Olds reminiscing (Split from Aaron McGowan)

1 hour ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

Shame that it didn't work out because he was impressive for Accies. Fancy that a second choice right back on loan from down south might be one of the easier positions to fill going forward. If only Deveney was right footed.. 

Matt Watson was entirely right-footed and held his own in a league where nearly every team had a fine right-winger. It didn't seem to matter greatly. Alex Edwards, Jimmy Johnstone, Gordon Smith, Andy Penman, Willie Johnston, Ernie Hannigan, Cutty Young, all were equally subdued by one-footed Matt.

14 minutes ago, jasper said:

Matt Watson was entirely right-footed and held his own in a league where nearly every team had a fine right-winger. It didn't seem to matter greatly. Alex Edwards, Jimmy Johnstone, Gordon Smith, Andy Penman, Willie Johnston, Ernie Hannigan, Cutty Young, all were equally subdued by one-footed Matt.

Good point, although I would have thought that Billy Dickson had taken over by the time that Cutty Young was playing. Also, Andy Penman was a midfielder - did you mean Davie Wilson from that Hun era?

13 minutes ago, jasper said:

Ah the the crafty old Hoss!  He played wi the heid as much as the feet and when it came to Edwards sometimes a bit mair.  On the park they oten played as if they hated each other though I don't know if it went beyond that.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Superscot said:

Andy Penman was a midfielder - did you mean Davie Wilson from that Hun era?

Wilson invariably played on the left.

You could substitute Charlie Cooke for Penman and add Roald Jensen too.

A lot of different types of right wingers there. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Superscot said:

Good point, although I would have thought that Billy Dickson had taken over by the time that Cutty Young was playing. Also, Andy Penman was a midfielder - did you mean Davie Wilson from that Hun era?

Cutty Young played for A*r before going to the even darker side and had a few jousts with Matt in the old Ayrshire Cup. I definitely remember Penman replacing Smith on the Dundee right wing when the older man was indisposed. Johnny Hamilton of Hearts was another I could have mentioned. Davy Wilson and Jim Richmond used to have great battles, but I don't remember Wilson confronting Watson.

18 hours ago, skygod said:

Penman played on the wing in 59/60 and 60/61, when Gordon Smith arrived from Hearts and Penman moved to inside right.

Smith left Dundee in 1963 and was replaced by Charlie Cooke. 

Thanks! Wasn’t Andy Penman also diabetic? Think I saw an article about him at the time and how he managed the condition.