go out on loan and gain first-team experience.

Hemming, 21, has already had spells at Darlington, Hartlepool United, and Blyth Spartans but now makes the step-up to the second tier in Scotland.

Boro's goalkeeping coach Ian Bennett said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for Zach to go and enhance his development and to take on and meet new challenges.”

And on how Stephenson, who also worked with Hemming at Blyth, helped orchestrate the move, Killie boss Wright said: “Paul alerted me to him but I know Ian Bennett [Middlesbrough, goalkeeping coach] really well and I think Zach is someone who will come in and be a big hit with the fans.

“He’s a good size, technically a very good goalkeeper and he will improve by playing games.”

Hemming is contracted to Boro until 2023 having signed a new deal at the club back in February.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fantastic-opportunity-middlesbroughs-zach-hemming-20863726

• 3 weeks later...