Squad 21/22 As it Stands

hindes57

Trying to think back to this time last year I thought the new fullbacks would be good. McGowan was a major disappointment as was Haunstrup. 

Goalkeeper situation was troubling but nobody had any idea what a calamity that would become.

The rapid decline in the capabilities of Dicker and Broadfoot was predictable but not to the extent it actually happened.

Brophy and Kabamba never got going.

Previously reliable stalwarts like Power and Findlay started making serious mistakes. McKenzie, Kiltie and Tish made no progress  at all and certainly not enough to turn things around.

Skive all the fears about the manager were quickly borne out!

The point of this ramble is to show how quickly assumptions about players and a squad as a whole can be proved wrong!

12 hours ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Trying to think back to this time last year I thought the new fullbacks would be good. McGowan was a major disappointment as was Haunstrup. 

Goalkeeper situation was troubling but nobody had any idea what a calamity that would become.

The rapid decline in the capabilities of Dicker and Broadfoot was predictable but not to the extent it actually happened.

Brophy and Kabamba never got going.

Previously reliable stalwarts like Power and Findlay started making serious mistakes. McKenzie, Kiltie and Tish made no progress  at all and certainly not enough to turn things around.

Skive all the fears about the manager were quickly borne out!

The point of this ramble is to show how quickly assumptions about players and a squad as a whole can be proved wrong!

same every season to an extent. 

Killie have signed some good players on paper over the years who turned out to be pants. Similarly we've signed supposed nobodies who did us a turn.

On paper the signings we've made so far are sensible. Whether they hit the ground running we'll find out soon enough.

Players of a good age on 2 year deals

ex captains of other teams (leaders)

midfielders who like a pop at goal

defenders who have a history of chipping in with goals.

some premiership players

a goalie with decent experience.

All we need is that striker.

24 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

same every season to an extent. 

Killie have signed some good players on paper over the years who turned out to be pants. Similarly we've signed supposed nobodies who did us a turn.

On paper the signings we've made so far are sensible. Whether they hit the ground running we'll find out soon enough.

Players of a good age on 2 year deals

ex captains of other teams (leaders)

midfielders who like a pop at goal

defenders who have a history of chipping in with goals.

some premiership players

a goalie with decent experience.

All we need is that striker.

Also, at least 3 of the new guys from the top of my head have experience of winning promotion.

Take a look round the other squad lists in the division and you soon realise we have a far superior first 11, quality in most areas to change things round, and the best manager by a distance. We should win this league with a little to spare at least if the attitude and application of the players is right. Plus I expect more quality still to be added before the window shuts.  

1 hour ago, casual observer said:

Take a look round the other squad lists in the division and you soon realise we have a far superior first 11, quality in most areas to change things round, and the best manager by a distance.

Agreed

We should win this league with a little to spare at least

Agreed, normally, but this is Killie and we dont do stress free and easy.

if the attitude and application of the players is right. Plus I expect more quality still to be added before the window shuts.  

Again agreed, and TW wont stand for any drop of stds or attotude, this isnhis side and Im sure the attitude will he spot on.

Innes Cameron is setting his sights on becoming Kilmarnock's No 9.

The 6ft 3in hitman has scored twice in as many games during pre-season, and he's hoping to continue that form as the Ayrshire side kick-off their campaign against East Kilbride today in the Premier Sports Cup.

Cameron, who grew up in Troon after moving from Oban, has had a number of loan spells outside of Rugby Park, but now he wants to show Tommy Wright what he can do.

He said: "I want to be playing regular football and that is a big thing for me.

"There is no point sitting on a bench every week, you want to get playing.

"So playing consistently and then hopefully when you play consistently you get goals and you get assists along with it."

He added: "Pre-season has been good, training has been good and it’s been tough as you’d expect.

"Everyone has kind of settled in well and it’s getting to know everyone. It’s been really enjoyable actually.

"I feel like a real part of the team. Obviously it helps that I’ve started the two pre-season games and got a good number of minutes under my belt so yeah, I’m quite happy and enjoying myself."

Cameron was delighted with scoring a couple in pre-season and continued: "Obviously it gives you confidence.

"With the kind of setback of last year for the club it’s always good to start on the front foot and that’s probably what I’ll be looking to do with these cup games; keep the winning mentality going and take that into the start of next season.

Cameron crossed the Ayrshire divide last season as he joined rivals Ayr United on loan.

He admits it'll be interesting playing against them – and he's not expecting a warm welcome at Somerset Park.

He said: "It will be a good experience. There hasn’t been an Ayrshire derby for a few years now so I think the fans will be excited for it as well. We are all excited for it.

"The first game is at Rugby Park so it’ll be good to have them back here and hopefully get a win.

"I don’t think I'll get a great reception at Somerset. I think that is off the cards after last season!"

Lochlin Highet (Daily Record).

On 7/7/2021 at 8:38 AM, Zorro said:

Similarly, why are so many fans fearful of teams we haven’t seen playing together?  Most have been gutted of their best players. The rest have just swapped players among themselves. A potential signing for us gets mentioned and he’s dismissed as too old/slow/useless. Then when he signs for a rival he becomes Ronaldo and everyone starts crapping themselves that we haven’t signed Messi yet. 

Take a look at the other squads - I’d be trembling along with the rest of you if we we’re going into the season and that’s all we had at our disposal, but it’s not. We have one piece of the jigsaw missing and the number 9 jersey has been left open so we can fill it. And TBH I would be a very happy man if I didn’t have to read another hand wringing  “we need a proven goal scorer” post between now and the start of the season.

