Clyde Match Fred

CB

2 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Fair enough. I think the current line up would be relegated by end February in the top flight but respect the opinion.

But we aren't in the top flight so I don't get your argument? We've assembled a squad for the league we are in. The hopefull aim is to gain promotion then strengthen the squad we have to then stay in the premiership. 

You keep comparing this squad to last year's saying that last year's was better. That IS the squad that got us relegated. So again I'm abit lost when it comes to what point you are trying to get across.

1 minute ago, MuirP said:

But we aren't in the top flight so I don't get your argument? We've assembled a squad for the league we are in. The hopefull aim is to gain promotion then strengthen the squad we have to then stay in the premiership. 

You keep comparing this squad to last year's saying that last year's was better. That IS the squad that got us relegated. So again I'm abit lost when it comes to what point you are trying to get across.

I made that point in subsequent post but you are right. It’s not a central point. Simply to acknowledge that we are in decline. We can no longer attract the talent we enjoyed. And that a poor premier league team (we can’t argue with the facts) is now even weaker on paper. My central worry is that we have replaced some key player with known quantities - that are known to be average, like Alston and mcginn - rather than younger players that could develop. It’s not a great story. Hopefully the inferior standard of opposition will more than compensate for the decline on our talent. That’s the hope and reasonable expecting. 

1 minute ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I made that point in subsequent post but you are right. It’s not a central point. Simply to acknowledge that we are in decline. We can no longer attract the talent we enjoyed. And that a poor premier league team (we can’t argue with the facts) is now even weaker on paper. My central worry is that we have replaced some key player with known quantities - that are known to be average, like Alston and mcginn - rather than younger players that could develop. It’s not a great story. Hopefully the inferior standard of opposition will more than compensate for the decline on our talent. That’s the hope and reasonable expecting. 

I agree that we had been in decline since SC left. Poor decisions at the top resulting in the decline. 

But...

I am confident that we have now drawn a line at the decline. We have a manager who actually seems to have a plan and direction when it comes to the style of play he wants and that has reflected in his recruitment drive. We have recruited players who have done well at this level. Some gaining promotion, being named in championship teams of the year and being clubs player of the year etc.

Players who all seem capable of chipping in with goals (4 goals scored by 4 different players in two games with a couple of other attack minded players still to come in is very encouraging for me). Plus others like Armstrong and E Murray have scored a number of goals at this level last year.

I am under no illusions that it will be an easy season, like everyone else we have had to cut our cloth accordingly but we have as good a chance as any of finishing top of the table. Again I'm incouraged as on the park this entire new squad are undefeated in four games (3 wins and 1 draw) all of which have been away from home (although on paper it doesn't say that due to a stupid administration error costing us). It is still encouraging with some key players still to come in. Young players look like they will be getting a chance to come through and those will be the assets we can develop and grow.

1 hour ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Pros - we got a much better manager than we had at start of last season.

Agreedz wouldnt be difficult

We are in a far lower standard league.

Agreed

Cons - we have a much weaker squad than we had last season.

Sorry but thats just not remotely accurate.

Net result - if we don’t sign anyone else of note, I’d predict finishing 4th behind Inverness, Dunfermline and Hamilton. But if we can attract a quality striker in our wages to play at this level (not an easy proposition) there is still opportunity as defence and keeper(s) look decent at this level.

A striker is still be sought.

4 hours ago, drmurray said:

First time I've seen the team live his season.

First half, especially upto 25mins, I thought we were on the front foot, aggressive but controlled  no stupid challenges.

My concern at half time was we seemed content at 2-0., and should have been 3 or 4 up.

Second half was poor all round.. lack of intensity in closing their team down.. which considering it was very hot may be understandable.

I don't think I saw a really hard tackle by our midfield, except for Rory. Yes we did win balls back but I didn't see the tough ball wining midfielder.. so concern that in the championship we may be a bit soft in the middle of the park.

The game is all about opinions but I thought Innes Cameron was poor in hold up against a league 1 side, on his heals inside the box too often. No confidence he would attack the front post. Hoping that the ball came to him in the box instead of making runs across defenders. I'm not convinced he is the top striker we need to challenge for promotion.. and the squad needs at least 2  new strikers  , esoecially one who can score 25 goals in the Championship and lead the line and link up players. This year we can expect to face teams who sit back.. getting the ball out wide and crossing for a CF to attack is a key part of opening teams up.

Today was a good opportunity to really kick off our season but while we won, the second half was certainly not good enough.

We know this is work in progress, with a new teams, so hopefully we see some in the cup games next week.

Absolutely spot on, particularly about Cameron. Alston was probably my man of match he looked full of energy and got about well even late on. McGinn good in first half but faded. Few short in striker area to win a league

27 minutes ago, MuirP said:

The squad is clearly weaker than last season. Just how much remains to be seen.

11 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Maybe so but I don't think last seasons squad was 11th best in the Premiership and look where we ended up? If the teams with the best players always won there would be no point even turning up. I'm optimistic this squad can do well this season. Sitting close to the subs today I could see a togetherness clearly abscent last season which will help significantly. 

