Who is next

piffer

Was having a think post match. What young players are out there who could take the team/squad to the next level.

Aside from Gilmour and Patterson there’s not a lot of talk about youngsters coming through. Mikey Johnstone at Celtic perhaps one who if he finds fitness will start to push for a place and bring something different. There’s been positive reviews for Jordan Holsgrove on the few outings he’s made for Celta. Kyle Joseph off the back of a decent season for Wigan just moved to Swansea. Most of the better players I could think of or in positions we are well covered for and wouldn’t be getting picked ahead of those already in place.

Edited by piffer

Positions that stuck out for me as being up for grabs.

Goalkeeper as I’m not sure how long Marshall will continue.

RB. SOD will have a place in squads as long as Clarke is in charge. Patterson looks to be heir apparent to the position. Only thing likely to hold him back is minutes on the park at Sevco

CB. Still question marks over one or two of the three slots. Tierney made one his but others have rotated the other two for the most part.

Striker. Dykes and Adams bring something to the party but it’s not a goal threat. Both for me would be more comfortable as the second striker.

37 minutes ago, piffer said:

Positions that stuck out for me as being up for grabs.

Goalkeeper as I’m not sure how long Marshall will continue.

RB. SOD will have a place in squads as long as Clarke is in charge. Patterson looks to be heir apparent to the position. Only thing likely to hold him back is minutes on the park at Sevco

CB. Still question marks over one or two of the three slots. Tierney made one his but others have rotated the other two for the most part.

Striker. Dykes and Adams bring something to the party but it’s not a goal threat. Both for me would be more comfortable as the second striker.

Marshall made a point of shaking all of squads hands prior to applauding the fans. I think he will retire from international team shortly.

Because we can exploit the grandparent rule, it’s difficult to say which players from other countries may be available.

For example, Angus Gunn committed himself to England but he’s so far out of contention - third choice at Southampton - that he might as well declare himself available for Scotland.

Not saying he would be in contention but there must be others who are similarly eligible.

Edited by skygod

Problem with Scotland is, strikers especially aren’t allowed to express themselves at a young age. Keep it simple, Only hit it if you think you can actually score. 

Strikers also need to be above 6ft to make it. 

Until the mentality changes at grassroots level we will never progress.

5 hours ago, skygod said:

For example, Angus Gunn committed himself to England but he’s so far out of contention - third choice at Southampton - that he might as well declare himself available for Scotland.

As chance would have it, Gunn has today moved to Norwich, where he might play more first-team football.

Ewan Urain, signed a new contract with Athletic Bilbao until 2025, Scottish mother. Came on for U21's in the friendly against N. Ireland.

In the same game Archie Mair (Norwich U23's) and Brian Kinnear (Sevco) both played some parts of the game in goals.

Edited by Wrangodog