TW & JF have went about their business in a quiet and methodical way. Most signings have come completely out the blue. There’s been none of the leaks we usually sufferer while we ditherer over terms. The Walker/Hamilton keeper situation demonstrates we have a plan A, Plan B, plan C when it comes to identifying and bringing in players. And if anyone thinks TW has a huge blind spot where a striker should be - why did he go and sign Lafferty last season? Could it be he knows the importance of goals and the importance of bringing in players who can get them? 

Everyone just chill. Tommy’s got this. 

Thank god that Tommy’s got it because I heard I plenty last season about the quiet and methodical way that Dyer and Fowler went about their business and in reality their signings were rubbish. We’re still getting rid of their rubbish the day before the new season starts. 

5 minutes ago, historyman said:

Thank god that Tommy’s got it because I heard I plenty last season about the quiet and methodical way that Dyer and Fowler went about their business and in reality their signings were rubbish. We’re still getting rid of their rubbish the day before the new season starts. 

What is it like always living in the past ? Move on PLEASE.

18 hours ago, historyman said:

It’s lucky you can trust me then, because I said Dyer was out of his depth from day one. And when I suggested Broadfoot was a crap signing and then highlighted why he was responsible for many of our defensive issues it was red dot city time. Most people even though he was our best defender. Personally, I still rated the “error prone” Findlay higher and said our fans wouldn’t realise how much covering he did for Broadfoot until he was gone.  I rated Whitehall as amateur/non-league level, Rodgers as a backup keeper, Mulumbu as a waste of wages and have been banging on about the lack of pace in our midfield since “give it to Jig” was the manager (I didn’t want him either btw). So when I say we will stroll the league, it’s a certainty. 

18 hours ago, historyman said:

Happy to be corrected by those trawling the threads, but I think you've built this up a lot more than was the case. There was definitely positivity, but even the positive were all saying at start of last season that we really needed a creative player, more up front and that we were short on the wings.

My memory of it is certainly being happy with the early business but on the basis that there was more to add at the end of the window - and it didn't come. The deadline days both windows were fairly downcast. 

Completely agree with not getting ahead of ourselves and holding judgment until we see some games etc - but I do think there's a reasonable basis for optimism. We've got wingers that we haven't had for a few seasons, Robinson and Polworth do midfield jobs that we haven't had anyone doing in the last few seasons. We've got in guys with experience rather than loans. Still very short up front. 

No idea whether it's good enough to win the league, but I'm happy that it seems a competent job of squad building. Seems to me, different from past few seasons, Wright has placed more emphasis on getting in guys like the centre backs who have a leadership spirit and focused on getting players in key positions. 

Here's hoping it all comes together, but I think the foundations for doing well are there. 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

It’s lucky you can trust me then, because I said Dyer was out of his depth from day one. And when I suggested Broadfoot was a crap signing and then highlighted why he was responsible for many of our defensive issues it was red dot city time. Most people even though he was our best defender. Personally, I still rated the “error prone” Findlay higher and said our fans wouldn’t realise how much covering he did for Broadfoot until he was gone.  I rated Whitehall as amateur/non-league level, Rodgers as a backup keeper, Mulumbu as a waste of wages and have been banging on about the lack of pace in our midfield since “give it to Jig” was the manager (I didn’t want him either btw). So when I say we will stroll the league, it’s a certainty. 

No bother Pep. 

21 hours ago, superfan said:

What is it like always living in the past ? Move on PLEASE.

I’m quite honest to say that I haven’t moved on from such a needless and embarrassing relegation after 28 years in the top league. I’m still totally disgusted by the way the way the club has been managed in recent years. Others may have forgotten more quickly, I haven’t. I still remember the three board members standing there in shame that night with barely a word to say between them. 

Edited by historyman

32 minutes ago, Real Gone Kid said:

Fergusson or Dyer??

@Skora11 kept saying it was too early to judge Dyer, well into last season. It was too early to judge him when he got the gig on a temporary basis, it was too early to judge him when he was given it to the end of the season and it was too early when he was still making an arse of it on a two year deal. I think it’s safe to say he’s either Dyer or his mum. Either that or they’re one of those people who just don’t like their errors being highlighted. 

3 minutes ago, Zorro said:

@Skora11 kept saying it was too early to judge Dyer, well into last season. It was too early to judge him when he got the gig on a temporary basis, it was too early to judge him when he was given it to the end of the season and it was too early when he was still making an arse of it on a two year deal. I think it’s safe to say he’s either Dyer or his mum. Either that or they’re one of those people who just don’t like their errors being highlighted. 

You are correct, I did say he should be given more time at first. It turned out I was wrong and happy to admit the fact I was wrong. 

The performances were decent at the start but we weren’t getting the results. Once the performances and results became poor it would have been time for him to go.

58 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

You are correct, I did say he should be given more time at first. It turned out I was wrong and happy to admit the fact I was wrong. 

The performances were decent at the start but we weren’t getting the results. Once the performances and results became poor it would have been time for him to go.

Performances were decent? He stood like the proverbial rabbit caught in the headlights, on day one, as St Mirren rode us rotten and that set the tone for his entire tenure. He’d fluke an occasional result every time the pressure began to build on him and then was saved again by some racist moron writing him a letter. Even then he still had time to f**k up another transfer window - knocking back the chance to sign lafferty so he could get “the right sort” in. He was tactically inept and appeared to have no motivational skills or even the self-motivation to try and improve the situation. He was an absolute disaster and also wasted three transfer windows, which ultimately cost us our premier league place. 

Anyone who didn’t recognise this, shouldn’t be giving opinions on a football site. 

Edited by Zorro