Clyde Match Fred

CB

First time I've seen the team live his season.

First half, especially upto 25mins, I thought we were on the front foot, aggressive but controlled  no stupid challenges.

My concern at half time was we seemed content at 2-0., and should have been 3 or 4 up.

Second half was poor all round.. lack of intensity in closing their team down.. which considering it was very hot may be understandable.

I don't think I saw a really hard tackle by our midfield, except for Rory. Yes we did win balls back but I didn't see the tough ball wining midfielder.. so concern that in the championship we may be a bit soft in the middle of the park.

The game is all about opinions but I thought Innes Cameron was poor in hold up against a league 1 side, on his heals inside the box too often. No confidence he would attack the front post. Hoping that the ball came to him in the box instead of making runs across defenders. I'm not convinced he is the top striker we need to challenge for promotion.. and the squad needs at least 2  new strikers  , esoecially one who can score 25 goals in the Championship and lead the line and link up players. This year we can expect to face teams who sit back.. getting the ball out wide and crossing for a CF to attack is a key part of opening teams up.

Today was a good opportunity to really kick off our season but while we won, the second half was certainly not good enough.

We know this is work in progress, with a new teams, so hopefully we see some in the cup games next week.

32 minutes ago, drmurray said:

First time I've seen the team live his season.

First half, especially upto 25mins, I thought we were on the front foot, aggressive but controlled  no stupid challenges.

My concern at half time was we seemed content at 2-0., and should have been 3 or 4 up.

Second half was poor all round.. lack of intensity in closing their team down.. which considering it was very hot may be understandable.

I don't think I saw a really hard tackle by our midfield, except for Rory. Yes we did win balls back but I didn't see the tough ball wining midfielder.. so concern that in the championship we may be a bit soft in the middle of the park.

The game is all about opinions but I thought Innes Cameron was poor in hold up against a league 1 side, on his heals inside the box too often. No confidence he would attack the front post. Hoping that the ball came to him in the box instead of making runs across defenders. I'm not convinced he is the top striker we need to challenge for promotion.. and the squad needs at least 2  new strikers  , esoecially one who can score 25 goals in the Championship and lead the line and link up players. This year we can expect to face teams who sit back.. getting the ball out wide and crossing for a CF to attack is a key part of opening teams up.

Today was a good opportunity to really kick off our season but while we won, the second half was certainly not good enough.

We know this is work in progress, with a new teams, so hopefully we see some in the cup games next week.

Spot on, 100% accurate summation. ?

The way i look at it is thus:

New team effwctivelt bith games.  2 wins, 4 different goalscorers, one cleam sheet with the only goal against coming from a penalty.

Cons, we should have scored a double what we have, but with the addition of proper quality that will come.

All in all compared to last season, we have a clear plan.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

The way i look at it is thus:

New team effwctivelt bith games.  2 wins, 4 different goalscorers, one cleam sheet with the only goal against coming from a penalty.

Cons, we should have scored a double what we have, but with the addition of proper quality that will come.

All in all compared to last season, we have a clear plan.

Pros - we got a much better manager than we had at start of last season.

We are in a far lower standard league.

Cons - we have a much weaker squad than we had last season.

Net result - if we don’t sign anyone else of note, I’d predict finishing 4th behind Inverness, Dunfermline and Hamilton. But if we can attract a quality striker in our wages to play at this level (not an easy proposition) there is still opportunity as defence and keeper(s) look decent at this level.

Just now, Harrogate Peter said:

Everyone recognises we need at least one striker but this squad isn't much weaker than last season and doesn't have the horrendous baggage associated with that lot.

Rally round!

You really not think weaker? It’s not even meant as criticism. It natural that a club in decline are going to have a weaker squad in championship than spl. I think bar the goalkeeper situation - dyer should never be allowed into Kilmarnock again for failing to solve that - we are weaker all over for me. I just worry that as Hamilton have kept much of squad together, Inverness are hardened to the challenge and Dunfermline are progressive, we may just fall short. Anyway, we all want success. We just have different views on how it is likely to be achieved.

34 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Pros - we got a much better manager than we had at start of last season.

We are in a far lower standard league.

Cons - we have a much weaker squad than we had last season.

Net result - if we don’t sign anyone else of note, I’d predict finishing 4th behind Inverness, Dunfermline and Hamilton. But if we can attract a quality striker in our wages to play at this level (not an easy proposition) there is still opportunity as defence and keeper(s) look decent at this level.

Have you actually looked at our opponents results in this competition ?

Hamilton struggled to until penalty and sending off in 80th minute. Against Falkirk. Caley 2 down against Stirling Albion before getting a draw. Dunfermline putting in the goals against Dumbarton who struggled to get squad together due to Covid outbreak. Did give Patrick a bit of a doing but Patrick supporting pal said it could have been 6 each as both defences were crap.

Try being a bit more optimistic you may get to like the feeling!

First time I have watched Killie live for too long. I loved it but we will not win the league with that team, Wee Burke was the only player that was really looking dangerous. We got an early goal and then the penalty. 2-0 up and cruising till Clyde got their goal. Then it was as if all the confidence we had, drained away for the next ten minutes and Clyde were looking a bit more dangerous. We got ourselves sorted after that but any chances we got were hit by players wearing slippers. We need another creative midfielder and an experienced striker to be in with any hope of going up. 

7 minutes ago, casual observer said:

Goalkeeper a massive improvement on the Chuckle brothers. Naismith better than Magowan & Millen combined I’d say! Haunstrup, no change. 
New centre backs better footballers and again more physicality and mobility than bombscare & whoever was pulled out the lucky dip to partner him.