9 hours ago, historyman said:

Good, we shouldn’t be struggling against these sort of teams, just decent straightforward wins and into the knockout stages to hopefully make a bit of money.   

“These sort of teams”

Thats our level now. We are a lower league club at present 

12 hours ago, drmurray said:

I don't think I saw a really hard tackle by our midfield, except for Rory. Yes we did win balls back but I didn't see the tough ball wining midfielder.. so concern that in the championship we may be a bit soft in the middle of the park.

McGowan can play in there.

I don’t think he will be soft. 

10 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I believe the aim and ambition is to get promoted this season. Whilst not disagreeing with the point about young players to develop, if we don't achieve it, people will be looking for Wrights head having been backed and allowed to assemble the squad which tends to mean they look for ready made players as times not necessarily on their side. 

Very unlikely you'll attract the higher end players unless you're in the top division and you throw daft money at them and given were through both a pandemic and relegation, we're never doing that. 

Let's judge the team on what we're seeing this season - not what they did previously. 

Edited by LH31

8 minutes ago, LH31 said:

I believe the aim and ambition is to get promoted this season. Whilst not disagreeing with the point about young players to develop, if we don't achieve it, people will be looking for Wrights head having been backed and allowed to assemble the squad which tends to mean they look for ready made players as times not necessarily on their side. 

Very unlikely you'll attract the higher end players unless you're in the top division and you throw daft money at them and given were through both a pandemic and relegation, we're never doing that. 

Let's judge the team on what we're seeing this season - not what they did previously. 

I’ve tried to do that and got panned for it so you really can’t win. But f**k it I’ll try again!

We definitely need at least one striker that’s better than what’s there. Most people that have watched us at least agree about that. Personally I think we need two.

I think we need someone that can drive us forward  from midfield. We can’t rely 100% on getting a ball out to Burke and hoping he’ll make things happen. If Clyde can nullify him completely with a tactical change then I’d expect most  championship managers will implement that from the start, rather than at half time. Maybe that player is Polworth or maybe it’s Rory - or maybe even Robinson . I’ve not seen Polworth or Robinson but Rory did it at times yesterday. Maybe we will be ok but maybe not.

I think we need a left back - based on only having seen Haunstrup this season - he looks lacking to me and seems determined never to use his allegedly better foot.

Otherwise  I think we look ok or likely to become ok with more games.

10 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I really don't get this?

Haunstrup obviously still there...

But look at that defense and Goalkeepers.

We've got 2 good keepers, and 3 centre halves all proved already there is a battle to start even with our captain and vice captain Young Sanders looks good enough

58 minutes ago, LH31 said:

Elaborate please. 

Despite what people said about Dicker, Power and Broadfoot they were of a higher standard at the start of last season than the average standard now. (Based on what I have seen.) Whether what we have is good enough, because of the drop in standard in the Championship and the impact of covid on budgets remains to be seen. Ask me again in October.

Edited by gdevoy

19 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Despite what people said about Dicker, Power and Broadfoot they were of a higher standard at the start of last season than the average standard now. (Based on what I have seen.) Whether what we have is good enough, because of the drop in standard in the Championship and the impact of covid on budgets remains to be seen. Ask me again in October.

Nope Broadfoot and Dicker were nowhere near the form they finished the season before and never even got close to it all season. Did you actually watch the games last season. 

26 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Murray is miles ahead of the Broadfoot from last season

1 hour ago, LH31 said:

Elaborate please. 

Power,Brophy,Kiltie,Findlay would stroll the championship.Thats how they are playing in the Premiership or an equivalent level.I would even say Kabamba would be in double figures in this league no problem and is probably the type of forward we are looking for.Big and strong and able to rumble up defences.Burke apart and maybe McKenzie I doubt any of the present squad would find a premiership team.Our squad is probably the best we can get in the division but miles away from even a lower end premiership squad 

1 hour ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

I’ve tried to do that and got panned for it so you really can’t win. But f**k it I’ll try again!

We definitely need at least one striker that’s better than what’s there. Most people that have watched us at least agree about that. Personally I think we need two.

I think we need someone that can drive us forward  from midfield. We can’t rely 100% on getting a ball out to Burke and hoping he’ll make things happen. If Clyde can nullify him completely with a tactical change then I’d expect most  championship managers will implement that from the start, rather than at half time. Maybe that player is Polworth or maybe it’s Rory - or maybe even Robinson . I’ve not seen Polworth or Robinson but Rory did it at times yesterday. Maybe we will be ok but maybe not.

I think we need a left back - based on only having seen Haunstrup this season - he looks lacking to me and seems determined never to use his allegedly better foot.

Otherwise  I think we look ok or likely to become ok with more games.

Agree

It's an entirely new team so no doubt will be learning more about what does or doesn't work as the season goes on. 

47 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Absolute codswallop with the exception of Power.