McGinn more mobile than Dicker and composed on the ball, Rory & Burkey no change, Polworth I think will give us the creativity Power & Tish couldn’t, but still to be proven. Alston has scored more goals in 2 appearances than Power managed in 2 years. Robinson will cause a lot of problems and has a better record than Kabamba, Oakley & Whitehall by a distance. Lyons and Armstrong still to prove themselves but for 6 months of last season Pinnock was gash, so not a lot needs to be shown to improve that position.

We we’re never going to keep Lafferty in this division so Cameron for now has the jersey.

So other than at centre forward where we had an international playing for the last 3 months, I’d say we look a far better unit and possibly (as it’s early days) more united, than the individuals passing responsibility and the buck at every opportunity last season. Sorry bigguy, but think you’re talking p!sh. 

As always, it’s opinions that make the forum worth tuning in to.

Right back is open to opinion for me. Naismith is a good signing and given mcgowans desperately poor ( relative to expectations) performances, I can give you that one. Too early to compare centre backs Accurately but I think Findlay was a Scotland international for the long run if he had stayed in a steve Clarke team. Huge potential and with no disrespect to current 3, a far higher standard. We won’t agree on broadfoot so no point saying more in that. Let’s see how valuable he is to Inverness. Power would have pissed all over this league and can’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Alston. Still a good spl player. Dicker versus McGinn - I’m sure every fan and pundit accept effected killie fans would go for Gary. Tish in reserve. Mulumbu when he could be Arsed. Burke is Burke - still our best bet. kiltie a loss to another spl team - Murray may be decent but I’d take kiltie tonight if had a choice, And brophy, kabamba and lafferty versus Connell and Inness. It’s not even close I’m afraid. When st mirren steal your best players (brophy aside) I think you can see the likely direction in squad quality. 

3 minutes ago, Riccarton Bluebell said:

First time I have watched Killie live for too long. I loved it but we will not win the league with that team, Wee Burke was the only player that was really looking dangerous. We got an early goal and then the penalty. 2-0 up and cruising till Clyde got their goal. Then it was as if all the confidence we had, drained away for the next ten minutes and Clyde were looking a bit more dangerous. We got ourselves sorted after that but any chances we got were hit by players wearing slippers. We need another creative midfielder and an experienced striker to be in with any hope of going up. 

We have another attacker (Robinson) and one more to come in. We also have a creative midfielder (Polworth). These guys haven't played yet due to niggling injuries and also the likes of stokes isn't 100% yet so I don't know how you can say we don't have a chance of winning the league when players who are expected to be starters haven't featured yet. Also taking into account they are still gelling as a new unit.

20 minutes ago, Bellman2010 said:

Looking at the performances of both GKs in these cup games, what are folks overall thoughts on our strength in that position ? 

As with rest of the team Its too soon to make any real judgement especially given the level of opponents so far ..bigger tests to come in next month or so 

8 minutes ago, Monty1998 said:

Have you actually looked at our opponents results in this competition ?

Hamilton struggled to until penalty and sending off in 80th minute. Against Falkirk. Caley 2 down against Stirling Albion before getting a draw. Dunfermline putting in the goals against Dumbarton who struggled to get squad together due to Covid outbreak. Did give Patrick a bit of a doing but Patrick supporting pal said it could have been 6 each as both defences were crap.

Try being a bit more optimistic you may get to like the feeling!

I think if you were to see the posts I made from January 2018 till dyer appointment, they were almost universally positive. I was even a positive voice last season when others were slaughtering our senior players. At a critical time in our survival bid. So don’t characterise me as a consistently negative poster. It’s not true. It’s not about positive or negative. It’s calling it how you see it. And that means sometimes going against popularist opinion. We look a decent championship side for me at this time. I hope we win the league. I hope all the signings kick on and deliver. But surely we are all entitled to opinion, whether perceived as positive or negative. 

13 minutes ago, Riccarton Bluebell said:

Aligned with my thoughts exactly.

watched thew game on line. obviously it is too early to tell. in the first half i thought the CBs were good, second half decent too. burke had his man on toast but the final ball was poor. Innes was good at attacking the ball not so good with his back to goal. the midfield it is hard to comment, the camera was so far out and i am not sure the commentators knew who was on the ball, so i wont comment on them.

the keeper didnt have much to do, but looked confident and was two footed and composed with the ball at his feet, so that is a plus. he actually dived at the peno too  (it went down the middle, but at least he looked interested).

Haunnstrup, got in to good positions just a bit short, hopefully some coaching brings him to the next level.

defo need another striker. i feel like we should get Boyd into coach Innes, tell him stick nearer the gols and let other people do the dirty work.

1 hour ago, Thebigguy68 said:

You really not think weaker? It’s not even meant as criticism. It natural that a club in decline are going to have a weaker squad in championship than spl. I think bar the goalkeeper situation - dyer should never be allowed into Kilmarnock again for failing to solve that - we are weaker all over for me. I just worry that as Hamilton have kept much of squad together, Inverness are hardened to the challenge and Dunfermline are progressive, we may just fall short. Anyway, we all want success. We just have different views on how it is likely to be achieved.

What prompted me to reply was the 'much' weaker in your first post. I think it's arguable that this squad is better than last seasons as set out by casual observer it might be on a par but no way is it much weaker!

Just now, Harrogate Peter said:

What prompted me to reply was the 'much' weaker in your first post. I think it's arguable that this squad is better than last seasons as set out by casual observer it might be on a par but no way is it much weaker!

Fair enough. I think the current line up would be relegated by end February in the top flight but respect the opinion.